“Only in an emergency” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Only in an emergency”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We arrived into Nashville after driving for nearly 12 hours and we were hoping to find a hotel, check in, grab some dinner and sleep. We weren't expecting Nashville to be overrun with hoards of people descending to see the free open air street concert. We drove from hotel to hotel and everything was fully booked or crazily expensive. We even abandoned the idea of staying in Nashville and made our way to the highway to find a motel, but the slip road was closed and the traffic getting onto the highway was even more disheartening! We turned back and tried our luck again. That is when we discovered the Holiday Inn Express. We enquired about availability from the disinterested check in staff and quoted a quite high price. With no other options, we decided to stay.

I unloaded the luggage and parked the car in the car park around the owner, which f course, also carried a surcharge. Thankfully I found a space quite close to the lift.

As we had been traveling across the world and driving across much of the east of the US, we had a fair bit of luggage and inquired about a porter, only to be told that there was no porter. We had to load up and take the trolley all the way to our room, up the lift and long a seemingly endless and seedy looking corridor.

The room was nothing special and holds no favourable or negative memories. It was functional. A quick change of clothes and we walked the few minutes into the 'concert' area for dinner.

On our return, the check in staff were still oblivious to everything going on in the hotel and seemed more interested in their personal conversation than to acknowledge our entry. They were even too engrossed in their own discussion to pay heed to a drunken group of girls hijacking the luggage trolley to use as their personal vehicle to take them up in the lift, shouting at a standing guest waiting to enter the lift, leaving him quite confused.

For me, I knew that this meant I would have to carry the luggage down in the morning without the use of a trolley. Oh well. At least breakfast was included.

I thought too soon. Breakfast was more than basic. I am being quite harsh here, but if they had a trough, I am sure they would have dumped the food on it to serve to us. Well, it was more than basic and the kitchen use seemed to be churning out food and dumping it into the receptacles. The guests, however, seemed quite content with it, so we were the ones out of place.

As anticipated, I had to carry all the luggage down without the aid of a trolley and I deposited the card at reception with a quick and relieved goodbye.

Would I stay here again? Try and make me!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It was great to be able to walk everywhere and not use cabs. Nice pool and even afternoon snacks (with delish lemonade) in the lobby every day! The rooms had all the amenities we needed. The lobby had internet, which was great for researching local places.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor, which wasn't loud.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Hotel had a free shuttle downtown, very prompt and courteous. Location was within walking distance, also on a bus route. Staff was extremely helpful and very resourceful. Major attractions were reasonably priced and the Country Music Hall of Fame was the highlight of our trip. Don't miss the Parthenon or the farmers market either! Our next trip to Nashville we will definitely stay at this same hotel. The breakfast buffet was very typical, but it was free so no complaints. Make the trip to the Pancake Pantry...well worth the trip.The trolly tour was helpful and the guides gave you more information than you would ever get on your own, well worth the time.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Stayed here for a mid week business trip. If you need to be in federal court, this is your place. Everything good. Nice workout facility. Close to everything. Good breakfast in the morning. Coffee all day.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Location of hotel is great - so close to the action. The free shuttle service is what sold me on this hotel. I didn't think my Mother or I could walk as much as I presumed we would need to in order to see all the sites. Shuttle service was very efficient. All staff were pleasant and helpful. Breakfast buffet was more than adequate. Room was comfortable - nothing extraordinary, but comfortable and safe.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the church next door and Broadway - Room 723.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Cuyahoga Falls
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed here in April for a marathon. The location was perfect as the marathon started 5 blocks down the road. The runners lined up along Broadway and the corrals were located just outside the doors. We were able to cheer on our runner from two spots very close to the hotel in addition to the starting line. They supplied breakfast hours early to accommodate runners staying at the hotel. Room was spacious and quiet. The towels were super soft and smelled wonderful. I debated putting that in a review, but I have never had towels that soft before! I came home and was disappointed by my own linen closet. They offer a shuttle service that is GREAT and we utilized it a little bit. The only downside was it does not run on Sunday. Also, we asked if we could get picked up at the stadium after the race. They did not go that far and we understood. However, when we returned from the long walk, I heard someone saying the shuttle was at 3rd street picking up runners. Had someone suggested they would meet us at 3rd street, it would have helped as we were tired. Kelly was very helpful.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Overall, our stay at the Holiday Inn Express was really good. My husband I and I stayed over Memorial Day weekend so the hotel was full. The room wasn't the newest but overall it was clean and the bed comfortable. I thought the breakfast was really good with biscuits, gravy, eggs, sausage, plus the standard cereal, breads, and oatmeal. My only problem with this hotel was the price. We stayed two nights and were quoted $150 for one night and $250 for the next. Also, parking is $24 a day and the parking garage was full so we were told to park next door in another parking lot. If I vacation in Nashville again, there won't be a huge desire to stay downtown, I'd rather save several $$ and stay about 10 minutes away from the downtown area.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown? Share your experiences!