“Be careful with the construction and parking charges here” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

Save Saved
You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Nashville
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
“Be careful with the construction and parking charges here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

We arrived at the hotel to find it was still under major exterior construction with cranes and jackhammers etc. I had called the hotel directly prior to making my reservation and they confirmed me the construction would be complete before our visit. They assured us the noise would stop at 5 PM and not start until 9 am. Then they placed us in a room right next to where there was construction, despite the fact that we passed several vacant rooms walking to ours.( They were not occupied at all during our stay).

We were tired from our drive and wanted to nap so we could enjoy Nashville's Music Row and Broadway at night. The noise prevented any napping. At 6 pm my husband went out and asked a worker when they would be done for the day. He said they were finishing up for the day.

Then to make things worse, they charged us $16 a day for parking at checkout. It was nowhere on my reservation . I talked with the manager and she agreed that the parking should have been on my reservation so she removed the charge which I appreciated.

Other than these issues, the room was spotless and location was good to walk to Broadway, But, the noise was totally unacceptable. I would only recomend this hotel after the construction is totally completed. Until then I think the hotel should offer a reduced rate to compensate. I did not receive any lower rate despite my complaints.

Room Tip: Make sure the construction is totally completed.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night while the hotel was still undergoing construction. I had been forewarned of the construction from reading reviews on TripAdvisor. I booked through a travel site and got a lower price compared to most of the other downtown hotels. Since I was only staying one night, I was willing to put up with the minor inconvenience of the construction.

I was attending the "Live On The Green" free concert and after seeing the downtown traffic and the amount of people who showed up, I did not regret my decision to stay at the BW downtown.

I think the hotel name is changing from the Best Western to something else and so it appeared that they may be phasing out the "Best Western" name.

The hotel is indeed in downtown Nashville and a short walk to the War Memorial Plaza, the terrific (and free) Tennessee History Museum, the Performing Arts Center, the Public Square, and many other attractions and it is a very short distance to the highway.

If you need to travel by cab, there is no shortage of them sitting in the street between the BW and the hotel next door. In front of the hotel is a snack shop. There are restaurants and bars nearby.

Upon arriving I was greeted by the valet, who took down my vehicle information and took the car to valet parking. Through previous reviews, I knew that the parking would cost about $17/day - a bummer, but you are downtown so what can you do? The valet was passable but not what I would consider the best for your first impression of your hotel.

Check in was no problem and I was able to check in a few minutes early. I requested and received a higher floor facing the courtyard to escape some of the traffic and construction noise.

The guys that checked me in were nice - the others at the desk did not welcome or greet me (and I had encountered them first). There was no one else there checking in at the time.

My room was on the top (5th) floor. All rooms have doors facing the outside. The walkways to the room had construction going on but nothing too heavy or loud. There was no view other than the other buildings but I was glad for the quiet. There was vending (drinks) outside of the elevator.

The room was pretty nice; it looked like it had been re-done, for the most part. Furnishings were modern and the bed was comfortable. The room included a mini-fridge and coffee maker as well as a safe.

Some cons: while nice, it appeared that the room was not quite finished (nice bathroom fixtures but old, cracking paint). I found hair on the old phone and on the towels. The bathroom had a hair dryer, but as another reviewer noted, it sparked and smoked after about two minutes of use. I took a short shower and the tub took at least 30 minutes to drain. The bathroom also had no fan. The towels were old and thin and not particularly pleasant-smelling. The soaps also seemed old - again, I think they are phasing out Best Western so they are using up what is left (soaps, towels, old phones).

My room was next to the elevator lobby - I did not hear much noise coming from that area or from the room next door, but if people are hanging out outside, you will hear them.

The AC/heat unit was by the window and I had no issues with temperature control.

I got a good night's sleep and the next day I went to the breakfast area on the second floor. It was a small room but not overcrowded when I got there. They had eggs, cereal, bagels, fruit, etc. The coffee was ok and I appreciated the flavored creamer (a touch often overlooked). If you prefer Starbucks, there's one across the street about 3 blocks away. The breakfast attendants were pleasant. During the time I was walking around the hotel in the morning, most of the staff greeted me.

I had about 90 minutes to kill before the 11am checkout, do I went across the street to the War Memorial Plaza and then to the very interesting history museum. Afterwards I checked out and the valet brought my car.

So given that the hotel is not quite finished - if money is an issue but you don't want to stay at, say, a Super 8, the BW is not a terrible option if you are not spending much time there. The surrounding hotels were well over $100 more per night. I would be interested to see this property again once everything is finished and they have replaced the old towels and the tub drains properly. If I had to stay downtown, I would maybe check this hotel out again because of the location and if the price stayed about the same.

Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Good location, nice employers and good valet service. But considering that you have to pay for parking (valet) and that breakfast can be improved, the price should be lower. Also, breakfast could be better. Anyway, is a good place to stay since you are at Broadway with a short walk.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

After reading all the reviews on Trip Advisor I was really apprehensive about staying here but it turned out to be perfect for us. The hotel is no longer a Best Western but is now the Capitol Hotel Downtown. If you want your hotel to include fluffy robes, a beautiful spa and absolute quiet, do NOT stay here. But if you want to spend at least half of what that fancy room will cost for a newly remodeled room with comfortable beds, a mini fridge, a safe, free wifi, nice bathroom, good breakfast and a friendly, helpful staff, then this is the place for you. Although it is not downtown, it is within walking distance of Broadway and right next door to the Sheraton. We had 4 people in a room and felt we had plenty of room to move around. Yes, the bathroom fan is noisy but that can be dealt with by closing the door to the bathroom. Outside construction is still going on but did not affect our stay at all. I personally witnessed the front desk clerk going ballistic on the workers on Sunday morning at 8:30am because the guests were still sleeping and telling the workers they were NOT to begin work this early. I do think $16 a day for parking is steep but the valet was always prompt in getting our cars when we needed them. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

The worst hotel experience of my life. Period. Frankly, it was the worst customer service experience of my life. For your safety and sanity, I beg you to avoid this dump and spread the word. I would give this pigsty 0 stars if I could.

The comprehensive details need to be shared.

My wife and I returned from a night out to find a heavily intoxicated stranger passed out in our bed. I'm not joking. A random man was passed out in our bed. We had double-checked the doors prior to leaving, so have no idea how he gained access. I ask you to consider worst case what could have happened. It's not uncommon for my wife to go to bed before me... I shiver.

We immediately called the front desk from a friend's room to request security involvement. First responder was a valet. I couldn't believe it. A valet. Several minutes later, at a leisurely pace, the security guard joined the valet to assist removing the stranger from our room. It was a joke to them. It gave me the impression that this happens more frequently at this hotel than one would believe. I blew up.

While my friends and I removed my belongings from the room (where a lamp was broken, the shower was turned upside down, and he had used he toilet not to go #1), my wife headed to the lobby to address the issue in a cool and collected manner. I joined her soon after. She was on the phone with the general manager. Her calm demeanor lasted only minutes because of the total lack of empathy.

Stacy Lee (general manager) takes center stage going forward. Our expectation was that they would find us alternate accomodations at a nearby hotel (our preference) and refund our entire stay (only two nights). Reasonable, right? His expectation was that we would return to the room without issue, now that the problem was removed. No way. My issues from that point forward...

Issue 1: He treated my wife and I as if we were the guilty party. His focus was on the drunk. Lee was more concerned with determining who he was, if he was a guest, and getting him to the correct room. He was extremely defensive in his responses to our requests, even telling the women in our group to get the men to "slow their roll" and insisting that we leave his lobby.

Issue 2: They kept the drunk in the lobby with us throughout this exchange. Rather than removing him from the hotel entirely, they had him sitting on a couch in the lobby within feet of us, even allowing him the opportunity to excuse himself to use the restroom. It was infuriating. It begged for problems. Needless to say, it resulted in a verbal altercation. To drive urgency, I called the cops. The right move.

Issue 3: There was no acceptable resolution. With the arrival of the cops and their needed mediation, the drunk was removed from the lobby. This was the only positive, but was driven by us and the cops - not the hotel. After nearly an hour in the lobby, they finally tried to find us hotel rooms in the area. Everything was booked, We were forced to share a room with a friend, with Stacy's commitment that "we would be taken care of in the morning." Stacy claimed he couldn't do anything right then. In the morning, we were welcomed in the lobby by a woman who was similarly defensive and only one of our two nights refunded. Stacy was also "unreachable."

The stupidity at this business is criminal. I'm shouting it from the rooftops. Avoid it at all costs!

It should be noted that I am still seeking resolution.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Disgusting ! My husband had a migraine from the jack hammering which ruined a day of our vacation on top of that they charged us twice for the stay ! Some of the staff is awful what hotel doesn't have a manager on the weekends?!?!?

Some of the staff were very nice but for what I paid I couldn't sleep with all the construction and was tripping over debree unbelievable this place is allowed to operate ! Three people were in the lobby complaining and walking out after checking in 5 mins before !!

Stay away !!!

• Stayed August 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

We went to Nashville with a large group of friends for my birthday. We wanted to stay somewhere within walking distance to Broadway and this hotel was 1/2 mile and $200 per night while others were $300. They were remodeling, but the rooms were finished and they were just working on the exterior. The remodeling didn't cause us any problems! The room was updated and very modern. My only complaint would be that there was nowhere to hang towels in the bathroom, not a single hook! The lobby was fine, valet very prompt, and employees at the front desk were very nice. Breakfast was your typical continental breakfast. The room was very crowded, but that may be due to the remodel. My husband didn't like that the hotel had outdoor corridors, but it didn't bother me. The elevator was accessed thru the lobby, so I didn't feel unsafe. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you want to be close to the action!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!