“For the price, you get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland

You added Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2306 Brick Church Pike, I-24/I-65 Exit 87 (Trinity Ln), Nashville, TN 37207   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #128 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Portland, Oregon
“For the price, you get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I stayed at this property in September on a one day trip to Nashville. I booked it because it was cheap and it was advertised as a hotel in downtown Nashville. Upon my arrival, I found out that it was about a 5-10 minute drive to downtown.

The check in staff was quite pleasant. The room itself met the minimum criteria, but it was not in the best part of town. I would think this hotel caters to road travelers, like truckers who need a cheap place to stay. I was a little worried about safety, but didn't have any problems while there.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

bad area,nightclub next door,cant sleep for noise.
vagrants asking for money,hookers around area.
dirty rooms, bugs on bathroom floor,no chain lock on door.very rude arrogant manager named sam.
would not stay here at any price.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Winston Salem
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

I had only a few hours to get some sleep before traveling on only to find that the elevator was NOT WORKING and was informed by the front desk that I would have to leave all my baggage and equipment on the first floor and walk up 4 floors to an available room. Upon asking about rooms on the first floor, the response was that rooms were available but all needed to be cleaned and I could wait in the lobby for one to be cleaned. I could understand if this was the middle of the night, but this is at 11 a.m. Why were these available rooms not being cleaned? Why couldn't Management have someone clean a room for me all while I sat in the lobby waiting over two hours. Finally after the available rooms were cleaned the front desk informs me that I can NOT check into any of these rooms because there are later reservations for them and these rooms are higher dollar rooms. Why would you have someone sit in the lobby for two hours waiting for a room to be cleaned, well knowing that you are not going to offer this room? Also why would you not offer assistance by your staff in having baggage delivered to a room on a upper floor that you have immediately available. First, Customer service is something to be desired at this location and you can forget about getting decent rest time! Thanks a lot Howard Johnsons!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Kettering, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed here because it was close to the freeway, a great price, and is north of downtown. The neighborhood probably was good a generation or two ago, but is now rundown; the torn down building lot across from the office, the steel fence around the parking lot, the out of business strip bar behind the property, and the number of guests that seem down and out even make a cheapskate like me a bit nervous. And I didnt care for the handyman that liked to smoke everytime he rode in the elevator. But, the room was great. Newly refurbished, quiet, clean, and very comfortable. The housekepping staff was at work at weird hours (in the evening) and the free breakfast was plain lousy; not even up to the bread spread that most WyndhamRewards hotels give out. There is a great BBQ place around the corner and it is a better location for those headed north in the morning. The traffic going south didn't thin until around 9:30 a.m.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2009

My wife and I had booked a 2-night stay at Howard Johnsons Nashville Central through Expedia approximately 3 months prior to our intended stay in October. We realised upon arriving here that we had been booked into a smoking room, which was actually Expedia’s error. I spoke with a man by the name of Sam Patel who told me that we couldn’t be placed into a non-smoking room. He told me that if we didn’t want to stay, he would refund us one night’s tariff (seemingly as a goodwill gesture) and gave me his business card and told me that I would have to contact Expedia to do so. They, in turn, would contact him directly and arrange the refund. We moved on, found another hotel and enjoyed our stay in Nashville.

I finally contacted Expedia about this when we returned to Australia (admittedly about 3 weeks after the event) who told me that they contacted Mr Patel on two occasions. On both occasions he has denied any knowledge of offering a refund.

Clearly this man is either a liar, or has a memory problem and I would heartily recommend that you AVOID this hotel.

Really, the money is not a big issue – the figure is only in the vicinity of $50 or so and we were aware that it was a budget hotel booking through Expedia, but this type of practice is just a slap in the face to customers and-–to me–reflects badly on the entire Howard Johnsons network of hotels. I am planning further visits to the US in the next few years and I will most definitely be avoiding this chain altogether, wherever I travel in the US.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Muskoka, Ontariio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

I booked this room because I was travelling from Sarasota, via Atlanta, to Nashville then on to Toronto, and did not want to take a chance on missing my Toronto connection so decided to book the cheapest room I could find and stay overnight.

The hotel is in a poor area of town, and I did not feel safe in this area even during daylight. I bought take-out at a local restaurant, then hid out in my room with both locks on the door and a light on all night.

The hotel has four floors, but no elevator. The rooms are all accessible from outside via stairs at either end of the building. My room was at the stairs on the second floor, so I heard everyone coming and going past my room.

The lobby closes at 9pm and anyone checking in after that time has to do so through a security window. The door to the lobby is unlocked at 7am. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in the safety of the property.

The room itself is large with small fridge, micro-wave, coffee maker, hair-dryer and iron. To get ice, I needed to go outsde, down the stairs, around to the other side of the building and at the far end of the building. When I asked the front desk clerk where the ice mahine was (while she was smoking just outside the main entrance), she said it was "around the corner". Don't expect to get any help with anything, unless from another guest at the hotel. (Another guest carried one of my suitcases up the stairs for me.)

I will sleep restlessly tonight and am anxious to get to the airport and out of here in the mornng.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I recently planned a trip around the southeastern US and wanted places to stay that were close to the highway. Unfortunately I happened to pick this no-tell motel! My cousin and I and our kids had been travelling for many hours and just wanted to check in and go to bed. It was about 11 p.m. and the kids wanted to get to bed.
The room was worse than terrible. There was some kind of bug on the ceiling, and more insects dead and alive on the floor around the luke-warm fridge. The carpet was filthy, and my feet came up MUDDY when I stepped into the tub. When we pulled back the covers, there was dried blood on the underside of the cover. The blankets were grimy and wrinkled and looked like someone had just climbed out of them. There were two wrinkled flat sheets on each bed that smelled of smoke (even though this was a non-smoking room). Because we were all exhausted, but against our better instincts we decided just to sleep in our clothes and get out first thing in the morning after letting management know about the room.
In the morning we found some more blood stains on the mattress and decided we absolutely had to complain. I caught up to my cousin at the front desk and asked if she had talked to the manager who was standing behind the counter. First thing he said to me very insultingly, was that he couldn't give me a refund because I should have come back out to the lobby the night before. I informed him that I was not looking for any refund or discount but wanted to register my dissatifaction with the room. We had a pretty heated exchange at this point because his whole demeanor was so insulting to my family. He threatened to call the cops at which point I encouraged him to go ahead and that I would have my say in front of the cops and asked my cousin to get my video cam. At this point he stopped his sidekick from dailing and his demeanor definitely changed. I went back to the room and took video of the grossness.
I have since contacted Howard Johnson and lodged a complaint. Let's see where that goes.

If there is anyone who is considering staying at this hotel, it's not worth the trouble. Like the other reviews said, it's dirty, loud, unsafe, a real hotel hell.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland? Share your experiences!