“More like a Motel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville

You added The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville to your Saves list
The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   711 Union Street, Nashville, TN 37219 (Formerly Best Western Downtown Convention Center) (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #95 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Brisbane, Australia
“More like a Motel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Lets be honest. If you stay here, you're mostly going to be paying for the convenience of staying close to the city centre. The rooms are fairly pricey, considering it's motel quality (about $170 per night for us). The room quality was what you'd expect for a motel (not bad, but not really relaxing). On the plus side, they throw in continental breakfast and computing access is free. I'd advise to look elsewhere in Nashville, unless you're running out of options.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Not really worth the money, Im sure the price was raised up for labor day weekend but the place is outdated and has an odd set up. Its more like a motel the way the each room has is located off an outside balcony kind of thing. The staff was nice although the valet was kind of a punk kid. The elevator barely fits 3 people and is soooo slow. Depending on what you spend it could be worth it, location is ok, pretty close to broadway they do not have a pool or shuttle to broadway as other hotels do. In thier defense there is a renovation in the works and hopefully it will be a lot nicer. If you just need a place to crash with your buddies thats pretty cheap then this is the place for you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear Tweeter82:

Thank you for your comment as I will use your information to continue the necessary improvements we've have planned..

When you have a chance in the future come back and see what we've done with our building and our service effort.

Best regards to you and your family!

S Lee
Montgomery, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

The tub was stopped up.....so we took showers sort of straddling the tub due to not having a clue what was going to come up out of the drain. Had the usual issue of needing to use the restroom during the night....because one switch turned on every light in the room and not wanting to wake up the other person in the room, I proceeded to the bathroom by the light on my cell phone. Having roaches scurry by my feet while using the restroom in the middle of the night is unsettling to say the least and can cause quite a mess on the floor.

The following morning I woke up the person in the other bed with 'Wake up man, there is a bug crawling on you.' Not quite the quality you would expect for $141/night (taxes included) hotel. I recommend anyone needing a place near the convention center to look elsewhere. We were scheduled to stay two nights, we left after the first and drove home. This is the worst hotel experience I and my co-worker have experienced.

Room Tip: Bring your own can of raid, a bottle of liquid draino and a flashlight
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear Hodges:

I'm sorry that you felt compelled to express your experience in such a negative way. I am very proud of the direction the property is going in as I and my staff have worked hard to turn it around. I have checked during your stay to see if there is any record of your issues since we have video and audio recording capabilities at the desk and there is no record of you voicing any complaint. However, we do know that our building is old and often the seed of negativity will cloud or enhance a perception especially when there are special events in the area and prices are high.

In closing, we do apologize for not satisfying you but it would have been helpful while you were here to have voiced your concerns to us so that we could at least had the opportunity to address them.

Best regards!
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Stayed here with girlfriends and it was terrible. I have stayed in Motel 6s that are nicer then this. Hell, I have even stayed in a dingy hotel in border town Mexico where I felt more safe than this. Here are just a few of the issues we encountered:

-They told us we could have early check-in, yet when we arrived the rooms weren't ready yet.

-Horrible customer service. No smiles or hellos from anyone over the course of the three days we were here. When we went to check in, the ladies behind the counter were talking to each other and didn't even acknowledge us as we stood there. It took about 10 minutes for the lady to check us in (no idea why, since we had booked three weeks prior) and this was done without an apology or anything. They made us feel as if we were bothering them, simply by checking in. This same attitude continued throughout the weekend from the staff.

-Rooms very small and dark, and only one outlet in the bathroom. Horrible pillows. Each bed had four square pillows (the size of decorative ones) and NO NORMAL SIZED PILLOWS. Wow. How cheap are they?

- We didn't feel safe, especially going back to our room at night. Typical motel style, all the rooms face outside, with people lurking around at all hours of the night. Elevator is extremely dark and slow moving. We slept with a chair against the door every night.

-Worst valet service I've ever encountered. As we (three women) struggled to get our large luggage into our car, the valet simply glanced at us and walked back inside. What valet service doesn't open the door for you or assist you with luggage? Wow. Just wow.

The price of this place IS NOT worth it.

Dear Kate0110:

It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience. As stated to your 1st friend, to you and the other friend in your party who has also written negative comments, that although inaccurate and grossly exaggerated, we understand that we could not please you. We also understand that this site is a resource that allows you to voice your opinion. Be it true or false, we wish you well.

