“Wonderful Time in Nashville” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   733 Briley Parkway, Nashville, TN 37217   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #68 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Racine, Wisconsin
“Wonderful Time in Nashville”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We spent 3 nights at the Hotel Preston while we were Nashville for the Southern Ground Music & Food Festival. It's just 5 miles from downtown and easy enough to get a cab if you don't want to drive and try to park downtown. The hotel is clean and the rooms are comfortable and roomy. The staff does a great job accommodating your needs. They provide a shuttle from the airport to the hotel but not downtown.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Hearing this great feedback is more rewarding than you know, Lisa. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Our staff works hard to make sure our guests are taken care of, so thanks for giving them a shout out!

Next time you're back in Nashville, we'd love for you to stay with us again.

Until then,
Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Claims to be a boutique hotel and its furnishing do make an attempt at being such but ultimately the building is too dingy and prison like for this to work. The staff are shocking and checking in and out seemed like an imposition to the staff. One saving grace was the shuttle driver to the GOO, he was excellent, so friendly, helpful and all round fantastic. He's too good for that place and should go elsewhere rather than be a shining star at this alcatraz of a hotel. So expensive for what it provided too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I'm sorry you feel this way. We want our guests to have a relaxing and memorable stay, so the fact that you thought it was "prison-like" is disappointing. If our staff came across as anything but professional, I want to apologize. That certainly wasn't their intention. I'm happy to continue this conversation and hear any more specific feedback you have for us regarding our staff, amenities or ambiance.

Much appreciated,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Whatever could go wrong did. The staff was incompetent at all aspects. The desk staff put us in the wrong room. They would not admit or figure out that they did they and they kept making excuses to cover that up. We were told we had to deal with our room. They then gave our room keys to other guests who walked in on us. The wi-fi would work. All this added up to giving us the wrong room. After they finally decided to admit it the informed us we were in the wrong room which we argued with them early for at least 15 minutes. Our new room had a bloody booger on the bathroom floor and we didn't have a remote. After ALL of this we got NO concessions, discount, apologies. The manager was rude. We will never be back and we travel near there a good 10 nights a year.

Stayed September 2013
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience, Pete. Before anything else, our guests' happiness comes first, so as you can imagine, this review is disappointing to read. The reservation mix up was our mistake—there was confusion with two guests who had very similar names. I want to apologize for this initial inconvenience.

After investigating the mistake, we contacted you and asked if you would like to move into the king bed you had reserved. Upon following up, you let us know you had concerns about the cleanliness of the room and that you were missing a remote. I apologize if your room wasn't clean before you arrived—I will be sure to speak with my staff about this, as we take cleanliness very seriously. We promptly sent housekeeping up to your room and maintenance delivered the remote.

We then apologized by offering you vouchers for your inconvenience and you respectfully declined them. If you have any more concerns or questions for me, I'm happy to continue this conversation. Once again, I apologize for these series of missteps and can promise you this won't be an issue moving forward.

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My wife and I recently spent the night at The Preston with a few of our friends in a Executive Double. We walked into a boutique lobby and were greeted by a host of friendly staff. I had booked this room the week prior on the Hotel's website and anticipated a night out in Nashville and a comfortable night sleep. Unfortunately we did not have the experience we planned for.

Our first room either A.) had a window leak or B.) had a leak from the AC that had dampened the carpet 15 or more feet from the source. While trying to take care of this, Jenna was helpful in moving our room, but unfortunately with only two at the front desk, the transition took a lot of time. Once in our room, we were delivered a lava lamp and beta fish... quirky. We also tried our luck with the pillow menu, and were delivered a body pillow and two "firm," not firm, pillows with no pillowcases. When we asked for pillow coverings they were delivered in a reasonable amount of time. My hope is in the future, body pillowcases become a part of the lineup as two regular pillow covers fall off.

There were two outside forces that impacted our stay, Titans preseason football, and the downtown BBQ fest. The impact was most noted in our travel in Nashville. Preston offers a shuttle, which takes you to where you need to be... and cabs charge a flat fee of $18 one way, but the shuttle was not running so this expense seemed outlandish.

My wife and I are big fans of boutique hotels, and wanted so badly to be a fan of the Preston. Unfortunately, we likely will not make this our first choice in Nashville based on our experience.

Poor fish.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Sorry to hear about your disappointing stay, Shaun. While I appreciate you rooting for boutique hotels, I'm surprised to read that this one didn't meet your expectations.

