“Paper-thin walls = terrible sleep = low rating.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #58 of 150 hotels in Nashville
Seattle, Washington
“Paper-thin walls = terrible sleep = low rating.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm normally a fan of the Holiday Inn brand, and this is the first time I've had a negative experience at a Holiday Inn anywhere. The room was fine, nothing special, but clean and modern. Breakfast was generic and fairly bland, as it always is at hotels. The fan/AC did not work well so the room was very warm, and the bed was hard.

But what really brings this rating down was the poor sleep quality due to the noise from the hallway all night long. When I booked my room (two MONTHS in advance) I specifically asked for a room in a quiet location. Naturally, they put me right next to the elevator. The walls and door appeared to have no soundproofing whatsoever, as I could hear peoples' conversations up and down the hallway at all hours of the night (and seriously, does anyone whisper in the middle of the night anymore?). I had a terrible sleep, and did not wake up happy, or feeling that this was money well spent.

No matter how nice a hotel is, how comfortable the room, or clean the bathroom, or friendly the service, if the sleep quality is poor, I'll never be able to give a good rating. I'd stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you like sleeping, I'd stay somewhere else. Otherwise, if you ask for a quiet location, make...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DP615, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
JP19,

JP19,

Thank you for your comments. I do apologize for any inconvenience and the lack of sleep that you experienced during your stay. I do want you to know that this is not the norm at our hotel, and I apologize that you did not sleep well. I would like to discuss these issues with you further with more details if you wish to do so.

570 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Rome, GA, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This hotel advertised as a downtown Nashville property. It is on the fringe of downtown. About a 10 minute walk, but other downtown hotels (the Hilton, the Hampton Inn, and the Renaissance) are all more convenient, and frankly - much nicer. This hotel runs about $300 per night with parking. You can expect this price range for a nice hotel in downtown Nashville. The problem here is that this is only an average hotel. The rooms are tired and dated. The hallways are dingy. The elevator is slow. The parking garage is so poorly designed, it takes a lot of time to get in and out of the spaces. This bad parking is not free. There is a mandatory charge of $20 per night.

Our room on the street side was subject to lots of street noise (sirens, etc). The hotel is under renovation and the prices were not adjusted for this inconvenience.

To be fair - the room was clean, roomy, and the bed was comfortable. The breakfast was plentiful and tasty. If we had paid an average price for this room, I would have found it quite acceptable. But under the circumstances, it was overpriced and a very poor value.

I would advise folks to look around. I know you always get what you pay for, but I felt we paid for more than we got. This is not your best choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street. You can also request an upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Southern_Belle815,

Thank you for your recent comments. I do apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Yes we do charge for parking, the fee is $20 per night. All hotels in the downtown area charge for parking as well. I am glad the room and breakfast experiences were both good experiences for you. Again I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

A spontaneous girl’s weekend road trip to Nashville from Atlanta was a success! One of my girlfriend's booked the hotel by the other recommendations she read here; but I just felt that I had to write a review myself for the experience I had with this location and hotel. Upon arrival while the others were checking in, I used the restrooms located in the lobby and was impressed by the cleanliness. Our double bed room was up to date and very comfortable. The restroom was spacious for all 4 girls to do our hair and makeup. There was a spacious fridge where we were able to keep our fruits and water; and a microwave was also available. The location is walking distance from "the strip" but it was too cold to walk in heels that evening, but the hotel did offer a shuttle service; so that was awesome! Kevin, our shuttle driver was helpful and nice. We had breakfast downstairs the next morning and it was satisfying for being free and convenient. Another group of friends checked in this next morning and the hotel was accommodating enough to let them check into the room next to us. Front desk was kind of enough to make note of this when we called earlier in the week. No promises could be made, but it worked out well. For lunch, it was a nice afternoon so we were able to walk to Panera. Then headed off to enjoy the Belle Meade Plantation, however was not walking distance, but worth the history learning experience. For dinner, we enjoyed the atmosphere and food at Tavern Midtown. Also, while waiting for the shuttle, Derek at the front desk was kind of enough to offer assistance in taking pictures for our group! The staff from the front desk, maintenance, shuttle service, the gift shop worker, to the house keeping were always very warm friendly. We never walked by anyone without being greeted and asked if were in need of anything. My main reasoning of sharing this review is to bring attention to Sofia and Eric in housekeeping. Having so much fun in Nashville and rushing to leave Sunday I left behind an expensive watch. After unpacking, and not being able to find it I called the next day and reached Eric, manager of housekeeping. He answered my call immediately and knew exactly what was left behind because Sofia turned it into the lost and found. Eric was very supportive and professional about taking down my information and getting my property back to me asap. I am very thankful for Sophia and happy about my outcome and stay with the Holiday Inn Express in Downtown Nashville!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Susan S,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We love hearing comments like this and are glad that you had a great time in Nashville. It's good to see that our shuttle van, front desk, and housekeeping staff all did a great job. Again, thank you for your comments and come back and visit us soon.

North West
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed only 1 night . Convenient location 10 minutes walk to main street bars/ restaurants..
Hotel was fine comfortable beds , clean, Could hear the sirens of ambulance? Fire engines?
during the night but not a great problem. The free breakfast was self service and quite satisfactory plenty of cereals, milk, breads and croissants yoghurts, fruit and toast.And coffee/tea from a machine. Would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express with some friends for a girls weekend, and we had a blast. The room and hotel itself is a typical hotel, but it was clean and comfortable. The staff was very friendly, professional and helpful. The hotel is located in a great location to downtown Nashville, which is were we spent most of our time. We were able to walk to and from our hotel to downtown everyday. We also loved the fact that the hotel offered a free shuttle around certain parts of the city. Even getting a cab from here to tourist locales like Grand Ole Opry was reasonable. Overall, we had a great experience staying at the Holiday Inn Express, and would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

But the hotel had no guest bar !! It was 11pm and I had to go to hotel across the street to get some beer !!! ( no convenience store nearby). Friendly staff though, great location, simple room, nothing amazing but a clump of dirt in the corner of the room behind night locker. I was shocked to see cos overall the accommodation looked clean and crisp.
Would I stay again? Yes cos it's cheap accommodation in expensive Nashville, I'd just bring my own beverage and ask for another room again had I found traces of dirt (which I don't think it would happen again).

• Stayed August 2012
DP615, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Kasia28_12,

Thank you for your comments about our facility. I do apologize any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. I would like to point out that Holiday Inn Express as a brand is not allowed to have a bar, so you would not find a bar at any of our locations throughout the world. I would also like to note that there is a convenience store two blocks from our hotel. Once again, I apologize for any inconveniences that occurred and hope that you will stay with us again.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Checked in late Thursday night for Lifeway Convention. No problems on check in even when we had to change names on registration at last minute. Breakfast next morning was ham eggs, biscuits and gravy, ceral muffins fruit and the norm. And of course the make your own pancakes. The beds were a little small for a double. We had four people in our room and it was a little cramped bed wise. All the amenities were there. We even had snow Saturday morning. All in all a great stay.

Room Tip: If you have more than two people in a room make sure you ask for the biggest bed possible. We had 4...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown? Share your experiences!