“Fantastic hotel; best Marriott I've encountered” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #45 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Nashville, TN
“Fantastic hotel; best Marriott I've encountered”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a week with family and friends, as we all prepared for my wedding day. (My wedding reception was at the Parthenon immediately across the street, so the location couldn't be beat.) For starters, the hotel is gorgeous. It seems new, with dynamic and modern decor. The rooms are immaculate, and I visited a lot of them, as family members had rented out perhaps 30 rooms in the time before and during my wedding weekend. Food at the restaurants is expensive, as is the case at most hotels, and delicious. Many of the rooms either have a view of West End Ave. and the Parthenon, or Vanderbilt and the football stadium. Restaurants and stores including Borders and P.F. Chang's are steps away, easily accessed on foot without crossing any streets.

The service deserves really special mention. The staff at the Marriott bent over backwards to facilitate smooth check-ins for guests and distribution of all our "welcome bags." They also pitched in numerous times as my mom and I pulled together last-minute wedding tasks -- this includes sending and receiving faxes and other deliveries, as well as helping my mom (not a Nashville native) figure out good sources for different things. They helped my mom and I deal with several large, odd loads of stuff -- all the reception favors, for example. Several of them knew our names by the end of the week and were extremely friendly, helpful, and congratulatory. Bear in mind that our wedding utilized no Marriott services other than the block room reservations, which came at a block room discount. But they were more helpful to us in that last week, in lots of little ways, than some of my vendors.

I stayed at the Marriott a few weeks later for a friend's wedding, and this time the reception was actually at the Marriott. Their reception area was beautiful and the food was terrific.

In closing, I couldn't have been more pleased with our stay at the Marriott. The rooms are nicer than some of those at "boutique" Nashville hotels, including nearby Hotel Indigo, and the service is impeccable.

• Stayed September 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Bluffton, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Obviously, the Marriott has structured their hotels to place the Marriott for the business travelor with a large expense account, the Courtyard for the business travelor on a budget or for family travelors, the Fairfield inn for cost conscious families and the Resdience Inn for larger groups that need more space. It was obvious that this Marriott catred to the business crowd that wrote off all expenses since they charged $4 for water in the room while most hotels offered that as a service. They also charged $22 for overnight valet parking with only a $3 discount if you parked it yourself. What truly annoyed us was that they charged $9.95 for 24 hour internet access while every hotel we stayed during these two months of traveling the country has offered WiFi as a free service! Ludicrous! We ending up spending almost $50 with unnecessary charges and fees. Believe me...there are other choices. And I am a Marriott rewards member that will not use Marriott other than Courtyards or Fairfield Inns.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

Nice clean facility. Superb location. friendly staff. Shuttle Suburban will take you to/from downtown or Hillsboro Village or anywhere reasonable for tips. Many fine eating establishments withing walking distance. Unique view into Vandy football stadium from room. Pretty cool bar just off lobby.

What kept it from being 5* ? --Room wouldn't get quite as cool as I wanted.+ $23/day valet parking not really typical of location--but is kind of offset by liberal free shuttle policies.

Marriott Vanderbilt was a good place to stay, particularly at Priceline rate.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I vist Nashville about twice a year. This is a VERY BASIC Marriott and the only reason I stay here is if the Loews is full. Really there is no compelling reason to stay there in my opinion.
On my arrival this time I was offered a choice of 2 rooms - one with 2 beds or a king with disabled access. I asked for further explanation from the front desk clerk who just told me that there was shower instead of the tub. What she failed to mention was that the clothes rail in the wardrobe was built for disabled reach & therefore all of my clothes would be trailing on the ground! So I changed rooms.
There was no safe in the room and the views from many of the rooms are of the parking lot. The evening food delivered from room service was greasy & really unappealing, though the breakfasts were better.

Most disturbingly (and unhygenically) a had a experience repeated from a stay at the same hotel in 2005; namely my breakfast tray still sitting outside my room at 9.30pm when I returned from a day at the office. The room had been cleaned but sadly someone felt it OK to leave the food tray on the floor outside all day.

I really think the Marriott should look at upping its standards at this establishment. In the meantime I'm looking at staying at the Hutton next time.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Got this for $75 a night on Priceline, and it was a lovely hotel in a nice location -- centrally located to restaurants and shopping and just a short drive to Music Row and downtown. The front desk didn't even let us know about our parking options (they were not the most helpful bunch), but from reading this, we parked easily on the street in front of the hotel at all times (we were there over the holiday weekend). I suppose the hotel is fairly nondescript in a hotel kind of way, but the rooms were spacious, the bed was huge, and it appeared well-maintained. Only complaint is that the neighbor's plumbing was very loud.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

Excellent hotel and location with easy walking access to P. F. Chang's restaurant, Starbucks, Border's and Vanderbilt campus. Self parking area is not convenient.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

We visited Nashville to attend the Grand Ole Opry, but many downtown hotels were booked. We picked the Marriott at Vanderbilt, which isn't far from downtown and saved us money. The room cost about $137 a night including taxes and lugs. The hotel is shoehorned in between businesses and the Vanderbilt University football stadium. Parking is inconvient and costs $20 a night next door. But it's a good hotel with friendly staff. Rooms are smallish but well appointed. The bathroom sink wouldn't drain easily, and no one came when I reported it. Our view was of the Parthenon and the big city park. The breakfast buffet was good but a little pricey for what you get. They have a nice indoor swimming pool, but no whirlpool, which is something I missed. They take you downtown on their shuttle, but it stops at 11 p.m. and that's too early. There is one computer for the public, but kids were constantly on it. On balance, I'd rather we had stayed downtown.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University? Share your experiences!