“Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #70 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Virginia
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Traveled with my wife to a business conference. Her company had booked rooms at this facility.On arrival we went to check in.Everything was going well until a young manager decided he needed to see the corporate card used to book the rooms.The rest of our party was about an hr behind us.We had to sit in the lobby & wait until they arrived.There was no problem with the card, I just had the impression this young man was new to his job & wanted to show some authority.
When we went to check in there were no luggage carts.I asked for one & he said they must all be on the floors where other guests had checked in & he would have to send someone to gather them.I waited another 15 mins or so & no one did so we carried all our luggage etc in by hand. The entire time I was there, I saw only 2 luggage carts for use by guests.
The room itself, a fairly expensive room (even with the corporate discount for the meeting,) offered no amenities. The TV was small & fairly old, the floor looked rather dirty.No mini-refrigerator nor microwave oven. The bed was like sleeping on the floor. While most facilities usually offer things such as free breakfast buffets, etc. This place offered nothing except hugely inflated prices on its food service.The cheapest items for breakfast were in the $10-12 range plus an automatic 20% gratuity.They didnt even offer complimentary coffee in the lobby.The high-speed internet which was free was very slow.As I was working from there while my wife was in her conference meetings, this was aggravating. The last day there I was having trouble accessing the internet.Their tech-support said our computer had been blocked. I asked why & his reply was apparently we had been using FaceBook which we had the night before & it took up too much band-width so they blocked us.We posted a couple of notes to our family & friends & that was about our extent of FBing. On our last night there we did learn they would supply a mini-refergarator or microwave on request & we did have a refrigerator brought up to keep our drinks chilled as we stayed in that evening.
To make matters worse, one of my wife's fellow employees had the room next to ours.She had slipped the chain lock on when she went to bed.Around 2:30 am she awoke to someone trying to enter her room. She yelled & a man asked if there was someone in there to which she yelled yes. He slammed the door & she peeked out but could see no one.She went down to the lobby to report it & discovered they had given keys to her room to someone checking in late.This is NOT GOOD.
I have done a good bit of travel over the years both for business and for pleasure.Generally the Holiday Inns are decent places to stay. This made this trip all the more disappointing. I would not recommend this particular facility for either.

Room Tip: My advice in choosing a good room would be to go to one of the other facilities nearby as there are...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Layton, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

Since 2000, I have traveled to Nashville every other year to see my best friends and father. The years have been kind and we decided to treat ourselves to nicer digs than where we've stayed in the past. I researched several hotels and presented the list to my friend. She opted for the Opryland Holiday Inn, based on it's reviews and the convenient lounge in the lobby.

I arrived in the wee hours on Sunday, October 9th and was greeted to a bright and lovely lobby. The desk attendant was very accomodating and I was eager to see our room. I was given the key to room 903 (a non smoking floor). Entering the elevator, I was a bit surprised at how shakey and creeky it sounded. I arrived to my floor and headed to my room, which was located at the end of the hall. I opened the door. My first impression was the smell; old and dank. The decor was not what I was expecting at all. From the weird patterned carpet, to the stained ottoman by the dresser. This was more like a $50 dollar room, rather than a $100 room.

Oddly, the bathroom was lovely (and I apologize that I neglected to take pictures of it, as it was the only renovation this hotel has seen for years). It was decked in marble and bright accents, with a high pressure shower. I suspect that all of the funds for the last upgrade went into the bathrooms. The only downside to the bathrooms were the hair dryers. They looked like they been picked up in bulk at the Wal-Mart and haphazardly placed on the counters. No convient mounting here.

I didn't expect to watch a lot of tv but, when I do, I prefer to watch with a clear picture and true stereo sound; you know, a modern tv. Goodness! The one in our room was from the dark ages! When I turned it on, it screamed and hissed. I'm sure a tube was getting ready to go (that ought to give you a good indication of how old this thing was). It was so annoying that we ended up changing rooms (across the hall). Who wants to turn up the volume only to hear more shrieking. Yikes!

In our new room, the t.v. didn't yell at us but I still felt a bit down by our choice. We had prepaid, so there was no getting out of it. Again, the lobby area is lovely. It boasts an open conference/buffet area and conference rooms, a restaurant, the swimming pools, jacuzzis, and a sauna. The Ivory Lounge was doing last call, by the time I arrived. We peaked in another night and thought the were doing Karaoke. To our dismay, it was the paid entertainment (really?!).

The pictures on their own sight are very misleading and my friend and I have decided to do "dry runs" before booking anywhere else again. One of the desk clerks told me that their headquarters are in discussion to upgrade to flat-screens in the next fiscal year. I hope their budget has designation for additional upgrades in the room because they are in desperate need. Again, I was quite pleased with the customer service. Everyone was so nice and accomodating; however, for what you pay for this hotel, you're really better to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: The 9th floor is entirely non-smoking.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

