“Satisfactory stay...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel - Downtown, Nashville

Save Saved
You added The Capitol Hotel - Downtown, Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel - Downtown, Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Ranked #81 of 150 hotels in Nashville
Chicago, Illinois
“Satisfactory stay...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'm on a tour with my company and we are going around the US and we are to meet up with certain business partners to talk about a new project. Well, our first stop was Tennessee and we were going to have our meeting here. While I was already here, I decided to take a room and save myself the trouble of going somewhere else. When I got to my room, I felt very comfortable, like I was at home. The place was clean, it smelled fresh, and the T.V. had a lot of entertaining channels. I also had a great night's sleep and was all prepared for the meeting the next day. I was very satisfied with this place and if I am ever here on business trip again, I will be sure to book at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

483 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed there this past weekend for a Bachelorette Party. While the overall experience wasn't terrible, there were some things that were not ok. First of all check in was horrible. The girl at the front desk was rude, not straight forward and couldn't explain herself. We were a little confused over the price she quoted us it would be. We got settled and went back down to talk with her and the manager just to make sure we knew what the deal was. The MANAGER spoke to us like we were 2 years old. Not helpful, rude and basically wanted us to leave. Note to manager: if we hadn't been from out of town and unfamilar with the area we would have been out of there so fast after that treatment. It was uneccessary. Train your staff, or at least make sure you hire people who know how to work a front desk and have some customer service. In the morning when we left to go out, there was no valet attendant and the guy sitting out front just said he was off the clock so we just stood there. Every time we came back or left that place, there he was sitting outside doing nothing. Props to Tommy, the valet attendant. He was very nice and courteous and wasn't rude when he spoke to us. We treated the room with respect, were quiet and caused nothing so I don't understand. This hotel is updated which is nice but if you cannot be treated with respect, who cares. Location was good, close to downtown and all the action. As you can see, the manager or whoever will respond to your feedback. When I originally looked at the reviews I thought that was a good thing and that other people may have been over doing it...well I know that isn't the case. He was terrible. So thanks for the hospitality but I suggest instead of trying to defend yourseld with the reviews, you start fixing the issues.

Room Tip: FYI all rooms are facing outside. Only 1 elevator
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel in September 2011 and promised never come back anymore.
the carpet was so filthy that my feet was submitted to a charcoal therapy.
Found lot of bugs on my bed . Swear they are bed bugs but the front desk employee tried to calm me down saying they were harmless bug from the backyard.
Imediately I went to the front desk and ask a cancellation of my stay . After sometime and some promises to write a formal complain to Tennessee department of health they put me in line to the general manager who gently offered me the money back in the next morning , what happened without any problems. Nashville is a marvellous city but this hotel despite its excellent location was a real nightmare. Hope they had improved !

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Fort Saskatchewan, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is an old run-down motel with some new decor and paint. Some of the staff even seemed a little worn and tired. Our valet, upon check-in, proceeded to spell out for us what to tip when he parks our vehicle and carries our bags and fetches our vehicle once we check-out. He complained heavily about the other patrons of the weekend and how poorly they tipped, how he got the bad shift because he got the bad tippers and how it was too hot to leave the air conditioned lobby. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his complaining probably had more to do with his poor tips than the shift he got.
Our stay in Nashville was unexpected, so we didn't have time to research where to stay. We thought being near the downtown tourist area was a good bet and gambled on this place because it was one of the cheaper hotels in the area, while still being within walking distance of Broadway and Riverfront Park area. The price they charge for the room is steep for what you get, it had what you need, and not much more. It annoyed me to no end that they advertised free wifi but not once could I get it. The breakfast is nothing special, but no worse than a lot of other continental breakfast's you get in hotels. Our room faced the capitol building and was busy in the morning with busses and traffic, I would request the other side if you plan to stay here.
Overall, I didn't love it and I won't go back, but it was a convenient walk to where we wanted to go.

