“A Decent Place to Hang Out and Quaff a Few Brews” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“A Decent Place to Hang Out and Quaff a Few Brews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on West End for a few nights (a place that we recommend, by the way), so one evening when I had worked up a thirst walking up and back from the Parthenon in Centennial Park (which we also recommend), we bopped across the street from the Inn and checked out Blackstone. It's a nice, big, well organized, welcoming place inside, with a good U-shaped bar and plenty of tables at which you can stand and drink, the proper position which allows you to fill up your gut without excessive gas build up and consequental burping. The background music was a little annoying and I'll bet it's pretty noisy when crowded, but so be it. It's a brew pub, after all. I sat at the bar and was pleasantly and professionally served by Tiffiny, who knew her beers... all of which on tap are brewed on site. I jokingly asked her for a Bud Lite, which to me tastes like distilled water, and she barely laughed. So I actually started with a very good crafty flavored Porter, very good, but I'd prefer Guinness or, better yet, Murphy's. But the local stuff was good, too. To eat, I had a yellow fin tuna sandwich, medium rare, with mayo, capers, red onions, plus fries. It was just okay, and the fish hardly fit the plain white bun, which I would have toasted a bit or replaced with something more interesting, even a kaiser roll. The tuna needed a lot more zip and the fries were not as good as the ones at Noshville, the deli close by on Broadway. Maybe some cole slaw, a usual accompaniment to fish which was not served here, would have helped. I washed down the sandwich with a pint of Chaser Pale that was very grassy, but worked okay. In summary, the food was uninspiring, but acceptable for a brew pub, the beer was fresh, crafty and pretty good, the atmosphere was fine and the service was excellent. Two pints and a tuna sandwich for $25? Not bad.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Atlanta, Georgia
“Busy for a Sunday Night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I needed a quick meal to end a travel day and chose Blackstone. My chicken and rice soup was outstanding and served piping hot. The house salad had a number of vegetables and two kinds of cheese on it and was larger than I expected. Service was the low point of the experience. While the food came quickly, getting the bill and paying it were a time consuming process. Also, the waiter (a younger man) kept referring to me as "boss" which I found inappropriate. As said in the title the crowd was large for a Sunday night but not boisterous.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Scottsdale
“Average, Average, Average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

If you're looking for great beer and great food, keep looking. If you're looking for convenience to Vanderbilt, good and friendly service, and you don't care much about the beer or food, then this is
an ok stop. We tried a sampling of all the beers--and the four of us couldn't rave about any of them. The best thing we tasted food-wise were the grits, but other than that, mediocre bar food. Nothing very special, and given the other choices in this area, I would pass.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, United States
“Gotta go with the Gouda Grits!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

While in Nashville on business I found the Blackstone Restaurant and Brewery. I had the Pork Tenderloin in Chipotle BBQ sauce with Gouda Grits. The tenderloin was really good but the grits were fantastic. Can't wait to eat here again and have whatever comes with the grits!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Nyack, New York
“Good beer, food so-so”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nice atmosphere, waitstaff was accomodating and the beer was very good. The menu was very much bar kind of food with not much variety.

Visited July 2013