“Nashville 2014” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Purchase, New York
“Nashville 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

We did a 4 night stay at the Nashville Marriott/Vanderbilt. The hotel staff was extremely courteous, friendly and welcoming. The hotel rooms were typical Marriott accommodations. Not ultra modern, but clean and comfortable. The hotel restaurant was excellent with many offerings. There was a Starbucks connected to the restaurant, so other options were always avalable. They offered a free shuttle service that we took advantage of; rides were offered in for a 2 mile radious of the hotel. Music Row and the Gultch were included. The hotel also had an indoor pool and fitness center - both very nice and very clean. It was a great stay!

Room Tip: we booked via Hotwire - a good value.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Patrick B, General Manager at Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University, responded to this review, September 30, 2014
Dear ItsOnlyMoney15,

Thank you for your review and for your mention of our extremely courteous, friendly, and welcoming staff! Very happy you were able to enjoy our onsite Starbucks, free shuttle to the downtown area, and pool/fitness center. Hopefully you can take advantage of our Bike Program next time you stay with us.

patrick.brown@whitelodging.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Memphis, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

Unexpectedly got this hotel on a blind Priceline bid. Very nice property in a good location next door to the Vanderbilt football stadium. I was able to check in early and was on the top floor so I didn't notice any street noise despite busy nightlife in the area. Note that they do charge for parking and wi-fi.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel faces Centennial Park and the Parthenon. The back faces the Vandy football st...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Dear jl2117,

Thank you for your 5-Star review and for your mention of our great in-room views! We look forward to your next visit with us.

Flushing, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

I had some concerns due to the reviews that I had read before my stay, but that all went away the minute I walked in. EVERY SINGLE STAFF MEMBER WAS PHENOMENAL! Whether it was 2 am on Saturday night when I wanted to heat up a chicken sandwich, or when I called before I got there asking if the starbucks was serving pumpkin spice lattes…checking in 3 hours before check in AND asking last minute for hypoallergenic bedding, everyone was so accommodating and they did it with a smile. I live in New York. That doesn't happen here! (they'll do it in ny, don't get me wrong, but they'll also let you know how annoying you are being) The housekeeping staff was great. They gave me travel tips to get a true local experience. And I swear Roslyn was waiting all day for the opportunity to make my bed. I can't get over the efficiency! Clean rooms, clean bathroom, great view :) I can understand why people would complain about parking, but there is also no need for a car, really. Cabs are pretty cheap (again, compared to new york) and the shuttle is great for getting around and getting picked up from all the places that you're going to want to visit. Also, to all of the people on here who are complaining about paying for wifi… you are ridiculous. Do I think wifi should be free? Yes, but I'm a liberal hippy like that. Am I going to complain about being charged for it like it was some sort of surprise? No. There are plenty of warnings before you get there letting you know that they charge for wifi. In reviews of the past, on different review sites, on the Marriott website, etc… There is a list of amenities that every hotel brags about and if wifi was ASSUMED to always be free, then most hotels who offer free wifi wouldn't list it as an amenity. Come on, people. You're better than that. Anyway, great place to stay and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear juleeuh,

Thank you for the amazing comment of having the "Most Courteous Staff EVER"...that's quite the feedback and please know it drives us to keep up that reputation! We have shared this with our staff, and especially Roslyn. Thank you for being a loyal guest and we hope to serve you again one day soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014 via mobile

With business bringing me to the West End area of Nashville frequently, I have had a lot of experience with this hotel, at which I have stayed many times. (I've also stayed at other properties in the area.)

The hotel has had some problems of late. Two visits ago, I had a late-night arrival and an absolutely atrocious experience at check-in--an extremely off-putting combination of rudeness and incompetence. In the morning, I asked to speak with the hotel's manager and was put through a 15-minute saga of the front desk calling a manager who said he was "in a meeting;" finally, I was able to speak with the hotel's general manager. To his credit, upon discussing my experience with me (and reading an e-mail summary), he was mortified by the service provided and quite apologetic. After taking a couple of days to investigate the situation, he remedied the situation to my satisfaction, so I decided to give the hotel another chance.

