“positive experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 150 hotels in Nashville
GA
“positive experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2007

I agree with most of the travelers about the hotel. The location was good. My room was clean and cheerful. There was a good deal of debris on the hallway carpets, but there was a lot of traffic walking through. I liked the granite counter tops in the bathroom, and the inside of the hotel was updated. The outside could have used a face lift, but I could care less as long as the inside was suitable. The staff was friendly. There were above average options at the breakfast bar. I was thankful that I didn't spend a fortune to stay downtown. The walk seemed safe enough from the hotel. It was pretty active downtown on a Sunday night. The parking was $15 for my one night stay. That is the first time that I have ever had to pay to park at a hotel in which I was staying. However, I was happy with the hotel and I would recommend it.

• Liked — location, breakfast, friendly staff, best value for downtown
  • Disliked — paying to park
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

624 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

I spent a night at this HI Express because of the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. I am mystified. This is a large, older, unrenovated
hotel with minimum likable qualities. For starters. it's very dirty. The hallways are filthy in the corners and littered with debris. The elevators and common areas are also dirty. The room wasn't vacuumed sufficiently either. The bed, pretty basic necessity, was long gone for any comfort, very lumpy and soft. The continental breakfast was average though the service was attentive and gracious. Front desk service was gracious as well, but no one knows how to give directions to places I needed to go. At a rate of $169.00/night, this is an unacceptable value.

• Stayed November 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

This hotel is in a great location. Within walking distance of downtown Nashville. It is located on the main road so we felt quite safe walking to and from the hotel. We found the accommodations excellent value for the money we paid. Breakfast is included and also food at night such as hot dogs. There is free public internet access. The room was very spacious and clean. Staff were very friendly.

• Liked — Value for Money
  • Disliked — Corridors had fluff at the edges of the carpet
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Commerce,GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2007

The parking is horrible, not enough room to move around in the deck/laundry/storage area. Had overpowering smoke smell on the floor we were on. We also had a debit card stolen from the room and not much cooperation about the incident from hotel employees.

Stayed October 2007
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

Large clean rooms, free internet in the lobby. great location, only a 5 minute walk to all bars and shows. Even so the hotel offers a free shuttle service to downtown resturants and bars ect. Breakfast is absolutley awesome by american standards. Woud stay here again.

Stayed May 2006
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

On our third hotel stop on our tour of the South, we ended up at the Holiday Inn Express. This was a very nice hotel and probably the best one we stayed at the whole tour. The rooms were large, featured pillows labeled soft or firm for the pillow specific, and had vending machines on all floors. Also a pretty relatively quiet hotel and a nice workout room. There is also free internet access in the lobby which although slow gave me the chance to check my email. They also had a free breakfast in the morning and a free afternoon snack that was popcorn, nachos and other days chili dogs. We were also located across from the Frist Museum which was nice and walked to the Flying Saucer for dinner.

• Liked — Free breakfast and afternoon snack
  • Disliked — Would have liked to been closer to more restaurants and shops
  • Stayed September 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

I had a hard time picking neutral or above average. I chose above average only because of the price as compared to it's competition and it's location.

The location of this hotel was key, on Broadway within walking distance of the honkytonk bars. You will be three blocks away from the nightspots at the top of the hill, it is an uphill walk on the way home, the average person can walk it. Parking at the hotel is $14/day, parking in the city is $10/night, there is no way around it other than the meters which are ALWAYS taken and have a 2 hour limit. The parking garage is a fender benders paradise, there are so many concrete supports that it was difficult to navigate a double cab short bed truck thru it, yet by no means unmanageable.

My only complaints were the bathroom and the curtains. I believe that I have determined the meaning of Holiday Inn "EXPRESS". Express means quick, that's the kind of job they do cleaning the bathroom! When we arrived, there was blue shampoo of some sort on the shower wall, hair in the tub, half used shampoo bottles on the side, and a half empty Pepsi botle on the toilet tank. I called the desk and told them so they sent the cleaners up. When finished we had more new towels but still had the hair, blue shampoo on the wall, half used bottles of shampoo, and the mysterious Pepsi bottle. I can honestly say that in our 3 night stay, the shower was not filthy yet NEVER PROPERLY CLEANED! We had hair every day and the half bottles finally dissapeared on the third day, we threw away the Pepsi bottle. The rest of the bathroom and the room were cleaned satisfactorily or I would have been calling the desk. Also, BRING SAFETY PINS.... the curtains do not close and light from the adjacent parking garage will keep you awake all night! I don't mean that they almost close, I mean that they are open 4 feet! We pinned ours shut each night and it closed them fairly well.

In conclusion....I was afraid of the place at first due to the lower price compared to the others. In retrospect, I would go there again. It's cheaper, it's not the Hilton, but the location was good, the free breakfast was good, without a doubt the nicest H.I. Express that I have stayed in. Other comments that my wife had was how quiet the room and and hallway were and the bed/bedding/sheets/pillows were excellent. I don't always sleep well in hotels, this one was great for relaxing and sleeping! If you're there for seeing the sites and hitting the honkeytonks, you won't be in the room much anyway, there's plenty to do!

• Liked — Great location plus the bed/bedding/pillows were excellent
  • Disliked — The shower was never properly cleaned and the curtains don't close
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn Express Nashville Downtown? Share your experiences!