This was my first stay at this hotel, and I have to say I was disappointed. I have stayed at Holiday Inns before and they have always been exceptional. We were travelling with my boss, who had booked the rooms. I arrived before he did, and the young lady at the desk was able to pull up my reservations with no problems. Then one of the managers came over and told me I couldn't check in because I didn't have the credit card with me that the room was reserved on, so I had to wait in the lobby with my luggage. The room was just average, and we were surprised to find no refigerator or microwave. Seems like you can go to the Super 8 and have a fridge and microwave in every room. We did find out the second night that you could ask for a fridge and they would bring one to your room.
The room was clean, plenty of pillows, nice fluffy towels. But the bed was like laying on bricks! Very uncomfortable!! It was tough sitting in meetings all day with little sleep. The hotel advertises high speed internet, but it was more like dial up. I am a facebook user, and on the morning we were going to check out, we were unable to get an internet connection. When my husband asked about it, he was told that facebook overuses their system so our computer had been blocked from using it! I am sure I was not the only person in the hotel that uses facebook!
One of my coworkers was in the room next to us. The first night, around 2:30 in the morning, she was woken by someone coming in to her room! She had the chain lock on fortunately so they were not able to get in. When she reported this to the desk, the manager admitted that he had mistakenly given someone checking in keys to her room. This is scary for a woman travelling alone!
The hotel only has a couple of luggage carts available, so be prepared to either wait if you get there at a busy time or carry it yourself.
There is a restaurant and bar on premises. We went to the bar the first night to listen to live music which wasn't bad. Prices for drinks were also reasonable. The restaurant however was a little pricey, so we chose to eat elsewhere.
With all the hotels available in this area, which is close to the airport, it is a shame that this hotel does not offer the amenities one would expect with a Holiday Inn. The next time I travel to Nashville, I will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Akron, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I booked this hotel at the last minute as my business meetings changed. I'm a Priority Club Platinum member and have stayed at more HI properties than I could count. I reserved a room for 3 nights and was pleased at check in to find that they had nice on property benefits for Platinum members. Unfortunately, soon after I began to notice the age of the hotel. The elevators are obviously past their prime although functioning. The door jam to my room had paint cracks, and the TV in my room looked like something I had in my dorm room 15 years ago. I was happy to deal with the cosmetic issues I've mentioned as I understand that not every property can be brand new. The problem I had came with a hotel policy and the staff unwillingness to accommodate me. I had a tough day and I didn't feel like going out for dinner or even going down to the hotel restaurant. I decided to order pizza for delivery and jumped in the shower to get cleaned up and ready for an early night of relaxing and watching TV. After my shower, I dressed for bed and sat back to relax while waiting for my dinner. Soon after, received a call from the front desk asking if I had ordered pizza. I informed them that I had which was followed by the desk clerk telling me that I had to come to the lobby to pick up the pizza. He informed me that they did not allow non guests into the hotel. I asked to speak with the manager as I did not wish to get dressed just to pick up my pizza. Kim informed me that the policy was for my safety and that I must come to the lobby to pick it up. Mind you, it was 4:30 in the afternoon and I can't imagine they have a major security issue with a pizza delivery person at that time of day. Rather than offering to escort the pizza delivery person to my room so that I did not have to change clothes, Kim simply stated the hotel policy and left it at that. I find the hotel policy to be ridiculous unless they think they are in such a terrible neighborhood that they can't trust a local business employee to deliver a pizza to a guest at 4:30pm after they have already verified that I ordered the pizza. If the neighborhood is that bad, I wouldn't be interested in staying there again. Furthermore, Kim could have gone the extra mile and offered to escort the delivery person to my room. Between the obvious age of the property and the lack of desire to make things right for the guest, I decided to check out early and stay at another hotel for the final two nights of my trip. Not only will I avoid this hotel in the future, I will avoid all IHG properties whenever possible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
New England, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

It's a nice hotel. Very convenient to the airport and Opryland. Why I would keep coming back is the people. They have the freindliest staff of any hotel I've stayed at.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Hotel lobby very open with adjoining avtivity room & pool. Great location for access to the higway. Rooms were comfortable and effecient. I wouldn't mind staying there again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

I can't comment on my stay, because I didn't stay here. No, wait! Keep reading.

It wasn't this hotel's fault - they wanted me to stay there, I wanted to stay there, but a complex, terrible situation with my sole bankcard, plus an issue with the booking website I used, prevented it because I couldn't come up with a way to get an authorization for incidentals. Yes, the bankcard issue had me so stuck, I couldn't even come up with sufficient funds to do an incidentals charge authorization. Because of that, and even though my room was prepaid, as per the hotel's policy, I wasn't allowed to stay there.

So, there I was, crying (no, literally, crying) in the lobby because I was stuck in Nashville with no place to stay, had been awake since 3am, was frazzled, exhausted, frustrated.

The (Assistant?) Front Desk Manager, Eddie, bent over backwards to find me accommodations with what little funds I had. Poor Eddie spent over two hours with me. First, we tried to work out a deal with the booking website I used (name intentionally withheld - I refuse to even give them bad publicity) to no avail - he event went so far as to find other hotels in the area that would cost the same or less as what I had paid, hoping the booking site could use my already-charged funds as payment toward that other hotel. No luck, no luck, no luck.

As a last resort, Eddie called a number of hotels in a hunt to find one that I could afford with the limited cash in my wallet, didn't require a credit card at check-in, and wasn't a complete junker. After at least 45 minutes of him smiling and dialing, he found a place for me, all the while reassuring me that this would work out.

I don't want to sound like I was some helpless jerk who expected him to do everything for me - I just was, at that point, lost on what to do, had nobody I could call, and was stuck.

Eddie, for all you've done to get me through this, your efforts, kind words, and good, good soul will be long-remembered. Thank you, sir. Next time I'm in Nashville, I'll be staying here, and promise not to let other companies screw with my bank account. ;)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Opryland Airport? Share your experiences!