“Lovely location, okay facilities” 3 of 5 stars

Scarritt-Bennett Center
1008 19th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37212   |
Ranked #7 of 21 Nashville B&B and Inns
Martin, Tennessee
“Lovely location, okay facilities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The location of this property is very convenient, very close to the Vanderbilt campus. The grounds are breathtaking as are the old buildings. The conference facility was fine - Not fancy. The vendor space was a little awkward. All in all, it was a good place to have a conference.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

When I travelled to Nashville, I was on a budget and by myself, so I didn't want to pay upwards of $100 for a room that I wasn't planning on being in too often. I found Scarritt-Bennett purely by accident, and at $30 a night for a room, it was a great deal! It was a shared bathroom with the room next door, but I only had a neighbor the first night, so even that wasn't bothersome. The front desk people were very helpful and were able to answer my questions and direct me to some fun places nearby. I can't see this working well for families, since the rooms are singles, but for people travelling alone, it's safe, clean and a great deal!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Coto de Caza, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The $50 per night for a single room located right on the property of a former Methodist College for Women built in the 1800's got my attention. My conference for Worship Mentors was meeting there and it looked very convenient, as well as affordable. Most rooms share a bath and I admit I was a bit squeamish about that part. Turns out it was really not a big deal.

On my first night there I discovered the woman on the other side of the bathroom had locked the door from the inside. Security opened it for me. When I heard her door open in the hall I knocked on her door, telling her I was the woman next door sharing the bathroom. She opened up her door and smiled at me, and I said I wanted to just say hello and suggest that she not lock the bathroom door, but that I would latch my door from the inside and before I entered the bathroom I would knock on the door first to make sure she was not in there. She gladly agreed to do the same. It worked out well - I never heard her. She left early the next day and a good friend I knew from the conference moved into that room.

The converted dorm was really very quiet. I almost never heard anything at all, even though the rooms were full. I was given room 104 in Cadwaller Hall. It connected to room 102. The bathroom was quite large and had handicapped bars by the toilet and in the bathtub - a really big bathrub/shower combo. Room 102 was larger than 104 and looked like it had wheelchair accessible doors. I am not positive about this, but it seemed so. The decor was a bit from the 80's as in a rose colored carpet, but the carpet was clean. The single bed was very comfortable. Sheets were fine, and they brought me some extra pillows as I had requested ahead of time. I read in other reviews that the towels were thin, but I found them to be as good as hotel towels in most places. There was a desk, a lamp by the bed, and a desk lamp, a comfy sitting chair, and a desk chair. Also there was a closet organizer kind of structure so you could unpack your clothes, but it was open to the room, though set back. The windows seemed to be made of leaded glass, but could be opened for fresh air. There was also AC/heat, but only one or the other depending on the season. We caught a cold spell and were glad there was a heater in the bathroom

The dorm also had a lounge on our floor with a fridge, microwave, filtered water, and a TV. There were no TVs or radios in the room.

The meeting rooms were gorgeous - the buildings were done in the Gothic style and the chapel was wonderful with a big pipe organ - all very pleasing to the eye and the ear with wonderful acoustics.

Many restaurants, a CVS, and other necessities were only a block or two away, so a car was not needed.

I would definitely stay here again. The staff was gracious and very welcoming. Give it a try and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. For the price, you cannot beat this. And, it is dedicated to empowering women. That was its role as it educated Methodist women bound for the mission field. It was pretty cool to think of carrying on that tradition.

Room Tip: First floor if they do not want to use stairs, and Rooms 104 and 102 in Cadwaller seem to work for h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. Thanks for the mention of our non-profit mission as well. In addition to empowering women, our community programs also focus on racial equality, cross-cultural understanding and spiritual reflection. These endeavors were carried over from our days as a former college.

