“be VERY careful when you order!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Mt. Juliet, TN
“be VERY careful when you order!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

Last night, two friends and I decided to visit Mikado for dinner. One of my friends was a regular patron, my other friend had been there a few times, and it was my first visit. I was impressed when my friend pointed out that the restaurant had a 100 health department score. The other friend ordered a mudslide while we waited in the bar to be seated. The bartender was great and made a tasty, beautiful drink for my friend. Once we were seated, things began to go down hill.

First, after we had been seated for several minutes, the host came back and told us we would have to move to a different table because he had mistakenly seated us at a table which was reserved. Ok, no big deal. We looked at our menus and agreed that we all wanted the same thing: The Mikado Combination, which was shrimp, chicken, and steak. Since we were all getting the same thing, I was listening very carefully as my friend ordered first. I very clearly heard him correctly order The Mikado Combination. I then heard the heavily-accented waitress confirm by saying, "The Mikado Combination, number 10." I recognized the name of the dish, and didn't give the number a thought. I had never seen the menu before that night so didn't know number 10 from any other dish. When the chef arrived and began to cook our dinner, we noticed lobster on the grill. I spoke up and told the chef that our dinner did not come with lobster. He asked if we had ordered number 10. I said that I didn't know the number, but that it was the Mikado Combination with shrimp, steak, and chicken. Apparently that dish, at number 9, is the one directly above the Mikado SPECIAL Combination, number 10. We expressed that we were sorry for the misunderstanding, but that we had ordered the Mikado Combination, whatever number that was. The main difference is that number 10 is almost twice the price of number 9. He seemed unsure of what to do, but looked at us and said something to the effect of....well, I've already started to cook it now, the waitress is new, I'll take care of it. He then called the waitress over, told her of the mistake, and instructed her to charge us for number 9. Before I was even half way through my dinner, with an almost full plate of food in front of me, she brings our checks, places a dish of sherbert in front of us, right next to a still hot grill and tells us that our orders were confirmed multiple times and that she will have to charge us for the more expensive dinner. We tried to explain, told her of our conversation with the chef and how we had tried to correct the problem as soon as we saw the mistake. She then goes on to tell a different story about what the chef said and that she was sorry, but that he had cooked the more expensive dinner after also confirming our order. She honestly made us feel like she thought we were trying to cheat the restaurant. Needless to say, a rather tense discussion ensued and they did eventually, very obviously grudgingly, charge us for the less expensive dinner, but only after humiliating us in front of the other patrons and totally ruining the rest of our meal. We left immediately, with me only consuming half my meal. I have NEVER been treated so poorly by wait staff in my entire life and I will not be going back to this establishment. The area around this restaurant has deteriorated in recent years and I can only guess that perhaps this has become an issue for them. I would also suggest that perhaps the items on the menu should have more distinctive names and the waitresses should speak better English.