I apologize for that leak—situations like this are rare and we did what we could to accommodate you, however I completely understand your frustration. The same goes with our shuttle service to downtown—I'm sorry that this wasn't available for you during your trip. This is something I'll look into for you.

Was there anything else that you feel like we could improve upon? We'd love for you to give this quirky hotel one more chance. I'm confident we can impress you moving forward!

Be well,
Hazlet, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was there recently for a convention and my stay was comfortable but this hotel is in desperate need of updating of walls and carpets. The drab brown color just makes it seem well, drab. The lobby furniture and dressers in the rooms have seen better days. The staff was great, very helpful and polite. As for the restaurant, I only ate breakfast because the dinner prices were very high (we went out). Saturday breakfast was good, portions were large, but the Sunday Brunch, not so great.food was cold, eggs tasted powdered, selection was ok. We did have lunch in the bar and some appetizers one night and they were good. Drinks were expensive in the bar.

Room Tip: i was in Suite 605 and it was clean, nice bed and no water or shower problems. I really didn't h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We appreciate your feedback. While it's always wonderful to hear that our staff was attentive and helpful, I'm sorry your experience was just so-so. We take pride in our quirky and unique hotel—that includes funky decor—but I'll definitely take note of your suggestions for updating. We usually hear great reviews about our Sunday Brunch, so I'm surprised to read that your food was unappetizing. I'll be sure to speak with the restaurant about this.

I do hope you'll keep us in mind in the future. A second chance to impress you would mean the world to us!

Cheers,
gran canaria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is one of these disaster stays, that you would need to experience to believe.

We should have realised this was going to be bad, when after we sent 3 e-mails to ask about courtesy transport, and none of them were replied to, which meant we traveled 7,000 miles and then had to ask around at the airport how to contact the hotel, as the Preston had no courtesy phone in the courtesy bus booth.

We eventually were helped out by a person waiting to be picked up from another hotel, and about an hour later arrived at our destination. When we did arrive the staff were more than pleasant.

This was when the bottom fell out of our stay in the Hotel Preston, we went straight to bed, and had a really bad time sleeping as the aircon sounded like a jet fighter taking off every time it started up. We got up in the morning and I went to have a look at the aircon and the carpet about 6 foot all round it was under water, and in the daylight the room was very dull and dreary looking, There was no fridge nothing to enhance your stay, plus the telephone to reception did not work.

We complained to reception about the carpet and aircon and were told it would be fixed. After about 8 hours later we arrived back at the hotel, and the carpet was still very wet. I told reception and was asked if we wanted to change rooms, but as we were leaving the next morning, the thought of packing and unpacking was too daunting, and as we were going to Memphis for 1 night and were returning, we told reception we did not want that room again under any circumstances.

We returned the following evening and were given another room, and on inspection could have been another hotel. , this room had a fridge, microwave, robes and many other items the other room didn't have, even if it was only a few doors away.

Things went ok for 1 day but on the second morning, we were ready to go for a shower when we heard a bang, not knowing what it was we tried the water, and there was nothing, we waited for about an hour and went to reception, and were told that maintainence was working on it, but if we wanted to move to the lower floors the water was ok, we said we would wait, We waited another hour and still no water, and had to wash ourselves down with face wipes until the water came on.

We arrived back in the hotel later that afternoon to find water, and managed a shower, I then took my complaints to the manageress, who offered us a free breakfast the morning we were leaving, and as this was a non refundable booking we accepted, and I the overheard another member of staff say the problem wasn't in the hotel, but a burst water main outside, I thought thats strange, how can a burst main get water to the bottom 6 floors and nowhere else.

Our last morning at the Hotel Preston ended as it had began, a shambles, we went for our breakfast, and it was like an episode from 'Faulty Towers', after a long wait to be served, (there were only 2 others in the restaurant), we finally were asked what we required to drink, we said orange juice, and the waiter only brought 1, and we had to ask for one each. The breakfast was nothing short of terrible, and if I had had to pay for it, I would have asked for my money back.

All in all this was the ' Hotel from Hell', the only one saving grace for this place, was the reception and courtesy bus staff, they were excellent.

Room Tip: Don't book this Hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. We always want our guests to feel taken care of, so I can promise you this review is surprising and disappointing to read. We never received those emails asking about a courtesy transport, so I apologize for the lack of communication. Did you try calling us beforehand? We would have been happy to let you know about our shuttle.

