“Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Capitol Grille

Capitol Grille
231 6th Ave N, The Hermitage Hotel, Nashville, TN 37219-1903 (Downtown Nashville)
615-345-7116
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Capitol Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 1,718 Restaurants in Nashville
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Nashville
Cross street: Union
Minneapolis, MN
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I loved this place. My husband and I both had the onion/brie soup and it was terrific. We could have just had some more of that and been perfectly happy! The breads were good. The meat was tender and tasty and we paired it with a perfect wine. I loved my scoop of popcorn salty ice cream. Breakfast the next morning was also excellent. This restaurant also has great drinks and service.

Visited May 2013

Monroe, LA
“Very disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were visiting our son and his wife and wanted to treat them to a special evening at a nice restaurant. We looked forward to seeing the hotel and to enjoying our meal. The first clue that it was not going to be what we anticipated was the smell when we walked in. To me, it smelled a little like raw meat; definitely not a pleasant odor. It took quite a while for the waiter to take our drink order and even longer to actually get our drinks. The service was equally slow getting bread at our table. My son and I ordered the trout, which was very bland. The Swiss chard was gritty; it had not been thoroughly washed. My daughter-in-law ordered chicken, which she described as "ok". My husband enjoyed his filet. When we were ready for a check, we waited another 20 minutes until we flagged down the waiter. It was not as if the restaurant was crowded and the waiter was overextended. It was not crowded at all. It was a very disappointing dining experience. We won't be back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Waltham, Massachusetts
“Commence with the Cuisine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This was the perfect choice for our daughter's graduation dinner. The Capitol Grille (not to be confused with the CapitAl Grilles outside of Nashville) Is one of my favorite restaurants! The southern charm is readily apparent as you are graciously greeted upon entering the comfortably elegant dining room. The hatch print menus and "Brooks Bros. Mumford and Sons" waitstaff uniforms (not sure if my son made that up or read it somewhere) give a sense of tradition and warmth. The menu has a good deal of variety and features top-notch, fresh ingredients. The service is exceptional. Efficient, but not at all overbearing. My husband's steak was not prepared properly and it was whisked away. A manager was at the table in seconds apologizing, and an order of mac and cheese appeared in moments so that we all were able to eat together. The steak returned grilled to perfection. Cocktails and wine were superb. The coconut cake was amazing.

I love brunch here, too. My favorite version of eggs benedict ever -- on biscuits with gravy.... I will miss this place -- and the friendly doormen who make every day at Capitol Grille special. Thanks for the memories!

• Visited May 2013
Miami
“Great breakfast 5-stars, great happy hour 5-stars, so-so dinner 3-stars”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We had breakfast at the Capitol Grill & happy hour at the Oak Bar every day for 7 days and scrupulously enjoyed everything we had. Let me say that the Tennessee Jack Egg sandwich with Jack Daniel’s whiskey infused toast, fried egg, bacon & tomato gravy & the Egg & Gravy with a poach egg, tomato gravy served on grits were out of this world.

Happy hour at the Oak Bar. They have some interesting nibbles from $4 to $5; bologna sandwich, fried pickles, fried green tomatoes, Mississippi sin dip (pimento cheese with ham), $7 wine & $4 beer. We stopped at the Oak Bar every day for happy hour – good food at good prices.

We made dinner reservations at the Capitol Grille. We had the steak, mash potatoes & greens. Steak was delicious, mash potatoes were watery & not creamy like their grits at breakfast & the greens were horrible, they were made with vinegar & cream – not eatable in my opinion. Great service, great ambiance but we were very disappointed with the food especially after reading all the fabulous reviews this place got.

• Visited March 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Elegant atmosphere and wonderful food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We happened upon the Capitol Grille while walking around downtown during our first-ever visit to Nashville. It is part of the Hermitage Hotel and is a lovely and elegant restaurant, but we felt perfectly welcome in our casual tourist attire. It was well past lunchtime (2:30ish - we had just arrived in Nashville from New Mexico), so the dining room was near empty. The menu reflects dishes that contain meat, poultry and produce that is locally grown - much of it comes from the HH (Hermitage Hotel) Farm. My husband ordered the HH Stack burger and I ordered a bowl of the sweet onion bisque soup (a specialty of theirs) and a layered pea salad, made in the southern style and served in a mason jar! We finished off with a shared slice of coconut cake - a hotel specialty that has been made for over 40 years. The food was delicious, beautifully presented and the service was outstanding. The young man who served us (William) was friendly and attentive. Since the restaurant was quiet at the time, we chatted with him and asked for some recommendations of things to see and do while in Nashville - he was most helpful and his recommendations were spot on! Our bill came to $51.35, which included 2 beers and a ginger ale. Be sure to check out the Hermitage Hotel's lobby - you'll feel as though you have stepped back in time! We will enjoy the restaurant for dinner, the next time we are in Nashville.

• Visited April 2013