“Excellent Indian food!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bombay Palace

Bombay Palace
2912 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN 37203 (Haynes Area)
(615) 321-6140
Neighborhood: Haynes Area
Nashville, Tennessee
“Excellent Indian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Over the past 5 years, I've tried just about every Indian restaurant in the Nashville area, and most are very good, although the quality of lunch buffets can vary considerably.
This was a new one for me, and it was excellent! Three of us went for dinner on a quiet week night. Service was very good, and all three dishes were superb! The food was high quality and well prepared. I did not go for lunch, so I can't say anything about their lunch buffet. But for dinners, I highly recommend this place.

• Visited December 2012

Columbia, South Carolina
“Good lunch buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stopped here for a late lunch before a flight out of BNA, and enjoyed everything I tried at the buffet. The vegetable pakora was very good; the dal and curry dishes were good but not heated as they should have been. I did come at around 2:00 near the end of their buffet lunch period, but all tables were still full, so one would hope they were still producing fresh food. Their mint chutney is excellent. I will give it another chance closer to noon sometime, and hopefully everything will be at the right temperature!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“very nice Indian restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I didn't expect much from an Indian restaurant in Nashville and I was actually very pleasantly surprised. The food is very good and the staff is even better. All in all, a good choice, reasonably priced.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbus, Indiana
“Excellent Authentic Indian Cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was visiting Nashville on Business and my wife was traveling with me. We both absolutely love Indian food and will eat it as often as our waists allow. A co-worker at the office I was visiting suggested I try Bombay Palace. Since he was from India, I took his recommendation to heart as he knows the food and style better than I!

We found a place to park out front. Parking is very limited, so you may have to walk down the street a bit. I guarantee you, it is absolutely worth the walk. The building is in a strip mall between a cornershop, an out-of-business bicycle shop, and maybe a liquor store. Do not let the outdoors fool you, this is a beautiful restaurant with great food!

We walked in and were seated by the host who also brought us water. The tables are covered with thick white cloths and the silverware was wrapped in neat white linens. We waited a few minutes and placed our order. As we waited, we enjoyed the ambiance of the restuarant. Traditional paintings, and other artworks are hung on the walls. There is a buffet table which appears to only be used during lunch.

After our waters were delivered, the waiter brought us a thin wafer cooked in light oil. I am unsure of what they are called but they very addicting. They are served with four styles of sauces. One is sweet and tangy, another is the onion spicy variety, they have a surprisingly spicy mint chutney and the last one was maybe tumeric based. It was orange/red in color and was the least flavorful of the two. I really thought their mind chutney was very good. It was fresh tasting and a bit hotter than what I am used to eating. Very good way to start!

Our vegetable samosas arrived. They were very delicious! I had them with a very large King Fisher's beer. The samosas were fresh and not over cooked. The potatoes inside were very good. They had a light dash of some kind of spice on top of them.

Our main course arrived after only a few moments of waiting and our servers were attentive enough. I ordered the Bombay Special Biryani. My wife ordered Chicken Korma Northern Style.

I had not had Biryani before so I wasn't sure what to expect. The menu had an ample description, but that doesn't hold a candle to actually tasting the food! The food was served in very cheeky serving dishes. They were round bowls silver in color set on top of cradles. In the middle of the cradle, was room for a tealight candle to keep the dish hot while you ate. The portions are absolutely huge. As delicious as my food was, I could not eat it all in one setting. The Biryani was a mix of chicken, lamb and shrimp flavored with saffron and mixed together with rice. We also received naan bread with our orders. It was fresh as was everything else. The chicken korma was good, but I was too focused on my own dish because of how good it tasted to try too much of the korma. The head waiter or possibly the owner stopped by to ask us how we were enjoying ourselves and I told him it was the best Indian food we had ever eaten in a restaurant. He was very appreciative to our comments and pleased to her the wait staff had been doing an excellent job. He returned to our table after with free dessert, on the house! The Kheer, a basmati rice pudding, was very flavorful and rich. If I go back to Nashville, I will MAKE time to go back to Bombay Palace! I'd love to see how they fare for lunch and to try the buffet and sample each cuisine offered.

• Visited October 2012
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“The food here is exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

There is only one place in Nashville I prefer for Indian food over this one. They make THE best Kashmiri naan, bar none. They also serve meat here but I've never tried it because I prefer vegetarian Indian food. They have a really good Baingan Bhartha and their Chili Paneer is exceptional. They keep a clean restaurant and while parking might be iffy at times, we've never been disappointed here.

• Visited February 2012