“Great place to stay to trek downtown on foot and bus” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #94 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Shediac Bridge, NB
“Great place to stay to trek downtown on foot and bus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in Nov 2012. The purpose of the 5 day trip was sight seeing on foot around the city. This motel was the perfect combination of affordability and location for what we wanted. Continental breakfast and wifi included. We thought the pillow top beds were amazingly comfy.
I would highly recommend this hotel for this type of stay.
The green line, free city bus is just a short 0.5 km walk or you can walk directly downtown in about 25 minutes.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
It warms my heart to know that we provided a satisfactory experience for you and we thank you for the encouraging comment. We are in the people pleasing business which at times is a difficult thing to do but we continue to try and when we get comments such as yours, we are encouraged even more to be better.

As your time is important we thank you again for responding and hope that you will come stay with us again!

Have a wonderful and joyous holiday as I will be sharing your comments (along with others) with the staff!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Pay attention to the reviews - they are quite accurate by date. I was in Nashville on business and needed to be downtown. Most of the downtown hotels are at least double the price of the BW, but there is a reason for it. As another reviewer pointed out, this is a place where all the rooms have an outside entrance. You enter the hotel through the lobby and use an elevator inside the lobby to access the guest floors, but you exit the interior core of the hotel back to the outdoors to find your room.

I found the rooms to be recently renovated, very clean and comfortable. When I first arrived in my room the heat/AC unit was turned off and the room was almost cold enough to see my breath. It soon warmed up and the next thing I noticed was the old-style TV with a large stain of something that had dripped down the front of it - very unattractive and rather disgusting-looking actually. The bathroom was spotless and the towels were new, fluffy and comfy.

Overall, I thought it was a good value for the price. The hotel is 4 blocks from the convention center (uphill from there). The morning continental breakfast was better than average and is served until 10 AM (most places shut down the breakfast service at 9 or 9:30) even on weekdays.

Note that they require you to valet park here, and they charge $16.39 (strangely odd price) per day to park. Parking around the convention center will cost you $10-12 per day minimum, so if you are weighing the option of driving from one of the suburbs to find a less expensive hotel, the cost of parking and the hassle of fighting daily traffic to get into the city will offset your savings. In truth, the Best Western downtown is the same price or less than a mid-price hotel in the outlying suburbs of Nashville, so if you are on a budget and looking for a place to stay where you can walk to all the downtown attractions, this is a good way to save some $$ and still get a decent room, if you don't mind the old-fashioned TV's and the outside entrances to the rooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments and assessment of your stay and experience with us. It was fair, accurate and honest. I would be interested in speaking with you personally as to me it appears you are a seasoned traveler and could provide us with good insight in making improvements.

If you are traveling to Nashville next year please come by to see and experience our new renovations. Upon completion (and possibly some early completed phases) I will begin uploading some before and after photos.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond and have a wonderful Christmas!
Huntsville, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This is a motel not a hotel. Your door faces outside not to an interior hallway making for no noise reduction between you and the busy Nashville downtown road. Street sweepers and drunks at 2 a.m. are very loud. The free breakfast was basically toast and cereal. The elevator is so small that you can only get you one person on it with a luggage cart. This hotel is suffering from age and Nashville growing up around it.

Room Tip: I would suggest requesting a room not on the road side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I'm sorry that you were unhappy with your stay and wish you would have mentioned so while you were here. As we do not claim to be a 5 star property most of our guests choose us based on location and price point. As your description of services and experience were simplistic, it makes one to wonder if there was some other underlining motive in your dissatisfaction. Either way, we value your comments and will use them as motivation as we continue to work towards improving our property and services.

Thank you for commenting and we wish you and yours the best of holidays!
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

When I booked this hotel, it was honestly because the other choices were much more expensive to stay in downtown Nashville. After reading negative comments, I was preparing myself for the worst when we arrived, however I found the hotel to be clean and newly renovated with great service. The receptionists were helpful and friendly. For the price we payed, we had a fairly modern, clean room to stay in for the night- not to mention an easy walk to downtown Nashville. A great value for the location and comfort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thanks you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay! We have been working very hard to change negative perceptions as some have been good and some that were just hateful. But that's the past and we are continuing to move forward.

