“Great staff, but hotel needs some TLC” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #86 of 152 Hotels in Nashville
Michigan
“Great staff, but hotel needs some TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

First and foremost, the staff was out of this world. They really were probably some of the nicest, most accommodating staff I've encountered in a hotel. Everyone always holds the doors for the guests, says good morning/afternoon and asks how everything is.

Now for the hotel itself. I feel it's been under construction for far longer than it should. The rooms are way too small for 4 people. And the outside corridors and elevator are old and tired. In addition, the one night I swear there was a "spring break" type party going on for hours outside. Some of the guests I overheard addressing the rowdy individuals themselves. I saw no help or assistance from the hotel to keep things in order. Which was surprising.

The breakfast was good and offered hot items, which was nice. The location is fantastic for walking to Broadway and other locations downtown. If you're willing to deal with the construction and worn look of the exterior of the hotel, it is a good spot for the price. However, if you're used to a little more high end, I would choose another location.

Again...the staff was very nice and went out of their way. Thank you to each of them during our trip this past weekend.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank nz1511

Janesville, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

My husband and I were going down to meet our friends who had called us the night before when they tried checking in at this place and warned us that it was a dump. They luckily had booked with Expedia and Expedia switched them to a different hotel, we on the other hand had booked with Priceline and Priceline would not let us switch hotels and we were stuck in this dump. We had originally booked this place under Best Western, but little did we know it had already switched names...would have been nice to know that we weren't staying at the hotel we originally booked. There is no security what so ever...drunk people coming in and out, running up and down the hallways. The is literally wires hanging from the ceiling, drywall coming off of the wall, filthy rooms and poor service. We will never book with this hotel again or through Priceline. You think for only staying 2 nights and charging an arm and a leg for this kind of dump they would have given us a discount or refunded some of the money...apparently not.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Danielle M
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed in hotels all over the world. This is the worst priced value I have ever encountered! When you make a reservation, it is not mentioned that a parking fee of $16+ a day is charged for uncovered and unsecured parking. Oh and the "old style" Best Western is Under Construction!!. So we wound up paying close to $200. Tried eating $200 worth of food in the continental breakfast. There is a Sheraton across the street. Wow..amazingly unsatisfactory!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Duckmaster1
Wyoming, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

First of all, I do want to point out that the staff were very friendly and helpful! Also, the rooms were adequate, however slightly small for 4 per room.

However, during our Bachelorette party weekend we were awoke every morning, including weekends by 8am with workers drilling things in the wall, using heavy equipment right outside our windows and yelling instructions across the motel at each other. Not only was the noise a huge issue, but in the hallway there were several loose wires laying around. Outside the hotel they must have been re-painting because they had tarps hanging off of the walls from the 5th floor all the way to the ground with debris falling all over. This debris was falling right around the corner from the main entrance in the direction of downtown so every time we went to walk downtown we had to weave our way through the hanging tarps and debris falling to the ground.

It would have been nice to have been told that this construction was happening!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
1 Thank Jill V
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

This might be a nice place when it is finished but for now it should really be closed. It has no outdoor windows floors and tore up and elevator is on its last leg. Great location to downtown and staff was friendly however it not in any condition for guests.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Covington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Hotel is in bad shape and not a very nice place to stay. Room doors are outside and street noise is bad. Breakfast food and selection was good. Staff was friendly. Parking cost $16.39 per night valet but vehicles were not in a safe monitor area. Vecihles were parked in a public lot with no protection. I would not stay here again. Bad choice on my part.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
      Location
      Cleanliness

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Stephen D
Harrison Township, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

We had booked this hotel in June for three nights. Driving from Michigan, we drove through the night with expected arrival in Nashville around 6am. Knowing we couln't check in until 3pm, we booked the day prior to our arrival, paying full price for a room just to guarantee we'd have a place to sleep when we arrived. I called the hotel prior to booking this extra day, making sure there would be no issue. We called the two days prior to leaving as well, confirming they had in the "notes" that we 'd be arriving at 6am. We were told it wouldn't be any issue. We get to the hotel about 6:30am only to be told "there was a leak" in the room and they had no where for us to sleep. After a long conversation with the front desk clerk about why I was not informed prior to arriving, he told me "too bad, this is how it is, you'll have to go the Ramada for today." Not happy, the three of us head 4 miles outside of downtown to the Ramada. That experience is a whole other review in itself.. After driving 9 hours, sleeping for three hours, drozy and tired, we head back to this hotel to check in. I asked to have the manager call me when he come into work. We check into the room, which was ok.. The construction and noise outside is very frustrating and the staff was always gathered outside our window talking. When the manager did call, he was very rude from the start. He said he "paid" for a room at the Ramada for us so he doesn't understand what the problem is. His name was Stacey Lee, he even told me he'd spell it for me because i'm probably "illiterate". He was very rude, telling me that I was acting like i was 12 years old requesting a refund for the room we didn't get.. he also told me that if I try to complain it'd be silly because all complaints come back to him. He told me that there was no LEAK they simply overbooked and can't be responsible for what the front desk tells me. When i told him that no one had even apologized for the inconvenience, he handed the phone to a female at the desk and told her to apologize because he just wouldn't. Had I not paid in advance for this hotel, I would have walked out. Stacey Lee was the WORST hotel manager i've even been in contact with and the rest of the staff was rude and unprofessional. Management would NOT give me confirmation of my refund for that first night. Finally, at checkout I demanded to have proof of my refund, they showed me a piece of paper but I was told I could not keep it. Almost TWO months later, I have finally been refunded after going through a long battle with their corporate office. Nashville itself was incredible, but I'm shocked this hotel manages to stay in business. Will never, ever, even stay close to this place if I return. I have shared with everyone I know to stay as far away as possible. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends