“Issues with bites” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Preston
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   733 Briley Parkway, Nashville, TN 37217   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save 15% on Trip Advisor!
Ranked #70 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
“Issues with bites”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

First the positives, the hotel is placed near the airport and the bar staff in the evening were very friendly. Good room layout, decent bathroom.

Now the negatives; I was bitten multiple times during the night by insects which must have been in the bed, it created itchy welts that stuck around for a couple of weeks. I gave the hotel plenty of opportunity to respond rather than "we didn't find anything, tough" but it has been some time now so times up! Additionally the airport transfers, whilst free, are only available every 30 mins which didn't fit in well with my flight plans, considering every minute counts in the morning. I couldn't have had breakfast even if I wanted to pay for it as there were no staff there when I walked in and waited for some minutes.

Room Tip: Somewhere low down in the building as the lifts are slow.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about this incident. To be quite frank, your review was the first time I heard about your experience, and this immediately raised a red flag. After reading this, I had our pest company come and check your room— they did not find any bedbugs. This room has been rented to over 41 guests since you check out, and I haven't heard any complaints on this subject. Had I known you tried to contact us, I would have reach out to you immediately, so I apologize if this caused you any added frustration. We take health and cleanliness very seriously and have passed every health code test with flying colors.

Please let me know if you would like to continue this discussion. I would appreciate any more information you can give us. I'd be happy to talk about any of your other concerns, as well.

steve.hoida@hotelpreston.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Older property that was remodeled but seems the refresh that was incomplete. We requested a late check-out and were offered a "late check-out" until noon despite several rooms being available.

I am unclear why this is considered a "Boutique Hotel" it is neither small, luxurious nor is it exclusive... Simply independently owned.

The reception area and the staff are the strong points for this property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thanks for your honesty. While it's never fun to read lukewarm reviews, we welcome any feedback you have. It lets us know what we're doing well and also what we can improve. We are called a boutique hotel because we are independently owned, like you said, and we also offer unique and quirky amenities that mainstream hotels do it. For example, we have pillow menus, lava lamps and even goldfish upon request!

Thanks for mentioning our helpful staff— we work hard to make sure that our guests are taken care of. I'm sorry you were frustrated about your check-out time. We have late check-out at noon so that we can get our rooms ready by the time our new guests arrive for the day. I apologized if you felt rushed in any way. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The hotel overall is very interesting. The rooms were clean so we were very pleased with that. The fact that there is no fridge In the room is a little strange. The cab fare from there to down town is about 17-20 each way. Wish the shuttle would bring you for free would be way worth the value and worth the money and would bring more business to the hotel. You can apparently ask for a pet fish which I asked for just a joke and 2 days later finally got one and next morning woke up to a dead fish was pretty saddening. The man Kyle that works the front desk was very friendly although we had to wait longer then planned to check in he was very nice about it. Great customer service, thanks Kyle! Would stay again it was clean and not too far from everything. We had had issues with the soda machine on our floor a few times but it was a bit of a running joke for us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We welcome feedback of any kind— it lets us know what we're doing right and also what we can do better! While it's wonderful you had a great stay with us overall, but I apologize for the minor kinks and missteps you experienced. I will definitely take note of your concern about the shuttles. While we are about 10 minutes from downtown, we are just a stone's throw away from the airport, which we believe is a big plus for many of our guests. Also, just so you know, we do offer mini-fridges upon request, but we should have vocalized that and I apologize.

I'm so sorry your pet fish died! Those circumstances are never ideal. Did you let our staff know? We would have been happy to replace it. Thank you for mentioning how friendly our staff was— we'll be sure to pass this message along to Kyle. Next time you're in Nashville, we hope you'll stay with us again!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This little hotel on the fringes of Nashville is a unique place for people looking to hit up the sights and (obviously) the sounds of Nashville but who don't want to stay in the heart of downtown.

The Hotel Preston itself stands about 15min between you and the ever-so-touristy locations off Broadway in downtown Nashville. Oh, also, it's right the hell in front of "BNA" (aka, Nashville International). To be fair though, it's BA to watch all the planes from BNA take off or land every few minutes from your room.

Clearly this is an older hotel that's been renovated into a modern "boutique hotel".

For those unfamiliar with the concept of a boutique hotel, I'll give you the reader's digest version: a boutique hotel is in essence a non-brand name hotel that features lots of quirky touches you might not find at your run of the mill Motel 8. The Hotel Preston, for example, offers a "pillow menu" (a selection of pillow types available at the front desk), a "spiritual menu" (a selection of religious texts available at the front desk) and your choice of a lava lamp or goldfish at check-in.

While the gigantic, faded ads on the exterior of the building might suggest the hotel preston is a cheesy joint, turns out, it's actually pretty slick. It has a nice lobby, nice atrium, a restaurant and a AARP card holding nightlife scene courtesy of the "pink slip lounge". To be fair though, the pink slip lounge provided some of the more entertaining moments of my experience with the Hotel Preston. These elements (along with an extremely friendly staff) combine to make this an interesting (and entertaining) option for lodging in Nashville.

Staying in the suite offers up a unique set of benefits. Let's get this out of the way first: as I mentioned, this place is old. And there are a lot of compromises to make for staying in an old hotel. Even in the most expensive room offered.

