“Nice location, but expect some inconvenience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #91 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Nice location, but expect some inconvenience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel is in a great location in downtown Nashville, walking distance to everything. However, it, and the Sheraton next door have renovations going on, and getting to the hotel to park is not easy. Also, you have to circumnavigate the entire block at times to get in (if you're coming up Union St). Despite this, the room was nice, clean, and we weren't bothered by the noise. The staff is very helpful,providing extra supplies that we had forgotten and offering us bottled water when we came in from a long walk.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Aloha,

Thank you for giving us a review during our renovation process. We provide ourselves with exceptional service and would like to invite you back when the Bistro and renovations are complete. Please contact me directly with your future travel plans and thanks again for your feedback.!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

The Best Western Nashville Convention Centre for any visit to Nashville. It is a quick 10 minute walk to Broadway and a quick cab ride over to the Gultch and surrounding areas. The hotel is under renovations, however this did not affect our stay. The staff is extremely friendly and the rooms are clean and very comfortable. Overall, a great stay and I would stay here again upon my return to Nashville.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Las Vegas, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

When I booked the room I was not told about any type of construction going on. The minute I got to my room I could not hear anything because of the loud ridiculous amount of pounding and drilling going on at the hotel. There were notes in my room stating that there is construction and it gave times that they would be working on it. They also said that ear plugs would be provided. I did not see any earplugs and they started the construction at 7:30 am on Sat morning when they had originally said it wouldn't start until 10. I got NO sleep because of this after adjusting to my time zone change.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Nashville, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Perfect place if you like to spend time on Broadway. Included breakfast is good. Within walking distance of Riverfront, Bridgestone, and all places from 7th down to 2nd. Construction very noisy during our visit and check-out was unpleasant until a manager stepped in.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Good day!

Thanks for your positive feedback! We are upgrading our facilities to give our guests an even better stay. We would love for to come back after the renovation for free drinks on us. We are happy that you stayed with us and when you decide to return I would be more than happy to help you with your travel arrangements.

Benton, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Other than the construction improvements going on here, this place was great!! All the staff were very friendly and helpful! It's in a great location. The walk is uphill coming back to the hotel but it's not too difficult. All kinds of things to see and do are within walking distance and plenty of places to eat as well. I would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to others as well.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Tim Gilbert
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Came here over the Rock n Roll weekend. The building is under construction - they tell you that. They are making the outside walkways an interior hallway. That said - we thought this place was pretty nice. They recently renovated the rooms - much nicer than I expected - nice surprise. All the staff we worked with were super helpful and always friendly. (For example - we elected to not have housekeeping one morning and they left us a little bag with additional clean towels, washcloths, toiletries - nice not to have to call down!)

Beds were comfy and the continental breakfast was better than I've had at some holiday inns or comfort inns.

Also a plus - the downtown area is pretty small - easy to walk to all the major downtown sites!

*Great place if you just need your basics.*

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

The hotel was undergoing construction during out stay. The construction noise was loud, the environment was dusty and filled with construction debris along the 3rd floor walk way and around the parking lot. In addition to this, there were exposed electrical wires on the 3rd floor walk way. Our room had exposed carpet tac-strips between our adjoining rooms that was unsafe for our children! We had to take bath towels and cover them up to keep our children's feet safe. We approached the front desk later in the day on Friday after we had been at the hotel for about 24 hours. By this time, the construction noise, limited use of the parking lot exits, and the safety issues at the hotel due to the construction made me feel unsafe to be at the property. We approached the front desk with our concerns and asked for a refund of our Thursday night stay and parking fees along with cancellation of our remaining stay. The hotel staff was unable to complete the request and said that all cancellations and refunds must be done by the property manager. We asked that they please contact the manager so we could speak to him. They told us we would have to wait until Saturday morning. On Saturday morning when we approached the staff asking if the Manger would be available, they said he was not going to be around until Sunday. On Sunday when we inquired, again we were told that the manager was not available and that he was at church and would not be on the property today. We had to wait until Monday!! After leaving repeated requests to speak with the manager, we again, had to initiate the request to meet with the hotel manager Mr. Stacy Lee on Monday morning. In my 20+ years of traveling, never have I met such a rude and entitled individual. Mr. Lee was unsympathetic to our various safety issues with the hotel caused by the construction. He actually told us that we were still alive and the hotel owed us nothing. He said it was our fault for choosing to stay. I told him we did not want to stay as of Friday night but he had never returned any of our requests to speak with him on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday so we could work out an agreement to get a refund and take our business elsewhere for the remainder of our stay. While trying to navigate all the construction and exits being blocked off, it caused us to take a path that broke our stroller. It's been a number of years since I've stayed at a best western property. The experience I had from April 24th-29th has tainted my view of the Best Western brand. I'm not sure how a company would keep such an incompetent manager, especially one who has little regard for guest safety or experience. I also want to let you know that I felt that the construction safety issues were such a real threat to the safety of guests, that I actually notified the Nashville Metro City Code Enforcement agency and requested that a city inspector inspect the property to ensure guest safety is maintained because the hotel management is seriously incapable of doing this. I personally feel this property should have its certificate of occupancy pulled until the construction site is cleaned up and guest safety has been restored.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Good day!

Thanks for your feedback regarding your stay. We apologize sincerely that your stay was less than satisfactory. We strive in providing awesome service to our guests as we work to improve our product in the construction phase. We would love the opportunity to provide you with Free Drinks in our new Bistro/Bar upon it's completion. Please contact me directly when you decide on future travel plans as I will be happy to plan your next stay.

Timothy Gilbert

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!