“Perfect for Us!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 Nashville B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Perfect for Us!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My friends are were on a small road trip through Nashville and wanted somewhere cheaper to stay at but also as close to the music/bar scene as possible while being safe and this the perfect find! We personally aren't picky fancy amenities and were not in the room much, but the 3 of us found the rooms for rent great for our needs. You can't beat the price, around $50, the room was very comfortable, and since its on campus its in a very safe and beautiful area. We had a picnic for lunch on one day and walked around a bit, we walked to Broadway one night and it was about 30 minutes, but decided for cabs the rest of the time and ended up being $10 per ride. Not to mention everyone there was extremely friendly. Basically if this fits your needs, it could be a great find!

Room Tip: We specifically asked for a double, so I think they either have two beds or a queen size, which is w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hi Kiersten, Thanks so much for the review. We're glad that you and your friends enjoyed Scarritt-Bennett. Come back and see us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I'll go over the weird or off things first:

When I got there in the morning obviously the rooms aren't ready so I wanted to leave my luggage before check-in time. Their idea of a luggage space is the hallway, not locked in a room somewhere. I am not really sure if that is more or less safe (could be more safe, I don't really know) but I believe it is worth noting.

Couldn't really figure out the heating/cooling system. It was freezing in the room but it was nice and warm outside, and I wanted to turn the heat on. When I did so it seemed like it was just blowing out cold air. I really didn't get cold until late at night and there isn't front desk service, just a security guard you can call. But it being so late and me being so tired I just beared it.

Another weird thing is I wasn't really sure what access I was allowed on the campus. The doors were all locked but at one point I walked into a building that was wide open thinking it would lead me to the registration desk or some other thing I would have liked to have found (another review here mentions a cafeteria, which I never saw). Instead I found nothing, and a security guard nicely but suspiciously asked me what I was doing there. Later when I was just sitting on a bench the same guard seemed to look at me funny and I don't know if I felt all that welcome or if I was being treated suspicious or what. I guess there weren't all that many guests there that night, I saw maybe 3 or 4, and maybe it was weird that I was there on a slow day with no events going on. But I was a tourist and that was the day I needed to be there.

Check-in ends unusually early and the place is not staffed, I don't remember the closing time but it was not that late. I think if you are getting into Nashville late you might be out of luck with this place. I'm sure there is security to let you in but how strange.

Now the good stuff. The campus is just straight beautiful and I wanted to sit there for hours and hours on end, especially since I was there on such a beautiful day. I loved walking around the area, it was like exploring Hogwarts castle or something. Most of my pictures of Nashville are of this place. I really wish I could have seen the interior of the dining hall.

The room was fine. I found this place on a hostel site and I was expecting the room to be of less quality. It was like a "half hotel" room. You share the bathroom with your neighbor but I don't believe I had one. Considering how old this building is the place was in good condition.

There was a washer & dryer in my building, I certainly would have used it if I needed it. I think this should have been advertised in their promotional material, great convenience.

Wifi was OK and I was able to watch Netflix since there was a lack of a tv in the room. However, they do have a tv room which was rather quiant. It had an old TV and a kitchenette and chairs.

I seriously would love to go to a convention or show or meeting at this space. I wish I had that opportunity.

It was walking distance to quite a lot of good places to eat. There's a fried chicken joint not too far that I thought was amazing.

Plenty of free parking all over.

If you're looking for a cheap place just to lay down I recommend this place highly. If you're in Nashville during good weather I certainly recommend this place, just relax on the campus grounds.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback, Chris. I'll pass it along to our team.

An FYI for anyone who might read this post and have questions about late check in. Our Guest Services desk is open Mon-Sat from 8 AM - 9 PM and Sunday from 8 AM - 4 PM.

If you're arriving after those hours, Security will check you in. Their office is located in the Guest Services front lobby and their phone is (615) 480-5150. If you will be arriving after midnight, please contact our front desk at (615) 340-7500 before 5 p.m. Central Time on the day of arrival to make arrangements. Hope that helps!
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

I love the grounds of Scarritt-Bennett Center!

