“Didn't have the experience others had” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Coffee Shop, International, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner
Nashville, Tennessee
“Didn't have the experience others had”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Had heard about this place for some time in East Nashville so went there with out of town guests to try dinner and catch some music.

We had been told that the shepherd's pie was a "must try". Well, I have been to four different places that serve shepherd's pie in Nashville and this is a very distant fourth. It comes in a metallic pan - similar to what you might get to take leftovers home in. And the metallic taste seeps into the dish. Three of us at the table ordered it and we all agreed - it wasn't that good. Actually, it was pretty bad. Another in our party ordered the Chicken Pot Pie which turned out be more like Chicken Pot soup.

They have a marginal selection of draft beer but overall a decent selection of bottles.

It's ok for kids, I guess. We went there to hear some music and the schedule indicated someone would be playing at 6:30 for "family night". Problem was, when we left a little after 7p, no one ever showed up to play. So, no music.

The vibe and service is very bohemian. It is East Nashville after all. That's ok to a point but no one wants to see a waitress sitting at the bar with her legs propped up on another chair acting as if they were just there lounging. Nit picky I know, but, I'm a little over restaurants that are more interested in looking and acting like they don't care about customers.

OK so, by the time we left the place (as small as it is) filled out very nice with locals including some families. So, my choosing to pass on a future dinner at this place will obviously not hurt their business.

I might return some time to hear music there as they appear to get great Nashville songwriting talent from the east side of town. But, based on my experience who knows if the performers are going to show?

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Brentwood, Tennessee
“Restaurant for Locals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I enjoyed their shepherd's pie, along with the environment. It's not in the safest part of East Nashville so make sure you lock your cars, etc.

Visited October 2012
“Best Atmosphere & Comfort Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Incredible Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes and Gravy! I rarely eat meat and typically don't pick American fare as a first choice for food - but I inhale this when I am at The Family Wash! The Shepherd's pie, both with meat and vegetarian is awesome! This is one of my favorite places to eat in the fall and winter!

Visited August 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Best Birthday ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Celebrated my birthday there with some friends and it was fantastic. The Shpeherd's Pie was great, the atmosphere hip and funky and the music awesome. Chris West was in residence that night and when he promised to play Happy Birthday for me I thought I would get a few short riffs. Instead I got one of the best jazz renditions I have ever heard, Definitely visit, ESPECIALLY if Chris West is playing.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Florence, Kentucky
“Great Restaurant-Great Music”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This place is now my new favorite restaurant in Nashville. It's a little on the quirky side but if you're okay with restaurants/bars like that then you'll love this place. It reminded me of a place you would find in Seattle or Portland but not Nashville. It definitely caters to a more "hip" vibe but anyone would be welcome. We made a reservation and they gave us the best table in the house. When you're there, start with the baked brie and then go for one of their homemade pot pies. In addition to the good food they also had live music. It was some of the best jazz music I have heard in a long time. Eat, drink, tip well and enjoy!

Visited May 2013