“Definitely not worth the price” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Ranked #89 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Definitely not worth the price”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The staff is incredibly friendly, as I start out on a positive note. The only other positive I can take away is the free wifi and the distance to attractions. They snuck in the 16 dollar parking fee, as a full valet, basically monopolizing the parking issue around the facility. We were stuck with a room on the street side, which could be dealt with even with traffic noises, however, the constant parade of people literally running up and down the halls yelling was too much for the walls to hold in. Ironically there is a sign on the front desk stating unruly guests will be dealt with, which I did not foresee happening, so we just continued our trip at 300 am. The room was moist, and the a/c was clinging to life. The television claimed cable, but I struggled to find channels to watch the NBA finals highlights. My wife insists that this is the absolute worst hotel she ever stayed at. I give it bottom three. Instead of renovation, they should probably just condemn the building and restart.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Let me first apologize for your perception and experience during your stay. We certainly understand the challenges of our property, our downtown location and the behaviors of some individuals who do not respect the comfort of other guests. Keep in mind that the property is currently in transition of becoming totally transformed into a Best Western Plus. This should resolve the updating issue. As to parking, we do keep our cost under the average $25 per day fee for downtown hotels which most would agree is a value.
The most important comment to me was how well you were treated by the staff. No amenity can ever replace or be more valuable than that and I truly thank you for letting me know.
Please reconsider returning especially when the remodel is done. I certainly look forward to meeting you and if not, I thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

We were four in a room.
When the parking man is nicer then the recepcionist it starts bad.
A small double room, typical best western, clean and in perfect status but small for four adults, you cannot move inside. I know we were 4 but also you pay for it.
Noisy air conditioning, you cannot sleep with it on.
The location is perfect for visiting Nashville.
The breakfast was included but it was awfull, both the place to have it and itself.
The hotel needs a remodalation but can be a good an economic option to visit Nashville

• Stayed May 2013
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for you response and I hope you enjoyed CMA.

Yes, we are still remodeling and would have liked to had all things completed by the time of the event but we have been very blessed to have been extremely busy since January 2013. We will have a little more time after CMA to get more done and will use the somewhat slower time to it's advantage to complete even more.

I do apologize if one of our receptionist was not cordial and delighted that valet's made your point of entry pleasant. I'm please to know that your room was very clean and in perfect status. Knowing these things allow us to make targeted improvement.

Have a safe trip home and we appreciate you staying with us!
Chicago Heights, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

OK - this is not the Ritz, but it's clean, great location and really helpful staff. Stayed June 1st and June 2nd. We arrived early and they checked us in right away. Our room was on the courtyard side away from the street. Other reviewers say it's loud with people walking back and forth - I did not think it was loud one bit, but I think the courtyard side is nicer than street side.

When we were leaving yesterday they were replacing more carpet in each room. Our room was a newer room with new paint and carpet. Very clean. The cleaning people really work hard to make the rooms nice.

Really close to all the Honkey Tonks, great breakfast in the morning, and liquor store, pizza place for late night on premises.

It's not a luxury hotel by any means, but i would recommend this for sure.

Enjoy your stay.. Hello to the valet Cliff - he's hilarious. Made sure our cab was ready and waiting for us to get back to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard/non street side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
I definitely appreciate your assessment and specific comments regarding the property. We are moving at a faster pace to get renovations completed and I'm thrill you enjoyed some of the improvements we have made. I will let Cliff know you said hello. I'm sure he will appreciate that. Thanks so much for staying and I hope you will return to visit us again!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western May 17th to 20th. I honestly have nothing really bad to say about the hotel.
Sure it's a bit dated and yes you hear street noise, but don't you hear noise in any other hotel in a city location?

1 funny thing to note, the guys working valet. They were great and very friendly. The ended up losing our keys the 1st night we were there. We didn't panic and they ensured it would get sorted out and they would find them. As soon as we came back we were greeted by one of them holding our keys and a smile. I'm sure they were freaking on the inside, but I was glad to see they got things sorted out.

Rooms are in the works of being updated and I think we got an updated room. It was big enough, clean and did the trick. I wasn't in Nashville to spend 20hours per day in my room.

Clean rooms, cheap rates, free hot breakfast and friendly staff. Not sure what else you could ask for in a hotel?

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor and take the stairs. Avoid the wait for the elevator
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thanks for responding and I will certainly take "a not bad" any day. I do understand as some of our comments are mixed but mostly positive however we do strive to make sure everyone's stay is a good one.

You are actual right about the valets. They know how important it is to me to ensure guests are happy and they do a great job.

Most recent updates: New carpets, flat screen TV's and upgraded breakfast to include fried eggs and sausage links.

Your comments are most appreciate and I do hope you will visit with us again!
Champaign, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went to Nashville for girls weekend. Best Western Convention Center was perfect location. Staff was super friendly and helpful right from the start. Room was clean beds comfy. We stayed four in the room only issue was no separate door between stool/shower area and sink/vanity area so only one could get ready at a time. We made do using desk in the room which did have a mirror over it. Walked to broadway bars at night then took cab back. Easy walk. Convenient store attached to hotel open till 3am great for late night snack on way back to room, pizza was very good ;) Valet parking was reasonable and car was right there if you needed to retrieve anything. Continental breakfast was decent, about what you would expect. On previous trip we stayed at best western music row but any further trips I would definitely choose this location. There was a little bit of noise early in the mornings, because of the outside walkways being concrete the cleaning carts pushing by were loud, if you wanted to sleep in it would be a little annoying. I will stay here again and would recommend to anyone who wanted to save money and still be able to walk to downtown locations. Only other thing I noticed was no small fridge in the room there was an ice machine on our floor.

Room Tip: We stayed on second floor. Had a decent view and you could take stairs instead of waiting on the ele...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for letting me know about your positive stay. It is important for me to know what is working and what is not. Our location is a good one to any venue along with the amenities such as the Deli & Market, Cafe Fuzion Restaurant, free breakfast and wifi are just some of the things we offer. We never intend to overstate who we are but we do provide a very good value. Keep in mind that downtown noises are concurrent with similar like environments but we are having plans drawn to design our exterior to offset most noises. We will also be including mini fridges/microwaves in all rooms along with new flat screen televisions.
Again, thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay and please do come again!
Turners Falls, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Conveniently located near the capitol area. Short walk to farmers market, museums, honkytonks etc. The beds are new the remainder of the room was icky and old. The bathroom was dark. The front desk staff were awesome though. Much improvement needed. Seems to be in progress, or progress has stopped. Had to hop over a treadmill to get to the lobby bathroom, which was pretty dirty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Your comments are much appreciated as to the quality of service of received from the staff. As we are still in our renovation process, we do expect there will be some issues that will eventually be addressed. I do apologize experience and for the street and fan noise. I hope when we are completed you will give us another chance to earn your business.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The staff are friendly, and the location convenient, but this is a tired old hotel with outside corridors. The current refurbishment attempts to address some of the shortcomings, but my remodeled room had street noise competing with a noisy bathroom fan, and the only coat-hangers were behind the bathroom room door. The single elevator was slow and noisy, and the breakfast no better than motel standard. It's cheaper than other downtown hotels for a reason - did I mention the outside corridors?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Appreciate the comment and I apologize for you not being satisfied with your stay. We are still currently addressing all of the issues you claimed and will continue to make improvements.
Your comments are being listened to and in time I hope you will give us another try. Thanks so much for staying with us!

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!