I was housed in one of the more spartan rooms but even then it was clean and relatively comfortable. It was nice to have a bathroom with a tub and I didn't mind sharing since I knew the person in the room next to me. One disadvantage was that my room was facing a main road and that got noisy because there appeared to be student housing of some kind across the street. But beyond that it was nice. DO remember to bring your own hair dryer (if necessary) and toiletries if you want something other than bar soap.

The food in the cafeteria is wonderful! The staff are helpful and willing to accommodate dietary needs as best as they can. They serve an extensive line of high-end fair trade/organic teas (one of my hooks).

SB Center is also within easy walking distance of many local, and sometimes famous eateries, too.

I would definitely return if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thanks so much for the review! I've passed it on to the Scarritt-Bennett team. Hope you pass this way again! Best, Beth Kindig
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

If you're looking for a reasonably priced, basic room in a tranquil setting this is your place. The neon lights & hubbub of downtown are only 10-12 min away and easily reached by car or public transportation.

A "starving musician" friend had an audition in the Nashville area so we chose to stay for a few days and make it a fun girls trip. After checking out hotel prices and hostels we needed to look further for a reasonably priced place to stay that also got good reviews. I found the Scarritt-Bennett Center and thought it looked intriguing. After carefully studying the Nashville transportation map I decided it's location was quite manageable using public transportation. We ended up having to rent a car but we also did a lot of walking in the neighborhood surrounding the center. I am so very glad I did.

The facility was easy to find (use Parking Lot A off 18th St) and it was clearly signed where to check in. The parking was ample and FREE! Our rooms were very basic and comfortable. There were 2 bedrooms connected to a bathroom. Bedding,2 pillows and towels are provided, so are soap bars. There is service every three days. In each room was a twin bed, desk,chest of drawers and an alcove closet. There was a central light, a desk lamp and a wall lamb at the head of the bed. There is no bedside table but there is a chair in the room you can move and use to put things on it. Down the hallway was a lounge with several couches, a small fridge and sink and a tiny tv. There is FREE wifi that I only used to get email but my friend used it to watch TV on her laptop when she couldn't sleep and she said it worked very well.

There is no elevator (at least that we found) so be prepared to carry your luggage up stairs.

The only heat/air controls are in the bathroom and it's a single setting for both rooms. The settings are just off/lo/med/high. Lo was plenty to keep the rooms well heated and at one point I needed to crack my window just a bit to cool my room down but my friend was quite happy with the temp. There is just a light cotton blanket and a thin bedspread in each room so I was really glad the heat worked well.

The buildings and grounds are beautiful and tranquil. The huge trees were all decked out in fall colors and I loved walking round enjoying the peace.

There is a selection of chain places to eat within a 5 minute min walk- like Panera Bread, Starbucks and a Wendy's. But I suggest you walk up 21st into the Hillsboro Village (15-20 min?) and eat at any one of the eclectic little places there. Its a lovely walk in the fall- the trees are vivid reds & yellows and the weather is cool enough without being cold. There are also little shops to browse. You can easily spend half a day there- or more! The Pancake Pantry (a Nashville tradition) is in Hillsboro- they're only open until 3pm so you need to plan on breakfast or lunch only.

Vanderbilt University and it's art galleries and beautiful grounds are about a 5-10 min walk away.

Room Tip: There is no elevator (at least that I found) so ask for a room on the ground floor if you can't...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We’re so glad that you had a good experience and enjoyed your stay. If you visit with us again this time of year and are in need of any extra bedding or blankets please give our front desk a call and they will be happy to provide those. Hope to see you again!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stayed at the Scarritt-Bennett Center for 5 nights. The property is adjacent to Vanderbilt University. The buildings and grounds were beautiful. Hopefully, you'll have time to enjoy the outdoor labyrinth during your visit.

If you are driving, park in Lot A (access is from 18th Street). Parking was ample and free. Check-in was easy, but they are strict about the 3:00pm check-in time, mostly because of the rooms needing to be cleaned. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. You'll be given 2 keys; one opens the door to the residence hall; the other opens the door to your room. Note that the buildings don't have elevators so if you're unable to navigate stairs, as for a first floor room. Also, there are no luggage carts.

I stayed in Bragg Hall; one of three residence halls on property. Each residence hall has male and female guests. However, you will be assigned the same gender to share the adjoining bathroom.

