“Nice hotel, plan on using cab service” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #45 of 150 hotels in Nashville
Huntington, West Virginia
“Nice hotel, plan on using cab service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights, through New Year’s Eve. We picked the location due to it’s proximity to downtown and to Belmont. We were going to a Belmont basketball game one evening. . Also, the downtown places were either sold out or much more expensive. I would recommend this place with a few warnings.

The staff is very nice and accommodating. We arrived early and they moved the rooms around so we could check-in early. Even though it wasn’t much hassle, we were given free internet for the duration of our stay. The bar area is okay – bartenders provide good and timely service. We watched part of a basketball game there one afternoon.

The shuttle driver is nice and it’s a good service, but don’t depend on this for your only transportation around town. There is just one driver per shift and when it’s crowded (such as New Year’s Eve weekend), you will likely not be able to use the service unless you are willing to wait for a long while. We were on vacation and didn’t want to spend our time waiting. Cab service is readily available and not expensive ($8-$10 for a ride downtown).

Ask for a room overlooking the football field, not much on the other side. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Just be a little careful if you order pizza delivery. We ordered from one of the local places (New York something) at the recommendation of the hotel. The food was good, but found out after checking the menu prices the next morning we were over-charged. Obviously this wasn’t the hotel’s fault.

We would stay here again depending on the cost. The employees are hard-working and friendly. The hotel was very clean. We would probably prefer to stay closer to downtown, within walking distance of the bars on broadway, since that is where we spend most of our time.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over-looking the football stadium.

413 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

The Marriott Nashville West End is my favorite Marriott property in the Nashville area, and it's my first choice for trips to Vanderbilt as long as I am able to find a reasonable rate. It's not new, but it looks fresh and sparkly clean. The staff are courteous and friendly. Housekeeping is excellent. The Concierge Lounge is bright and ample-sized, and it has nearly unobstructed views of the entire football field at the Vanderbilt stadium next door. Only a few minor nitpicks, including periodic gurgling noises from the air-conditioning system (more prevalent on floors 10 and 11, less so on lower floors), carpets that are starting to show wear, and rather expensive parking (about $23 including taxes). Plenty of restaurants nearby, and the hotel is a short walk to Vanderbilt campus. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and choosing Marriott. Please visit us again and check out our new Restaurant. Park25 Bistro.
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Nashville is a friendly city! I was impressed from the minute I got into the cab at the airport. Our cabbie was truly an ambassador for his city. The Marriott is very convenient for Vanderbilt visits. We arrived late, and thought they couldn't provide late checkout they were happy to keep our bags at the front desk while we did the student tour. Room service was very good. There's a printer in the lobby for printing boarding passes. Front desk personnel were exceptionally friendly. My only snafu was in not being real selective about the cab I took from the Marriott to the airport. The driver didn't speak English and didn't know his way around the city, twice getting lost and having to ask for directions. It was very frustrating! Still, that was no fault of the Marriott, he was there in line, and it was the luck of the draw. Altogether I suspect that Nashville is an excellent place to live based on the friendliness of virtually every local I encountered.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback and choosing Marriott.
Crossville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Went to Nashville to a Belmont basketball game and chose this hotel for location. We were not disappointed. People were friendly and very helpful and the room was immaculate. View of stadium was outstanding!!
I was a little worried about the comments I'd read about the self-parking being difficult as well as the price. We had no problems locating it and didn't think it was that big a deal. We returned to the hotel late in the evening and could not get the gate to open with the card. I went into the hotel and they were very apologetic about the problem we had experienced and even refunded the parking fee for our trouble!! You can't ask for more than that!! We will not hesitate to stay there again when we are in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for Stadium view!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us, it was a pleasure to serve you. Please visit again now that our lobby is completely renovated. Check out our facebook site.

thanks again.
Alameda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I traveled to Nashville just after a family tragedy, and arrived exhausted and grieving. The staff at the hotel was wonderful. They pampered me, helped me find all the places I needed to visit, and offered me comfort in my distress. The bed was so wonderfully soft and I was able to sleep for the first time in several days. It was a very healing experience. Thank you to the entire staff.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We just returned from a long weekend in Nashville. We chose this hotel based on price and location. We knew we had a car so decided that we did not need to spend double to stay downtown. We made the right choice. This hotel is only a 5 minute ride to downtown! There are restaurants that are around the hotel but you are better served to dine downtown. Since I always like the "pros and cons" reviews, I will do my best on this review.

Pros:
-Beds are real comfortable
-Rooms are well sized
-The room has a small fridge (bonus!)
-Only a 5 minute drive to downtown (I already mentioned that but needed to repeat it)
-Very nice staff (including Valet, Desk, and Bartender)
-Easy access to the freeway and airport (hint: fill up your tank prior to returning your car here. It will still show full at the rental return)
-Starbucks located right outside the front door

Cons:
-the sink drain sounded like it had a clog in it. We mentioned this to Housekeeping after our first night bt it continued throughout our stay (Room 637)
-Valet Parking was $24 per night. It sounds a bit steep but name another hotel valet in a big city that doesn't charge in the $20's for valet
-the "city" view is not much to look at. Ask for a stadiumview even during off season.
-Some spoke about the internet charge, but we did not use it at all (who brings their computers on vacation????). We only used our smart phones.

I hope you enjoy this hotel as much as my wife and I did. Check for my reviews on a few of the restaurants and attractions.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Stadium
Russellville, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on our night out and was shuttled over to the Ryman in the hotels Tahoe SUV. Which was nice to not have to worry about driving down town and parking.

We at the the bar before we left for the show and I was a little disappointed that the restaurant was closed - even though they had a full menu available - eating in the bar was not where I wanted to eat dinner. The waitress was super nice and provided all that we needed.

With it being the holidays - it was beautifully decorated. The rooms were clean and the bathroom was a super nice size and CLEAN. As we looked out our window we had a full view of the Vandy football field which would be fun to stay and watch a game.

The parking was a little odd and cost $25 dollars for the night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Marriott Nashville at Vanderbilt University? Share your experiences!