The "suite" features two bathrooms, although one of the two basically had a nonexistent drain in our experience. Seriously, by the end my stay, I walked out of the hotel room with a half full bathtub (courtesy of said broken drain).

In addition, cleanliness offered something to be desired. My wife and I found two silk-cut hearts on the floor next to the bed, hinting at a previous sexual rendezvous in the very bed we were sleeping in. Look. People have sex in hotels. But finding remnants of someone else's sexual conquests in the same bed you're sleeping in is a bit weird. Also, we found two….errr….suggestive imprints on the window in the bedroom. I won't go into much detail, but imagine two female mammory glands being pressed against the hotel window and their prints not cleaned off and you have an idea of what we saw.

The furniture has clearly been abused (seriously, there are scratches all over basically everything), but the furniture is nicely laid out and in ample supply in the suite I stayed in. Nice little drawers and ample storage and seating made the furniture a nice addition to the Preston Hotel's lineup. Also, did I mention that the lights that are scattered throughout the room have an illuminated base to them? Pretty nifty.

Yes. It has a lot of "city miles" on it. Yes, there are things in this hotel I'd rather not think of. But, in the end, I didn't leave with bedbugs.

So, in the end, the Hotel Preston is a solid choice. Yes… we ran into cleanliness issues (boob imprints, broken showers, sexual remnants, etc.) but the overall stay can't be beat based on the price we paid. Certainly worth checking out if you find yourself in the Nashville area.

See a video review: http://youtu.be/_RX5h1_VzgI

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a detailed review. While it sounds like you had an enjoyable stay overall, I'm sorry there were several missteps on our part. Thanks for mentioning the fun amenities we offer— like our pillow menu and lava lamps. We like to think of ourselves as a fun escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, and it sounds like we did our job!

That being said, I'd love to get some more information from you regarding a few of the things you mentioned. I'm sorry about your broken drain— that must have been very frustrating. Did you let our staff know about this? We would have gladly gotten someone to fix that for you. I apologize for those silk hearts left on your floor and any sort of imprints left on the window. I can promise you, we take cleanliness very seriously, so this raises a red flag. I will absolutely speak with my staff about this. I'm truly sorry if you were uncomfortable in any way. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this some more.

Once again, I appreciate this feedback. I do hope you will stay with us again. I'm confident we will put our best foot forward!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Hotel Preston is very unique, it reminds me of a Vegas hotel/casino with its themed decor. Everything was very clean and of greater quality than regular hotel. The bed was nice and comfortable and you can order different pillows upon arrival although we enjoyed the ones we had. You may also order a lava lamp or fish for the kids (my teen loved this) for no additional charges. The only thing that is a negative is the lack of a breakfast buffet if you have kids. However, you don't really expect free meals with upper level hotels like this one anyway. We also did not like the lack of luggage carts available. I booked through Priceline and it was a wonderful experience. The hotel is close enough to downtown to make it convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're so glad you enjoyed our unique and quirky hotel! It's wonderful your kids got a kick out of our lava lamp and goldfish.We're all about making sure your entire family gets the most out of their stay. That being said, we'll definitely take note of your concern about the limiting breakfast selection and lack of luggage carts. We're always open to feedback, so any more thoughts you have, I'm all ears! Next time you need a getaway, we'd love for you to stay with us.

Be well,
Jackson, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The hotel was very new and modern. Red "fur" was framed in the elevators. The rooms were spacious and clean. The only drawback is that this is a $20 cab from downtown. The hotel will call you a cab to get there and it was easy getting one back, but if you want to be in the middle of all the Nashville action - this is not the place for you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Trish,
Thanks for this feedback. I'm so glad you're a fan of our authentic and funky hotel. We want our guests to have an awesome experience with us, so it's wonderful you loved our modern design. That being said, I'm sorry you think we're a little far from downtown. It might cost you a little extra for a cab ride, but we're a stone's throw away from the airport and you can't beat that convenience— no muss, no fuss for travelers. Hey, next time you need a place to stay in Nashville, we'd love for you to come back and see us!

Be well,
South Pittsburg, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel at least 6 or 7 times. It is a remodel of an older chain hotel property with all kinds of special touches. It is filled with off beat works of art. The interior of the elevators is trimmed in cowhide. The quality and styling of the room furnishings linens etc is fantastic. When the kids are with us we even get to, borrow' a goldfish or lava lamp for the evening. The hotel is so close to the airport that it makes a great 'park,stay,and fly' experience. The staff cheerfully makes any reasonable request a reality. The price is always a pleasant surprise and so effortless. It really is my favorite hotel.

Room Tip: Only 3 1/2 star hotel near BNA. Try 'name you own price' on priceline for a few days. you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Warren,
It's wonderful to hear back from such longtime, loyal customers! From our funky amenities to our authentic Nashville photography, we're proud of our quirkiness and glad you're a fan, as well. It's wonderful your kids get a kick out of our goldfish and lava lamps. Thanks for mentioning our friendly staff and convenient location, too. We're always trying to make our guests' lives a little easier! Please come back and see us soon.

Cheers,
Steve

Been to Hotel Preston? Share your experiences!