“stay if you have no choice” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

Save Saved
You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Ranked #87 of 150 Hotels in Nashville
Illinois
“stay if you have no choice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

It is not bad but if you can afford to stay somewhere nicer I would do it. If you like walking the location is fine otherwise you need to take a cab if going downtown or to the convention center. Rooms are very small and bathroom fan was very loud but staff is very pleasant and accommodating as much as they can be.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for the comment. We are working at a very quick pace to get the property updated and it is moving well. We expect to have all areas completed by the end of August and when completed, I am sure your perception will change. I do appreciate the wonderful comments about the staff as they do a great job in serving guests. Hopefully you will reconsider and give us another chance in the future to make a bigger and better impression.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed here over Memorial Day weekend with my two sisters. The first thing I noticed about the room was that the sink was covered in a black film. I thought it might just be an old scratched sink, but it wiped off. I went to bed that night and thought, this might not be the cleanest hotel...I should have trusted my instincts.

A week after our return, I found bug bites all over my legs, feet, and hands. I discovered that it can take up to two weeks for bed bug bites to appear and that is what I found out they were. I have included pictures of the bites on my foot and legs. My sister also had these bites.

I called the hotel and was directed to contact the General Manager. He questioned me about the bites and said that he would look into the accusation that his hotel had bed bugs. He said that he contacted an exterminator company that they have on retainer, they looked at the room I stayed in (416) and said there were no bugs. He also claimed to have contacted the occupants who stayed in our room after we left. He was rude and seemed to imply that it was our fault that we had these bites. He also pointed out that the effort he went to was an extra cost to him. He seemed to be calling me a liar and also hinted that we might have been sleeping elsewhere. Let me make it clear that the only reason we contacted the hotel was NOT to get any sort of compensation, but just to make them aware that they had the problem so that no one would have to go through this.

I don't know if they have done anything to remedy this situation but here's what I do know: We stayed in room 416. My sister and I shared a bed. We both got bed bug bites. We do not live together. I have not gotten any bites since being home. My sister has not gotten any bites since getting home. What does this imply? We got bed bug bites from the hotel room we stayed in at this hotel. Beware.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
First let me say that I am sorry that you had an experience and that you perceived that it occurred here. That is a normal reaction and allegation that at sometime point all hotel will encounter. I am also sorry that you got that wrong perception when we spoke but asking questions is necessary in resolving any kind of alledged issue. We had two certified entities inspect the room as well as a 3rd party extermination vendor come in and re-inspect the room giving it an ALL CLEAR. Upon your departure there were no claim of this incident or any bites shown as you were with us for a few days. I can only go on the official reports by experts in this particuliar field as to the hotels responsibility. For the record, you did ask for compensation after making the allegation and after the investigation/inspection was cleared it was denied based on no evidence to valid your claim. It is unfortunate as we would have liked for you to have enjoyed your stay. Also, let me add that with our renovation all bedding is new and all have protective covers on mattresses. Again, we are sorry for you dissatisfaction.
Saxe, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

we recently stayed here for a few days.as always we were greeted with open arms and treated like royalty.The manager,Tracy and his staff do everything possibly to make your stay a happy, pleasant one.the rooms are recently remodeled,clean,comfortable and reasonable priced.at the present the hotel is still undergoing renovations but it was not a problem for any of the guest.beside the staff and breakfast the hotel is a great location,only a short walk to the Tenn.state capitol,war memoral,Ryman and broadway.If youre in nashville dont pass up the chance to stay at a great place with great people. Jimmy hudson. saxe va.

Decatur, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Do not stay there! Even though, they are "under renovation" the service was terrible, the room was tiny, the noise from the other rooms was loud and the employees yelling at each other down the corridor was unbearable. The "newly renovated upgraded" room was so small the bathroom door could not open past 90 degrees because it hit the sink. The armoire would hit the bed when you opened it. According to the front desk clerk, this was an upgraded room. I can't image what a regular room would be. It reminded me of a cruise ship cabin. The front desk staff assured me the renovation was only on the outside of the building. They didn't say staff would be working, rolling loud carts, hammering and screaming outside the door. We were "welcomed" with a note in the room from Stacy Lee, Hotel General Manager, stating ear plugs were available at the front desk!

Wartburg, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

Cockroaches in rooms! Room odor. NASTY rooms. Just to name a few. The staff was okay, they were much more helpful on the phone than they were in person. It was in a great location for the conference we were attending but I definitely won't be staying here. They need to do some serious renovations to this hotel or I don't forsee it being in business much longer.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Stayed here during CMA Fest. I fully understand demand drove the $400 rate, certainly wasn't the property.

We arrived and the bellman/doorman (not sure what his job was) was sitting on the chairs in the hotel lobby. The lady at the front desk, really short hair, was training a new employee. The new employee was nice but I've never experienced someone as rude as the other lady. It got to a point that i simply asked why she was being so mean. I was very nice saying "please" and "thank you" -- didn't seem to matter as she had some vendetta against everyone that walked in the door.

Once we finally got to our room walking through the construction and elevator from the 1960's (we knew about construction ahead of time) the room itself was actually pretty nice. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Housekeeping was outstanding and the real highlight of the trip. Genuinely nice ladies that had a great big smile every day - was a really pleasant change from the front desk staff.

I encountered a lot of pleasant employees and i can see why some comment on how great they were, however, for me, the first experience with the front desk lady left a bad taste in my mouth.

Location was great but based on my experience, i won't be coming back.

I was traveling for work and forgot a receipt for my bill, as i type this, I've been on hold for 20 minutes trying to speak to someone - seals the deal for me.

Cissna Park, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This hotel is being renovated. There is only one very small and very slow elevator. The lobby isn't bad, but once you finally get off of the elevator you are outside. The rooms are only accessible from the outside. There are wires hanging. The room was tiny and dark although it seemed clean. I do not have any desire to stay there again. The hotel is definitely old and needs a lot of work. The staff was very nice and helpful. It is about 4 blocks from downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for your comments about the staff. They do go out of their way to please all of our guests. We do realize that we have a journey ahead of us to get our renovations completed but when finish, this place will be an absolute jewel and please do come again!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!