Best regards!
Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

When we first arrived the Valet guy came out, then proceeded to ignore us, walking back inside while we got our own bags out of the car. When checking in the staff was slow and very unfriendly. Worst customer service we'd ever had. We then discovered the elevator was broken, resulting in carrying our bags up the stairs. The rooms, although fairly clean, are dark and dingy, and are not nice by any means.
If you are a woman you will feel unsafe here - you enter the rooms from the outside, and there were creepy people lurking in and around the hotel. We had a "maintenance" man want to come inspect our bathroom and could not give me a logical reason, and being women staying alone, I refused.
On the day of our check out, our phone rang several times from the front desk telling us to get out of the room by 11. We then called and nicely asked if we could stay a little later (since we thought check-out was at noon), and were told very rudely "thats fine", and then hung up on. 5 minutes later we heard a key in our door and the staff tried to ENTER OUR ROOM without even knocking. At this point we were furious and left as quick as we could.

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Dear txgrl011:

Thank you for responding as your comments are exaggerated. However, we do understand that some people are unreasonable and that we can not please everyone. Your perception and experience obviously is unique to you and only you. I am unsure of why your comment had to be vindictive but I do wish you the best.
Tabor, SD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Very good breakfast included and served til 10am. Cold items plus excellent sausage gravy and biscuits and make your own waffles. Internet included at no extra charge. Easy quick walk to fun downtown area. Long, uphill walk back. Free downtown bus stops 2 blocks away. Doorman/valet helpful with finding activities for teens. Room was remodeled, the bathroom was small, separate sink area but that plus toilet/bath area used same light switch, beds and linens were comfy. Doors open to the outside of the building. Overall room was small with two double beds, desk, desk chair and one other chair. Not much storage-dresser under tv with 4 shallow drawers and open closet rack. TV seemed old and wasn't the best picture. Lobby is scheduled to be remodeled in 2012 or 2013.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GM711, General Manager at The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear: KikiSD

What a wonderful comment and observation of our property. You and other guests have really helped us to improve our services and to set the course for our planned renovations. Your accuracy in describing our facility, guestrooms and amenities are on point and do reflect our market to a "T". The value you described that we provided as well as location is sometimes that we must make attractive to more guests like yourselves. Your comment is an asset to me as I will be going into a meeting tomorrow to set dates, priorities and budget for our renovation. I will be using your comment as well as other comments to identify areas of improvement and to make sure that we address and improve target areas that you and other guests find important.

Words can not express the appreciation I have for you and the fact that you thought enough to take the time to let us know about your experience. I thank you and my staff thanks you.

Please do not be a stranger and keep us in mind on your next visit.

May life give you the best it has to offer.

S. Lee, GM
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend with a friend while visiting Nashville.

First, the valets are quick and friendly when you pull in. I appreciated their service. The front desk workers could have been more friendly, but worked quickly. I'd rather have quick service and get to my room than have a smiling worker take all day to get me my room key, so that was fine.

The room had nice, ambient lighting, which I liked. One of my biggest peeves is hotels that have dingy fluorescent lighting. The room was full of useful pamphelts that included information and numbers for restaurants, bars, and local services. Shower/Bathroom was nothing mind blowing, but nothing to complain about either for the price. Hotels in Nashville can be VERY pricey on the weekend, and this Best Western, for what it offers for the price is definitely worth it. The beds and furniture were fine, comfortable enough for a weekend stay, but do not expect luxury.

A great perk is the attached store at the bottom. THe guy working it isn't super friendly, but it is a nice place to pick up some beer and sandwiches/snacks before heading downtown.

The location of this place is key. We walked to the bar/entertainment area of downtown in less than ten minutes. We walked back really late and didn't feel threatened at all by the area, so that was nice.

Overall, highly recommended for those looking for a reasonable priced weekend getaway. If you want something more luxurious, open your wallet look around. If you're looking for good location, decent beds, working AC, this place is worth the stay.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Wraiff:

Thanks you so much for your comment and I have shared it with my staff. Your comment has validated their continued hard work and has also energized them to elevate their service level to higher standard. As we are still a work in progress, we are extremely excited for our renovation to start this month. I am so confident that when other guests see the final result, many will also shared your same opinion.

Over the past three years we has struggled as most businesses have during these difficult times. Often feeling that we just can not do enough to satisfy all our guests but it is comments like yours that give us the spirit and strength to do even better.

In closing, please come back and visit with us on your next stay to Nashville. When you do, make sure that you ask for me so that I can personally meet you.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us and others know about your stay.

Best regards,
S. Lee, GM

Been to The Capitol Hotel Downtown Nashville? Share your experiences!