Room Tip: ask for a room NOT facing Union St. as it's loud with the morning traffic/busses. Breakfast roo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel - Downtown, Nashville, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Hello:

As I read your review I do understand that you perceived a negative experience based on your comment of the one staff members. I do apologize and I appreciate knowing this. As to the renovations, unfortunately the "lipstick" we are putting on is a "total renovation" which takes time to be completed. As this is not personal we do appreciate you giving us a try and we do understand that we will get these kind of comments from time to time. Since we know what the end results will be in our challenging endeavor to improve the property, we are determine to continue moving forward.

Thank you for your comment and most importantly your business.
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We were staying at the lovely Best Western Music Row in Nashville for one night when we decided to stay an extra night in Nashville.

We asked at reception how much an extra night would be and for some reason it was more than double so we decided to move to the Downtown Convention Best Western instead as I found it slightly cheaper than the price we were quoted for the Music Row one.

However, I wish we had not moved at all. For starters, we were told on arrival that they charged $10 for overnight parking. Not good.

Then we were given our room - it was an old disgusting room with the smell of stale smoke in it. Plus it was right next to the breakfast room which meant it was very noisy in the morning. The standard of the room was what really got to me though. I may well have been staying in Bate's motel. The décor was from the 60s and it was not clean. The bed was probably from the 60s too. Horrible.

I would recommend that if you are staying in Nashville and you want to be close to the Downtown area then pay a little bit more for somewhere else as this hotel is not worth the money at all.

The breakfast was also horrible. I could not eat any of it, and left as quickly as possible so that I could find a diner somewhere else to eat. Unfortunately, having the name Best Western attached to a hotel does not guarantee a good standard! The hotel the night before on Music Row was miles better and even if it is further away from Downtown, I would still recommend that you stay there. In fact, choose something other than Best Western and pay that little extra (as I wish we had done) to have a wonderful experience in the brilliant city of Nashville.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Aalst, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

There are two positive points, the first is the location which is some 15 minutes walking from downtown and the second positive point is the breakfast.

The parking is valet parking and costs $10. The infrastructure is old. The rooms are not completely clean. The rooms are small.

The price is much too high and is at the level we payed in New York!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel - Downtown, Nashville, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Thank you for your response. I do understand in this economy that most people would expect prices to be lower but also keep in mind that pricing is based on location and events that are in town. Simply meaning that downtown pricing will always be higher and will vary from time to time. When there are special events in downtown all downtown hotels contribute to the cost of the event. As there are more options for entertainment, dining, parking, etc. this will affect rates.

Where we can help is by continuing to renovate our property to provide a better perceived value to price. As this is something we started this year, renovations take time to complete. I do believe if it was completed doing your time of stay, you would have had a much better experience and perception about your purchase.

However I do apologize for your experience and hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Our best regards.
Meridian, Mississippi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Four out of five front desk workers were rude or bored. The advertised "clean remote" did not work. We asked for another remote and it did not work either. The elevator sounded like it was in its last ride. My husband apologized for the run down condition. The bathroom was so dark it made me wonder what they were hiding.

• Stayed July 2012
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel - Downtown, Nashville, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear: needavaca1

Thank you for the odd review. I'm not sure where to start with this one but regarding the elevator which is mechanical and from time to time will need servicing, is actually running fine. As to boredom with the staff, if that was your perception, I apologize that you felt that way. Had there been something specific that they reacted to in a way to validate your statement, that was not mentioned in your complaint. Apparently the remotes would be a issue and that I would have liked to have known about (while you were here). It's possible there may have been some other variables that were not considered.
Lastly your statement about the bathroom being dark and that we were possibly trying to hide something, as you did not find anything, certainly is questionable as to the motivation of the comment. However your satisfaction is important to us. Letting us know that there are or may be potential problems is the 1st step to solutions.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your perception of us and we wish you the best.

Been to The Capitol Hotel - Downtown, Nashville? Share your experiences!