“Deserving of #3” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Miami, Florida
“Deserving of #3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Voted #3 by Esquire mag for best new restaurants of 2013. Easy to understand why. We had a really great dinner. There were 8 of us so we had a wide sample of appetizers and entrees. The menu changes, so by the time you read this chances are our dishes won't be on the menu. All I can say is the pasta dishes were as good as we had in Italy. The chicken dish was really delicious. Be sure and make a reservation in advance as they book quickly. Loved this restaurant!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

New York City, New York
“Best Restaurant in Nashville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I live in NY and was visiting Nashville for a long weekend. Had read that this restaurant was a Top 3 for 2013 in Bon Appetit. Seriously, if this place is number three, I don't know what they're doing at the number one. The chicken liver pate was the best thing I've ever tasted, and the squid pasta was unbelievable. I live in NY and I'm dreaming of food in Nashville!? Rolf and Daughters put a spell on me.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nashville, Tennessee
“This really is the best restaurant in Nashville!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Having lived in Nashville for many years, it is very inspiring to return to visit and find a delight like Rolf & Daughters making Germantown even cooler than when I lived just across the way in Hope Gardens.

The four of us tried three appetizers, drinks, entrees and desert; everything was absolutely outstanding! The chicken liver pate is simply amazing, and a must try even if you don't care for chicken liver, as is the shredded butternut squash appetizer. The wait staff is extremely knowledgable regarding the menu and they are very excited to share it with you. Their pasta dishes are clear favorites, but mine, the Bucatini Fra Diovolo with octopus, was weep-worthy. Being my favorite Italian dish (fra Diovolo) I order it in many places and this was the best I have ever had.

I will also make the comment that Rolf and Daughters is not as expensive as it could be. I certainly read many reviews of some of the other restaurants people likened this one to, but I don't think the other restaurants compare in terms of food quality for the price.

Rolf and Daughters is popular for a reason and you need to plan ahead to accomodate. Don't go in thinking it will be quiet and intimate because it isn't. You will be in a din of happy diners and a pretty groovy 80's playlist on the music channel at a respectful level.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charleston, South Carolina
“Best meal of the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I went solo, got seat at a community table. A few minutes later, three guys (one of which lives upstairs in the building) sat next/across from me and we proceeded to strike up a conversation. Next thing you know, I'd tasted all of their food! Heck, I had half the menu! Chicken liver mousse was fantastic, dry cured meatballs were delicious and filling with the bread that comes. Squid ink pasta...tasted and will order next time. Warning, it is busy and loud. Looking for a quiet dinner, this might not be the place. Looking for a great meal with friendly people in an exciting atmosphere, come here!

Visited November 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“Delicious food and cocktails with a few buts...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We went there for a special occasion during our first trip to Nashville. The food was fresh and delicious. The dishes were Italian-inspired, and the simplicity of the dishes let the flavors shine. (I'm sure the preparations were not simple.) We enjoyed the squid ink pasta, the citrusy razor clams and the meatballs in Sunday sauce. The cocktail menu offered a lot of options, especially if you like the pre-Prohibition-inspired cocktails that were en vogue these days. Our waitress was knowledgeable and friendly.

Here are a few buts. The dishes were pricey, and the portions were on the smaller side. (We are all about appropriate portions, and even that, the dishes felt a bit small.) The restaurant did not provide bread, but you can order bread with seaweed butter, which introspect, was not that special. The table was tiny, so it was a juggling act to keep all the dishes on the table, not conducive for sharing or family style. The space was a bit loud. Maybe our voice just got lost in that open space.

And depending on your taste and preferences, the place was very hip. We had fun people watching.

Overall, it was a great experience.

• Visited November 2013