“Pleasantly surprised!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Ranked #86 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Middle Tennessee
“Pleasantly surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I had read many reviews, and was skeptical of what we would find. My husband & I have stayed at several hotels in the area before for pleasure (Gaylord Opryland, Courtyard Marriott, Millenium Maxwell House, Lowe's Vanderbilt), so we have several to compare. All of the others were considerably more expensive. This time we needed a hotel close to the convention center for business and were looking for something a little less pricey as we were booking a room for one of our employees as well. This hotel was just a few blocks from the convention center. We saved on parking (valet parking was included in the room price), and just walked the few blocks. The staff were extremely pleasant & showed the true Nashville Hospitality. When we checked in early, we left our bags in the office to be placed in our room when it was ready. The room had been updated and was clean and was of reasonable size. The a/c was quiet. Our room had a mini frig & microwave with complimentary water, popcorn, and snack bar. The included complimentary breakfast had more than just muffins and cereal. More was included in this "budget" hotel with fewer addons than the other pricey hotels we had stayed. We had a great stay.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Small elevator
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2008

We stayed at this hotel in October 2008. They have begun constructing a building across the street. The construction workers work ALL NIGHT. The hotel staff said that they are working on a government building and if the construction is completed on time or earlier, the construction company will receive a bonus. The result is noise all night long. Trucks are coming and going at all hours. The construction workers truly don't seem to care about how much noise they and their equipment are making. So don't expect to get any sleep. The construction project is just starting and is expected to take several months. I would not plan on staying at this hotel again until May 2009.

• Liked — Good Location
  • Disliked — Too noisy to sleep. Construction across the street.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2008

Downtown Nashville Hotels in general are a little pricey however this hotel was on par with a Red roof or Similar budget hotel were you might expect to pay $50 a night not the $150 I paid. Location was fairly good but I would not use again. Pay the extra for a good hotel or get one a little further out would be my advice

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — Size of toilet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

We decided to stay in town for an extra night to enjoy wonderful Nashville! Needed to do laundry for the evening, the hotel did have a guest landry however I was told that I must go out and get laundry soap, they had none available for purchase. Room was very out dated and not as clean as it needed to be. The bathroom was a horror story- the shower drain shower was clogged with hair and the water drained very slow due to that. I had to put a towel on the floor because I didn't want to get my feet dirty. The hotel did provide free valet parking which was a plus because others in the area changed over $10

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleaness
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to join my significant other on a week long convention that he was attending. His company had made arrangements for his group to stay at the Renaissance Hotel Downtown. ( he was on work time and had a roommate so I was unable to share the room with him) When I was looking for a place to stay, the Best Western seemed to be in the right area, the right price and from the reviews I read seemed like an okay spot to stay. I would only be sleeping there. well.....The room was dirty, the comp. toiletries (shampoo, soap, and hair conditioner) were filled, but the seal was broken and the bottle looked like they were just refilled. The shower head was loose, and the ceiling looked as though it was going to fall in. The carpet was so dirty, I was afraid to walk around without my shoes on. The Elevator had no certificate of inspection nor any instructions if it would stop. The elevator was in poor shape, and had the stairwell been lite, I would have walked to the 4th floor. My first and last morning there, as I was in the elevator, a male staff member got on the elevator with me with a large cart of dirty linen, and proceeded to glare at me making me extremely uncomfortable, and I realized at that moment, being a single traveling women, I was not in a safe situation. As soon at I got to the hotel my SO was staying at, I made arrangement to get a room there for the remainder of my stay. The price difference was only 40 more a night, and well worth knowing that I was in a safer situation. When I did return to the BW to remove my things, the front desk staff sat at the desk eating a pizza with nasty dirty hands as they closed out my bill. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Liked — the ease of checking out
  • Disliked — the whole experience
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auburn, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

I stayed at the Best Western Downtown on a business trip to Nashville. The pros are that it is one of the cheaper priced hotels in downtown, and it is very close to the State Archives, the Southern Baptist Historical Society, and the Nashville Public Library. Valet parking is factored into the room rate, which is nice. The rooms open to the outside, and it can be a bit noisy here at night. The rooms and not stunning, but the bed was comfortable and the staff is very helpful. A nice store ajoins the hotel and you can find snacks there or go out to eat at one of the many nearby resturaunts. Overall, a very functional location in the heart of downtown Nashville if you want to save a dollar and the flash of the larger more glitzy hotels.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

This was the cheapest accomodation I could find on the internet in Downtown Nashville. I stayed 5 nights.

Pros: Decent room size, king size bed, cose to entertainment & tourist attractions, free breakfast.

Cons: A little pricey, bad room smell.

• Liked — Convenient location / free breakfast
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!