“Low Rate and a Clean Bed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland

You added Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2306 Brick Church Pike, I-24/I-65 Exit 87 (Trinity Ln), Nashville, TN 37207   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #126 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Galloway, New Jersey
“Low Rate and a Clean Bed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Please do not let some of these other views deter you from staying here if your need is a clean bed and a very low rate.

After reading some of the other reviews, it seems people forget to book there hotel in accordance with their needs. If you are vacationing with your family for a week, it would likely be wise to book with another hotel at a higher rate. For a sub $40 hotel, I expect an air conditioner, a bathroom, and a clean bed. This hotel had all of these things and was perfect for a crash and go stay. The neighbor hood has seen better days, but there is a fence around most of the property. The room looked old, but was clean enough and all of the faucets and appliances worked.

Long story short: If you need a place to crash for a night or two with a very cheap rate, this will certainly do fine. I would not recommend this place for vacationing families or any long term trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator if you have a lot of baggage. Rooms on the back side are slightly...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Arrived at the hotel which we had to book at the last minute due to a change in plans.
It is not near Opryland; it is not near downtown. The elevator is at the back of the hotel and the room they gave us is at the front. The room is nice enough but - lamp unplugged, phone didn't work, no refrigerator. The smelly drunk in the elevator should have told us to cut and run.
The maintenance man, who came to fix the phone had words of wisdom. "Push the drunk out of the way," "Don't worry about the club next door, it only gets really noisy when the people leave at closing." Can't tell you about the breakfast yet. Oh, we moved the car from the back to the front so it can be seen from the office. This neighborhood is "seedy."

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, ask for a room that does not face the club.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Normal, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I just needed an acceptable room for a night's stay in Nashville. That's exactly what we got. Decided on for price, location, and pet friendly (although we found a dog sitter, so I can't directly comment on exactly how friendly).

First impressions, the outside is a little old and dingy looking. As we were walking in to check in, we were met by someone very angry about the room she had just checked into saying it was nothing like the picture or description, no microwave, no fridge, to small, etc. and she was on her way to get a refund. She reached the front desk before us, and the friendly person at the front desk made a phone call to (I assume a supervisor), and as she was calling asked my name and got me my key card and said thank you. Multi tasking and calm in the face of anger front desk is a win in my book.

The front lobby was also pretty immaculate. Clean, aesthetically pleasing, and comfortable looking. Though I doubt many people use it at a HoJo. Anyway, we get to our room, and it's clean, with clean bedding and bathroom/sink area. No fridge or microwave, but I wasn't expecting such, so no big deal. For the $50 I paid (taxes and fees included), the price and location was great. 10 minutes from downtown, 10 minutes from our concert venue, and walking distance to plenty of fast food/convenience stores. Bed was comfortable, pillows weren't bad, and blankets were large.

The biggest plus, and this deserves its own paragraph, was the water pressure. I've been taking the flow restrictors out of every shower head I've purchased for years. The water pressure in the shower was more powerful than many of the unrestricted heads I've had. Absolutely amazing shower.

Now the problems; none of them a big deal for someone who just needs a bed for a night, but 3-4 days could get really annoying. First, our reservation was for a king bed room, and our room was 2 queen. Plus side means extra pillows (3 pillows on each queen bed), down side means we're more cramped sleeping together since we're used to a king at home. Could have asked the front desk for a new room, but again, not a big deal for a single night. Second, "free internet" was all password protected, and I was never given a password. Could have asked the front desk for one, but I shouldn't have needed to. Probably because of the woman demanding a refund, but if I hadn't had my phone's internet I would have been pretty upset. The "free breakfast" was downright pathetic. A couple loaves of bread and a toaster, a pitcher (nothing to keep it cold) of milk, and a couple of cereal choices. And a couple icky looking muffins were left (at 7am) along with some very strong coffee. If you want an actual breakfast, plan on eating somewhere else.

Overall, I would have no problem staying again for a night, but if I was planning a longer stay, I would definitely seek out other options.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012 via mobile

I found the hotel on the web, it's nonthing like it appears to be, not even a micro fridge in the room. On convince its close to the downtown area. The backside of the hotel has club stream side has club, need say more about that

Stayed April 2012
Perugia, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011 via mobile

I spent 6 nights in this hotel outside the downtown many miles. good the position near the highway to reach the downtown. During the night was not really quiet and one night we was also waked by police because someone arguing back in the hotel. in front of the hotel there is a discoteque and the music come sometimes in the rooms in the night. breakfast is poor but staff peoples are kind and able to solve problems.

• Stayed December 2011
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

We were traveling from Florida to Kansas. Stayed here on Monday, August 15th, 2011. Room was clean, staff was OK, easy to get to, as it is right off the highway. We drove back downtown for dinner--maybe 10 minutes at most.
I will say, they advertise free continental breakfast and there was NOTHING there in the morning. They do need to stop advertising that.
Otherwise, this hotel was fine for sleeping and cleaning up.

Room Tip: Reserve room on website first--quite a bit cheaper.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Toledo, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Arrived at 12:30pm,lebanese gentlemen at desk said check in was 3pm. We left and came back at 3pm. We had gotten a coupon out of a hotel coupon book we picked up at gas station. It was for 32.99. We presented it at the front desk upon check in,he said they were all sold out,even though there was like 3 cars in the entire parking lot. I was furious that he was not honoring this coupon. My husband had some words with him about this issue and all he could say is "I want your business but can't give you a room for the 32.99". My husband said to him,"you shouldn't put an ad in book if your not going to honor it". He wanted to charge 50.00 plus tax. Like I said in the title,this place is a joke and they won't honor their 32.99 coupon. Don't waste your time driving there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Howard Johnson Downtown/Opryland? Share your experiences!