I apologize if your first room was less than ideal—our staff member was correct, a water main had burst that day and we were doing all we could to make up for any damages or frustrations. It's a shame your dining experience was not up to standards, as well. Which menu items did you try? Any more feedback you have for us is greatly appreciated.

Once again, I want to apologize for this unfortunate experience. I'm happy to continue this conversation and answer any questions or clear up any confusion.

Worcester, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I travel to Nashville frequently and have stayed at several hotels near the airport. I wouldn't call anywhere else I've stayed fun or unique, but that was my first impression of Hotel Preston. I was intrigued by all the goodies on arrival. The lobby had a fun vibe, too, with a show going on in the lounge, and the building itself was just a little more interesting in terms of decorating and layout than many of the big box hotels. I had a comfortable evening after checking in and left the door hanger out to order breakfast to arrive at 6:30. It arrived promptly and cheerfully and it was good! Then things went downhill.

The shower had NO water pressure. Water only dribbled out half the holes of the shower spout. While I was drying my hair, the power went out. A maintenance guy stopped by after it had been turned back on to let me know the breaker had flipped. But why? I was using the hotel-supplied hair dryer and I had only had it on a few minutes. The only other thing drawing power in the room was the tv and a few light bulbs. Was it going to happen again? The maintenance guy agreed it probably would. I finished drying my hair in one minute spurts, and happily the power would stay on until I was ready for work.

When I got home in the evening, I noticed that there was no new door hanger so that I could order breakfast for the next morning -- I called the front desk to ask for one. The front desk had no idea what I was talking about and told me I needed to call room service in the morning to get breakfast. [Which would prevent its arrival promptly at 6:30 a.m.]. The front desk really seemed to think I was making this up, and I felt pretty crazy saying that I had used the doorhanger to order breakfast just that morning. So either the front desk has no idea how breakfast works in their own hotel, or someone is planting rogue breakfast doorhangers in rooms, and THEN picking them up and turning them into breakfast. The conversation ended with the front desk saying they would have a doorhanger sent to me (even though two seconds earlier, she had told me they don't exist). None ever arrived. [I went to Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast instead -- it's one block south on Briley Pkwy if this happens to you.]

The next morning, again very little water pressure. The power went out again. This time it was out for more than 20 minutes and didn't go back on until I had called the desk twice. No followup to this whatsoever. When I went downstairs to check out, the front desk person recognized my room number and asked then if the power had ever gone back on. I said yes and asked if that happened frequently. She said it had never happened before.... even though it happened to me yesterday. The other front desk person logged it. I said the whole incident meant that I would probably never stay here again. They didn't seem to care.

The hotel sent me the mass 'hope you had a great stay' email with the survey. Not much chance I'll be filling that out, now that I've seen the response they have in person to an obviously unsatisfied guest.

Some other small things which I probably would have overlooked in light of the hotel's many small charms;
-the air conditioner was ridiculously loud and sounded like an airplane revving up every time the compressor turned back on.
-the elevator/card access thing is finicky. I think the security of it is great and I don't mind having to use the card, but i did mind how it sometimes took several tries to get going. I ran into other guests in the elevator having similar difficulties.
-my lava lamp was fun, but also had mashed potatoes encrusted on one side, which I assume were the previous owner's dinner.
-the hotel is skimpy with toiletries. They supply very skinny bars of soap and only one face bar and one bath bar per visit, and then shampoo and conditioner. No lotion. Not a big deal, but it comes off like an economy hotel, and the price definitely isn't.
-Room service and the front desk are unable to see which room you are calling from; they always ask for your room number. This seems kind of un-modern.
--My room phone rang several times, with no one at the other end when I answered. They were also three messages on my phone when I got home at the end of the day, but they contained nothing but clicks. I have no idea what this is all about.

I was in Room 1111; maybe all these problems are unique to that room and you can just avoid it.....

Room Tip: Avoid 1111. Be careful how much electricity you try to consume.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. While frustrating, little glitches and missteps happen. However, what raises a big red flag for me, is the way you say our staff handled these issues. I can promise you that our guests' comfort and happiness always come first, so these disinterested or nonchalant responses are very uncharacteristic of our staff.

I've heard no mention of power outages or low water pressure, but I will look into this personally. We pride ourselves on making sure our guests are taken care of, so I'm very sorry about this poor service. Would you mind calling me at your connivence? I'd like to get some more information from you so I can make sure this is taken care of.

615.361.5900

Been to Hotel Preston? Share your experiences!