The room is simple, think 1920s women's dorm room. There is a twin bed with a reading light hung on the wall next to the bed. There is a desk with 4 drawers and a small chair. Next to the desk is a sitting chair. The bathroom door is next to the chair; the door has a full-length mirror attached. A small sliding lock is attached to the bathroom door to prevent entry to the room from the bathroom. The HVAC control was in the bathroom and controls both rooms that adjoin to the bathroom. There is a small closet with approximately 8 hangers and it has a couple of shelves above the hangers for storage. An extra pillow and blanket were placed in the rack above the hangers. There is also a moveable luggage rack.

The bed is firm so if you like a pillow top mattress, this bed may feel uncomfortable. The pillow was flatter than what I use; however, I stacked the extra pillow with the one on the bed and slept just fine. Since there is not night stand, I moved the desk chair next to the bed in order to have a place for my alarm clock, phone, etc.

Scarritt-Bennett Center is near the Vanderbilt Medical School and VA Hospital. Therefore, you may hear helicopters coming and going from time to time. If you're sensitive to noise, bring ear plugs.

The shower was comfortable. There isn't a dehumidifier in the bathroom, so if you take a hot shower, you will want to open the small bathroom window. On the back of each bathroom door, there are two racks and a hook to hang your towels. Each room is provided with one washcloth, one face towel, two full towels, and a floor towel/mat. They give you fresh washcloths/towels every 3 days. (I checked in on a Tuesday and didn't get new washcloths/towels until Friday.) I don't mind reusing full towels, but I like a fresh washcloth each time I shower, so I brought along extra washcloths.

On the second floor, half way down the hall, there is a lounge with a TV, microwave, small refrigerator, table and chairs, and a couch. The refrigerator had a few items inside already.

There is a clothes washer and dryer as well as an iron and ironing board in the basement. I washed one load of clothes. It costs $1.50 (in quarters) for one load of wash and another $1.50 for one load to dry. There were several bottles of laundry detergent in the basement. I assumed they were left from previous guests, who did not use all the detergent and left it there for others to use.

Check-out was a 10:30am; they are strict about this time. If you need to stay beyond the 10:30am check-out time, you can store your luggage in the main office.

I recommend this place for singles traveling alone or for those, who don't mind separate rooms. It is not luxurious, it is comfortable and convenient. In fact, I enjoyed the time without a TV, though I did play music from my phone. It's a good place to stay, but keep your expectations realistic.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your feedback. Come back and see us!
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

What do you say about this monastery like campus next to Vanderbilt University which is a conference/wedding center devoted to christian values and ending racism? How about unique? The campus is really several buildings including three dorm like buildings with very small shoebox rooms and shared bathroom. The rooms are clean, twin bed and room service every three days. Open closet, one chest of drawers, No TV. Wifi is intermittent at best. Planes fly overhead so I brought earplugs. there is a lounge on each floor with refrigerator and microwave. Price? $50 a night. Super bargain. If you can accept that, then you have found the best room deal in Nashville. This is really for single visitors. Families will have difficulty staying here.

The Gray dining hall is a majestic, medieval building right out of a movie. The food was very good served buffet style with picnic table seating.

The lobby is in Laskey Hall, a conference room and morning coffee place. Things are pretty loose and people leave their bags in a hallway while waiting to check in which is strictly open only after 3 PM. Get into the building by 9 PM or you will get locked out. I personally loved walking around the campus which are beautiful stone buildings topped by a bell tower building. There is also a big labyrinth to help clear your mind. A great place to have a conference for contemplation.

Room Tip: Ask if you can get a room where you don't have to share the bathroom. There is one or two rooms...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Many thanks for the review and for sharing some of the details that make Scarritt-Bennett so unique. We're glad you enjoyed the campus. Please visit again!
Cordoba, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Went 2 nights from July 4th to 6th.
Great Location considering you need a car to visit Nashville and nearby (Free Parking included).
Right in the middle of Vanderbilt University.
Very Quiet neigborhood.
It's not a hotel even a B&B: it's like a University dorm.
Shared bathroom (your room and the next one have a door to the same bathroom, and you can loke it, so the guest in the next room can´t enter while you're in). In my stay nobody was in the next room ;).
If you're suposed to be all thay outside visiting the city I strongly recommend it for the price and location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thanks for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review!

Been to Scarritt-Bennett Center? Share your experiences!