Our main goal is to put the "human" back into the guest experience. Our staff is a group of real people who sincerely care about people and the opportunity we have been blessed with in serving others. Our building has been a ongoing difficult task but is a meaningful one as to the expected end result and new stay experience we can provide.

Please continue to see us as a "hotel of friends" when you come back to Nashville. We look forward to you returning and I only ask that you ask for me, so I can personally meet and thank you.

Best of the holiday's to come. We appreciate your business and thanks again for choosing to stay with us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Got to the hotel with a notion that it may not be great after reading some of these reviews. Needless to say most of the reviews were dead wrong. The staff has been the best and made us feel right at home. They are in the middle of renovations but couldn't really tell it was going on. The room we stayed in has been updated and looked very nice. The walls are kind of thin an you can hear the outside, but it wasn't horrible. I would possibly suggest pumping in white noise in the rooms if possible. The maid service was super nice. She was always very curtouis and made sure we had everything we needed. The elevator was a little slow but that's to be expected with only a 5 story elevator. The vallets were hands down the best. Overall this place was great for the price and close to the strip. We will stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
I agree with you regarding the staff and I am so thankful to have them. There's not a day that goes by that either one or two of them amazes me with their service efforts. They are genuine in their love for people (a rare commodity loss in our automated world) but they do treat you like family.

As to our building, the renovation is definitely one of the most difficult projects we've taken on. We actually have two more renovations that are ongoing. We do know that we have several challenges and some you have mentioned. We are looking at all options within our control and ability to solve or limit. I know we will never be perfect and that we can not please everyone. I can say we will continue to do what's right, fair, just and compassionate for all of our guests and we thank you for your acknowledgment of that.

I do appreciate guests like you for seeing things as they are and for your feedback. We are listening and will take all suggestions to heart as we drive forward to improvement.

Thanks again and please do come back and stay with us.
Vear
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We booket BW in Nashville because this time we would like to stay downtown . The hotel was ok, but the price was a long way up in the air. But we had got a nice price, not originally price who was nearly 300 $ a night for this specially week. We booket with hotelplanner.com. When guests stay at BW downtown in Nashville and pay so much for the room, you do not expect that the cleaning personell knocks on your door and ask if it is ok that you just have a towel today. And at the breakfast table ,they run out of egg and youghurt. But it was nice people working there, specially dow in the reseption.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks you for the comment and you taking the time to do so and if the cleaning attendant did that I would understand your feelings. I do appreciate that you see the value of the staff and how hard they do work. The building is a work in progress but will be completed much faster when demand slows down.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful comments and I hope you'll come back to see us when renovations are completed.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Overall I was extremely dissatisfied with the hotel for the price we paid(even with the discounted wedding charge). The room we stayed in had visible water damage on the walls, the fan in the bathroom didn't work, the carpet always felt damp(most likely from the water damage and amount of moisture in the room) and because our room was facing the street it was very noisy especially when anyone walked past on the walkway around the hotel. The amount of dust on the television, coffee maker, blow drier and area to hang clothes made it very apparent that it wasn't a well-kept or well cleaned room. We did see another friend's room and their room was as dusty as ours was, but at least there was no water damage. The breakfast was bad to say the very least and all the guests of the wedding party we stayed with said it was the worst coffee they had ever tasted. The single elevator took 10 minutes minimum to show up and was usually full so we carried the luggage up and down the stairs when coming and going. The stairwell was filthy (the same piece of food was left on the stairs for our entire stay). Beds were not made by room service (they had been cleared of all our belongings in hopes this would be done), dirty towels were not picked up, and clean towels were just placed on the unmade bed. I will say that I was VERY impressed with the valet service. They were professional, courteous and took GREAT care of our very large truck (which can be a pain to park anywhere). Needless to say the valet service did not make up for the rest of it and this is NOT somewhere I would recommend anyone I know to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your response as I know there are always opportunities for improvement. We are moving in the right direction but this let's me know there were some process breakdowns during your stay.

I will be looking into your claim and will use this comment as a training opportunity.

As we are in a total renovations I am confident that issues like this will not be the norm.

Again, I apologize for any inconveniences encountered and hope in the future you will consider giving us another chance.

Best regards.

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!