My latest stay included no major service flaws. The hotel has an open-concept lobby that I think confuses the staff; one day, I sat near the bar and had staff constantly asking me if they could get me something; the next night, I sat at tall tables near the bar and was ignored by the staff. More consistency would be nice. The lobby of the hotel is very nice.

I cannot say the same for the other parts of the hotel. It is past time for this property to be renovated. The style of the guest rooms and hallways is out-of-date. The carpet in the guest rooms is fading. The furniture in the guest rooms is old; most Marriott properties have far more modern furnishings. Everything was clean but the rooms need a major refresh. I'd say the hotel is now among the bottom tier of regular Marriotts when it comes to the quality of the room itself.

An annoyance: one morning around 8a, they were scrubbing the (marble) floor in front of the elevators and did not put down a "wet floor" sign. Not realizing the floor was wet, I fell on the floor. Thankfully it was a minor stumble and resulted in nothing but a slightly bruised ego...but I did find myself wondering if (a) the morning rush was really the best time to clean the floor in front of the elevators and (b) why the cleaning staff person hadn't put down a wet floor sign before starting.

I judge whether to stay here now by room rate. Often, this property has among the most expensive room rates in the area, going about $200/night (sometimes far above). It is not worth that price; if the price is closer to $150, I feel fine. There are other properties in the area that offer very good experiences (minus room service) for an often more affordable room rate.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Patrick B, General Manager at Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Dear brmusicman,

Thank you for your recent review and I am glad that we have improved since your first stay with us. That being said, it looks like we still have some work to do and we will be working hard to make sure your expectations are met on your next visit with us. We truly value your feedback and look and please let me know personally if I can be of any further service to you now or in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2014

Stayed here one night on a college tour trip. Great location near to Vanderbilt, simply walk out the door. Staff very friendly, quick prompt service. Great room, very clean. If I stopped there I would give it 5 stars. However of the 5 places we stayed on our tour only one charged for WiFi.... this one. Absolutely unacceptable in this day and age to charge for WiFi in a hotel. That is the only thing they need to change. If a Ramada that is less then $90/night gives free WiFi then no reason Marriott charges for it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear ADpsufan,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel and for your comments about our location, friendly staff, quick service, and clean rooms! My apologies for your issue about the charging for the Wifi as we certainly hope this will not be a deterrent for future stays given all the positives you have mentioned. Much appreciated and please let me know if there is anything further we can do for you.

Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014 via mobile

Clean, comfortable, hotel needs updating but it is sufficient. No parking really than the $35 valet. Good hike downtown, but nice restaurants are within closer walking distance. Nice staff. We had a nice view of the Parthenon from our window as well as the McDonalds Golden Arches. Not quite Greece!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Patrick B, General Manager at Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Dear edmartinonline,

Thank you for your recent review and for your nice comments about our hotel; specifically as to it's cleanliness, comfort, and friendly staff. We look forward to serving you again soon, please let me know if there is anything further I can do for you.

Patrick

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

The service was great. The food was very good though I would avoid the "flatbread" because it is extremely doughy and not at all flat but the sweet potato fried were amazing. The lobby is very nice and elevators open right up into the dining area. The rooms are old and look it. The hallway to the room was humid and smelled damp all the time. Housekeeping did not replace used coffee bags and left used stirrers behind, The pillows were awful and the curtains did not fully close so light always seeped into the room. On the plus side is the restaurant, the live music and nice location.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the parking lot - it is very well lit and with ill-closing curtains you will have...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Patrick B, General Manager at Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Dear Cynthia C,

Thank you for your recent review and for the great comments about Park 25 Bistro in regards to the food and service! Also, I am glad you were pleased with our renovated lobby areas. My apologies for the humidity and coffee amenity issues, as we are looking into correcting these lapses. We look forward to your next visit with us and please let me know if there is anything further I can do for you in the meantime.

patrick.brown@whitelodging.com

Been to Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University? Share your experiences!