“Nashville Trip 2013” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #94 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Champaign, Illinois
“Nashville Trip 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Went to Nashville for girls weekend. Best Western Convention Center was perfect location. Staff was super friendly and helpful right from the start. Room was clean beds comfy. We stayed four in the room only issue was no separate door between stool/shower area and sink/vanity area so only one could get ready at a time. We made do using desk in the room which did have a mirror over it. Walked to broadway bars at night then took cab back. Easy walk. Convenient store attached to hotel open till 3am great for late night snack on way back to room, pizza was very good ;) Valet parking was reasonable and car was right there if you needed to retrieve anything. Continental breakfast was decent, about what you would expect. On previous trip we stayed at best western music row but any further trips I would definitely choose this location. There was a little bit of noise early in the mornings, because of the outside walkways being concrete the cleaning carts pushing by were loud, if you wanted to sleep in it would be a little annoying. I will stay here again and would recommend to anyone who wanted to save money and still be able to walk to downtown locations. Only other thing I noticed was no small fridge in the room there was an ice machine on our floor.

Room Tip: We stayed on second floor. Had a decent view and you could take stairs instead of waiting on the ele...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for letting me know about your positive stay. It is important for me to know what is working and what is not. Our location is a good one to any venue along with the amenities such as the Deli & Market, Cafe Fuzion Restaurant, free breakfast and wifi are just some of the things we offer. We never intend to overstate who we are but we do provide a very good value. Keep in mind that downtown noises are concurrent with similar like environments but we are having plans drawn to design our exterior to offset most noises. We will also be including mini fridges/microwaves in all rooms along with new flat screen televisions.
Again, thank you for taking the time to tell me about your stay and please do come again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Turners Falls, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Conveniently located near the capitol area. Short walk to farmers market, museums, honkytonks etc. The beds are new the remainder of the room was icky and old. The bathroom was dark. The front desk staff were awesome though. Much improvement needed. Seems to be in progress, or progress has stopped. Had to hop over a treadmill to get to the lobby bathroom, which was pretty dirty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Your comments are much appreciated as to the quality of service of received from the staff. As we are still in our renovation process, we do expect there will be some issues that will eventually be addressed. I do apologize experience and for the street and fan noise. I hope when we are completed you will give us another chance to earn your business.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The staff are friendly, and the location convenient, but this is a tired old hotel with outside corridors. The current refurbishment attempts to address some of the shortcomings, but my remodeled room had street noise competing with a noisy bathroom fan, and the only coat-hangers were behind the bathroom room door. The single elevator was slow and noisy, and the breakfast no better than motel standard. It's cheaper than other downtown hotels for a reason - did I mention the outside corridors?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Appreciate the comment and I apologize for you not being satisfied with your stay. We are still currently addressing all of the issues you claimed and will continue to make improvements.
Your comments are being listened to and in time I hope you will give us another try. Thanks so much for staying with us!
Clarksville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Going to a concert in Nashville, TN? Best Western Downtown Convention Center is your best pick. We had a nice clean room, comfortable queen size beds, and a decent continental breakfast. The only parking is valet, but you know your car is safe. The hotel is within walking distance to The Bridgestone and Nashville's downtown.
We thought we had reservations, but I guess I clicked on the wrong day on the calendar. Gwen at the front desk made everything right.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much for your wonderful comments and I really appreciate knowing that "Momma" Gwen took great care of you. Know what is working and not working is important to us and I thank you again for taking the time to do so. Please come and visit with us again!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We came to nashville for a concert and wanted a hotel within walking distance of Bridgestone. When we walked into the lobby we waited for several minutes for the lady at the front desk to acknowledge us. When we finally got registered, we were directed to the darkest, noisiest elevator I've ever been in. When we got to our room, I was hesitant to even go in. It was skeeviest room I'd ever seen. I was immediately worried about bed bugs but I didn't see any evidence. The bed was stiff and had 5 lumpy half sized pillows. The chain on the door was installed backwards, so it was basically ineffective. I slept with our suitcase pushed against the door. Not that I slept. The curtains gapped and light poured in all night. All in all, I wish we would have spent a little more for a nicer hotel. I'm glad they are remodeling. They have a lot of work to do. The only positive is the sausages at breakfast. They were good.

• Stayed May 2013
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Thanks for your response and concerns. As females, I know it's difficult when traveling and I know that any negative perceptions especially downtown can sometime be a little scary for some. I do apologize if we did not acknowledge you properly and quickly and I will be following up with the staff to ensure we are being more consistently aware and courteous at all times.

Again, thank you for staying and letting me know of your experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

As 2 Australians travelling around the US, we have decided to review all properties we stay at on Tripadvisor. Yes - this property is an older one, but the room we stayed in was remodelled, so no complaints. Clean room, great bed, great location. 3 blocks from the heart of downtown Nashville and at a very modest price. Would stay again and happily recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for the positive comment as it s an indicator we are moving in the right direction. In the hotel business it is understandable that we may not please all people but it very encouraging to us to know that you were satisfied.
When in Nashville, please stay again and we appreciate you taking the time to comment.
Our best regards!
atlanta, ga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Downtown Nashville is expensive. For the money, this is about as good as it gets. The rooms are a fraction of what you pay next door at the Sheraton. If you don't plan to hang out in the room, this hotel will do fine.

PROS:
Good location.
The employees we encountered were more than just friendly. They had lots of personality and seemed to like what they do.
The bed was great! Good linens, clean, comfy, well made.
There is a tiny convenience store attached to the lobby - good for water, etc.
Room had a safe.

CONS:
Building is run down; bathrooms have been updated but the building itself is old and a little shabby.
Elevator is tiny and SLOW! One one elevator and too many guests trying to use it.
Small rooms and no refrigerator.
No real place to sit except small desk.
Lots of noise from other guests.

All in all ... would I stay again? Sure, if I planned to be busy and only needed to sleep, bathe, change, but not to relax and hang out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We appreciate you commenting on your recent stay. The Pro items and Cons are accurate. The Cons are currently being addressed with the remodel and pricing was high due to the Music City Marathon. I thank you for taking the time to let me know of your experience and we will maximize every effort to make future stays better. Hopefully in the future you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations. Thanks again for staying and our best regards.

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!