We appreciate your support and are glad you had a great visit!
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I often check out of a motel with no idea whether or not the TV in the room even worked. I can't remember the last time I used the phone in a room to call anywhere other than the front desk. For me, the most important aspects of an sleeping spot, next to cleanliness, are price & location and this place did well on both.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here by myself in September 2012. At the time I was an exchange student from Australia doing a weekend trip to Nashville and I didn't have a lot of money to spend but didn't want to stay in the hostel. I had a single room with my own bathroom which I wasn't expecting. The room was a lot bigger than I expected and I liked having a desk and a chest of drawers to put my things on. The rooms and decor are a bit dated but that didn't bother me at all. The shower worked well (especially compared to my dorm bathroom) and there was a bathtub as well. The bed wasn't the comfiest in the world but if I'm tired enough, I can fall asleep on the floor so the bed didn't bother me too much! The grounds and buildings are really beautiful and make up for the dated rooms in my opinion. The location was really good too, around the corner there's a couple of places to eat like Subway, Chipotle, Starbucks and Panera Bread. There was also a bus to downtown but most of the time I just walked (I'd say it was about 30 minutes to get to the Hall of Fame). The ladies at the front desk were really nice and helpful, I arrived before check in time but they stored my suitcase for me so I could grab a bite to eat. I had to check out before the front desk opened but it was a fairly simple process of just giving my key to the security guard instead. It was around 6am that the shuttle bus picked me up and it was still dark out so I was a little nervous. The security guard told me where to stand so that he could see me from his office and keep an eye on me so that was really nice of him.

I'm coming back to Nashville for CMAfest in June this year with a group of friends. This time I'm staying in a twin room with a shared bathroom but I'm not anticipating having any problems with that. All the other hotels jack their prices up like crazy during CMAfest so our week at Scarritt Bennet is probably costing the same as one night in a normal hotel that week.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
We look forward to seeing you in a couple of months! Thanks for the review.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was an interesting trip. It was a bit last minute and all the area hotels were either sold old or ridiculously expensive. We saw this place on tripadvisor and checked it out. I was only traveling with one child so we decided to be adventurous... with the plans to find a hotel if it was too bad when we arrived. That was never necessary. In all honestly.. I chose because it was very close to the pool complex and the price was very reasonable. I knew we wouldn't be around except to sleep so didn't need any other amenities. I was pleasantly surprised at how fond I was of this place!

It is a beautiful campus.. very peaceful and quiet. Staff was lovely. We stayed in building G.. Plenty of parking. It is an old college dorm.. so if you know that going in..you will be OK. We had two adjoining single rooms b/c no double rooms were available. They were nice and gave me a discount off of both rooms so it ended being $40 /per room , per night. . The rooms were very clean and comfortable. They were simply decorated in pale shades of tan and white. Each room had a bed, a chest of drawers, a small closet above, a bedside table and a chair with ottoman. It didn't seem shabby at all.. just clean and simple. I am sure you could get more pillows.. but I was glad we brought our own to bulk up what they had as they were a bit flat. I found the simple decor of the room to be quite mindclearing. There was a clock radio but no tv. there is free WiFi but it's a bit spotty from our room. It was nice and quiet. I rarely heard anyone else but could hear the birds singing in the morning. It was a surprise to me that we liked it as much as we did. I found it to be very peaceful. there is a common room on each floor with cable TV. table, sofa and fridge/ microwave. we were able to store food in fridge and pick up dinner to eat there. This wouldn't be such a good deal if there are a lot of you.. but for one or two people it is a great secret surprise in the heart of Nashville. Parking was easy and close, and always available. The grounds are open to walk, The chapel is also occasionally open. Great Gothic architecture that is lovely . They have coffee and tea available in lobby of main building. This is adjacent to Vanderbilt campus and right downtown. GREAT location. Right on edge of music row area too. The chapel and grounds were voted one of the top places in Nashville to get married. It would be a beautiful place for a wedding. All in all, we had a great experience. It was fun and even my 14 year old liked it! I will stay again!!

Room Tip: if you are driving.. bring your own pillow.. or call ahead and make sure you can get extra.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Scarritt-Bennett, Public Relations Manager at Scarritt-Bennett Center, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. We're glad you had a great visit!
Ghent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

So the rooms are outdated, there is no elevator, nor tv.
We didn't care about those things anyway.
The staff was super friendly, the furniture is unique and we got what we came for:
A tranquil location with a twist right in the center of Nashville.
It is a small community and you are supporting a good cause whilst staying here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple