“Excellent southern foodie experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Charleston, South Carolina
“Excellent southern foodie experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

As a citizen of Charleston, SC I have a spoiled palate and often dislike food when I travel. Monell's was an experience I had not tried before- family style dining. The food was amazing from the waldorf salad to green beans to cornbread and fried chicken and corn pudding, oh my. I hope they bring one to Charleston, SC! It would be a great addition. If anyone from Monell's reads this- you need to open a restaurant in West Ashley area of Chareston- on highway 17. Just a suggestion.

• Visited July 2014

New York City, New York
“Good food, good table mates, good time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Had lunch here on Sunday on our way to the airport to fly home. It was just 2 of us, so we did not have to wait as long as the larger parties (45 minutes - an hour). We sat at a large table with a few lovely families. You start with a couple of salads and amazing biscuits and mini corn muffins. Then comes the fried chicken (excellent), pork, beef and the sides (mac & cheese, greens, and a few more that I can't recall). It was all delicious and it was fun to meet new people and pass all the dishes around. It was a unique experience. I did feel a little rushed (especially when our server plopped the dessert on our table as we ate our entrees), but still had a great time.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“Family style Southern hospitality in super setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We had been to the Monell's in Germantown but never to the Manor. Some friends thought it'd be a fun place to have Easter brunch. Yes it was! I was impressed with how ready for the crowds they were. They had tents and chairs set up on the front lawn for people to wait comfortably. They also had refreshments, like ice tea and lemon aid in addition to water. Oh, and entertainment in the form of a musician. Monell's seems to have it down to a science. It's fun to go with people you know but also be sat at a table with people you don't. The food soon puts everyone at ease and talking...mostly to ask someone to pass around seconds (or thirds) of something. This location has the benefit of being set in a great old Southern mansion. Be sure to go upstairs and check out some of their antiques. (Plus it's a good excuse to walk up that fabulous curved staircase!)

• Visited April 2014
Cleveland, Tennessee
“Breakfast in the South”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was the first trip to Monell's for my wife & I. We met some family members there. Monell's is family style service meaning that you will sit down at a long table w/ your family & other families and everybody at your table will get what's served. So let me tell you everything you can get a portion of at Monell's: Biscuits, cinnamon rolls, gravy, eggs, hash browns, cheesy grits, corn pudding, bacon, sausage, ham, pancakes, and fried chicken. Yes, fried chicken! I mean, come on, it is the south. Plus there are some homemade peach preserves right on the table. This is breakfast like your at mammaw's house, you eat like she thinks you don't eat enough. Listen close to the manners expected by each visitor while at the table & remember to always pass to the left.

• Visited July 2014
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Great southern dinning experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Monell's was recommended to me by a friend. Our party of four really enjoyed our dinner. It was every reasonably priced and the food was very good.

Visited July 2014