“Very central” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nashville Downtown Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Nashville Downtown Hostel
You added Nashville Downtown Hostel to your Saves list
177 First Ave North, Nashville, TN 37201 (Downtown Nashville)   |
London, United Kingdom
“Very central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The hostel couldn't really get any closer to the centre of town, perfect for strolling back from the bars. Good social hostel with great communal areas good for meeting people. The hostel is extremely clean and the bathrooms were very modern. The rooms are all named after a band or musician which is a very nice touch in music city. Cheap washing available and ample rooms. The only complaint was that there was no window in the room and pipes on the ceiling which made us feel a little like we were in a prison cell. Overall though very comfy and would stay again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I planned a 2 day solo trip to Nashville over 4th July and I'm so glad I chose to stay at this Hostel. Everything was really clean and tidy and the kitchen was great to use on a use-it wash-it basis. I stayed in the 8-bed dorm and made good friends with all seven other people.

The common room was where the real fun happened though, maybe it was just because it was 4th July but there were 20+ other young travellers such as myself who each had their own stories to tell and drinking games to introduce, it was a fun atmosphere altogether. There were people playing some music in the background on their instruments, people singing, sharing beer and having a laugh.

The hostel is really well-located being just a 2 minute walk from the honky-tonks and there is a convenient store just up the road (Church Street).

I'd recommend staying here on your visit to Nashville and I can only hope that you have as good a time as I did.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

There are some great aspects about this hostel and then some not so great ones. First of all, it is in a great location, better than just about most hotels in the area. Secondly, it felt pretty secure, since a key card was required to gain entry to just about every section of the hostel, meaning unauthorized access is unlikely. The staff was great as well, with one noteable exception which I will detail in the next section. There was also a great lounging facility which I did not frequent but others appeared to enjoy.

Here are some of the bad aspects. First of all it kinda feels as if you get charged for just about everything from towels, overpriced laundry facilities, keeping your bag in the reception area, etc. Secondly, there are no lockers in the rooms, they are located in a seperate somewhat isolated area. I think anybody who would want to could easil clip those locks, which you have to provide yourself, and clean them out unnoticed, I couldn't locate any cameras providing additional security. Fourth, there was no window in my room, which I had to share with three other males, two of whom seemed kinda not happy having to share their room with others. Fifth, the bathrooms could be a little cleaner. At last, there is which in my book, was the worst offense. I have arranged with one of the employees that i would be doing my laundry after I check out (I paid $7 for using their machines) which he was really friendly about and happily agreed too. When the time came, he was busy doing something on the computer and therefore referred me to his co-worker for assistance. That person, a heavy set guy with a beard couldn't have been more rude, I informed him about my plans, to which he nastily responded that once I checked out he/we kinda want you to leave. He then briefly suggested that I would have to pay for another night if I were to stay and do my laundry. All of that was communicated in a contracending and rude fashion. I guess that he does not have much to say in the outside world so he takes it out on the guests. I did end up doing my laundry after shortly pleading with him and getting his assurance that I won't get charged for another night, just for staying one hour longer and doing my laundry which I would pay for. That experience kinda put a damper on my feeling towards
this particular hostel.

• Stayed July 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was a bit weary of my extended weekend trip (Thursday-Sunday) to Nashville. It was mid-April. I was going for a conference by myself and then spending the weekend exploring the city and honestly I was on a budget. After looking up some places online, I came across this hostel. It was an excellent choice! When I arrived the people were really friendly. I had questions and needed assistance and everyone was so helpful (including when I couldn't make my key card work...I was trying to go into the wrong room >_<). I didn't know what to expect concerning the dorms, but I was pleasantly surprised to have such an excellent view. It's right across the street from the river, and about a block off of Broadway street.

There was a diverse group of people staying there. My roommate was from Australia and I made friends from Denmark, China, England, and Brazil! Some were there for vacations, others for school trips. Essentially everyone seemed to be above the age of 31 (except one or two people). It was a great matching and my roommate and I hit it off really well. We met up with two people who we met in the lobby area and hit the town!

The hostel is very clean and well organized. Occasionally there was music in the lobby by random people. A key card is required to get into the elevator, the dorm area, and the room itself, so I felt really safe at all hours.

I really recommend this place! On a side note, the only thing I didn't account for was parking! You can get a pass from their lot or find other places to park around the city (all varying prices).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here for a five day spring break trip with five friends and we all had a great time. Within easy walking distance of tons of bars/attractions, and the common areas and rooms are very clean and well-furnished. The staff is amazing, hanging out with them definitely made our trip more fun. I would definitely stay here again if I make a trip back to Nashville!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Abilene, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in several hostels, and this was the nicest/newest looking. For the most part everything was very clean (although some guests did leave a mess behind).

While the lobby is loud and busy, the rooms upstairs are quiet and nice. I even managed to get a full sized bed in my women's room, which was a nice surprise. The beds were comfortable enough. The room needed lockers, although we managed fine without them. It also really needed a better curtain to block the sun. By 6 AM the sun was shining so brightly through the window that I couldn't sleep without putting a towel over my face. There was also occasional noise from partying outside--bring your ear plugs.

In addition to shared baths, each floor also had a couple of single baths that I managed to get into almost every morning when I was up by 7 or 8.

The hostel kitchen was nice, and I enjoyed several meals there.

I felt safe in this hostel and was in a great location to explore downtown. This may be the best hostel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed June 2013
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I just stayed here for 4 days for CMA Fest, after my sister told me about the Vandy location, where she had stayed in 2009, so I found this location, and I wasn't disappointed! From the moment I arrived, to check out time, everyone was so friendly and accommodating, and not only that, I made two new friends in two of my roommates! I had a 4 bunk, all female room, and although it was a bit cramped, it felt more like a summer camp to me, with the camaraderie between us ladies.

The bathrooms were immaculate, ad spacious, the downstairs lounge area was well set up with plenty of comfy seating, lots of plugs to charge electronics at, a piano, 4 computer terminals (at $5 an hour, or $15 for your stay), a mini fridge with pop, water and juice for only $1 a piece (you pay at front desk), two mini fridges to store your beverages, one for just beer.

This hostel is just steps to Church street, and very close to Broadway and the honkytonks, well within walking distance to the new Music City Center where Fan Fair X was held.

One of the fellas working (didn't get his name, he had longer hair in a ponytail) went above and beyond calling around trying to find out about a shuttle to Opry Mills Mall (turns out Grayline had discontinued their shuttle two years ago), and when I was ready to leave Tim phoned for a cab for me.

All the rooms are named after famous singers, we were in room 411, named after Ray Charles.

I will definitely be back and plan on telling others about this amazing place!

Thanks Ron and Tracee, you guys ROCK!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Nashville Downtown Hostel? Share your experiences!