“Nice, but dated” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 150 hotels in Nashville
Madisonville, Kentucky
“Nice, but dated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here a couple of nights in November. Nice hotel, nice and efficient front desk staff. Hotel is definitely dated. Furniture was old and marred, but comfortable bed and room was nice size. Very clean and bathroom was small but updated and nice. All the staff seemed friendly and ready to help. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

700 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Central Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here for a few days in early November. Some good things about the hotel:
1) Very easy to get to and from the airport from here.
2) Very easy to get to and from downtown from here.
3) SUPER friendly staff
4) A neat vibe and atmosphere.
5) Clean rooms
6) Cozy beds
7) Reasonably priced

What could have gone a little better:
1) Loud neighbors. From what I heard, there was a wedding reception going on at the hotel, (who reading this hasn't gotten loud at a hotel while having fun during a wedding reception). The bed was cozy, so it wasn't a big bother.
2) The 11th floor hallway smelled a little like smoke, but thankfully our room didn't.

Summary:
Next time I am in Nashville, I will be staying here!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I live less than hour away from Nashville, I also work from home, a lot. I needed a change of scenery and having driven by the Hotel Preston for many years, I finally decided that the HP would be my next "escape".

I am glad I chose the HP. I was met at the front desk by Jazz, a very warm, welcoming, funny professional young man, whom any business owner or manager should be proud to have on their team.

The housekeeping staff, even tho i haven't dealt with any of them on a personal level, appear to take great pride in their work and it shows.
My room is( I say "is", because I am still in my room), one of the cleanest, most comfortable room i have stayed in, in quite a while, the only downfall for my room is the desk chair appears tobe stuck in the lowest position because I feel like I'm sitting on playhouse furniture, but it's nothing to get my knickers in a twist about, I'm using a couple of the bed pillows for lift, problem solved.

My room is a king/smoking, in most hotels, you can exit the elevator and just follow your nose to the smoking rooms. Not here, theree was not even the slightest smell of smoke in the hallway or even in my room for that matter. I don't know what they use in the rooms and halls to kill the smoke odor, but it works.

I have seen reviews of people that have stayed here lately and i have few things to say about their reviews.
True, at times, someone, somewhere drops the ball(are you so perfect?), but, there is always someone right there to correct the situation, so no need to go on a rant, get over it, don't let it ruin your occassion, as we all know there are some people that just can't be pleased, regardless of how far other people bend over backwards for them.

As far as other reviews complaints, all I can say is...

1. The key card required to operate the elevator is a security feature, as it keeps kids from palying in the elevators, and it keeps "undesirable" from accessing the rooms, you were "inconvenienced" because you had a kid et al?

When I chose a hotel, one of the things I look for is security, I dont think you could get any safer as far as keeping the "freaks" out.
*********************************************
2. You book a hotel near an airport and have the audacity to complain about the noise at the hotel?!?!?!

Are you kidding me? thats like going to a concert and complaining that the music was too loud.
*******************************************************

3. It took 2 hours to get a fridge?

WAAAAAH!!! i carry a collasible, soft cooler and get ice from the ice machine, even tho I understand that children have foodstuffs and formulas that need to be refrigerated, but, at least HP offered and deliverd the fridge right? So why get nasty about it?
I have stayed in more expensive hotels than the HP, that in the long run, weren't as nice, didnt offer a fridge, a microwave or even have coffe makers in the room.

Did you expect them to drop everything and deliver the fridge as soon as you hung up the phone? It's not as simple as calling someone up and saying "hey, room #? needs a fridge, and POOF! there's your fridge, there is a protocol involved in allocating such requests, and believe it or not, sometimes it takes longer than a few minutes to get things done.
***************************************************

4. Boutique Hotel?

Really? Nowhere is it impied that the H is "trying to be a "boutique hotel"...you want boutique hotel...go to Vegas or New York, this is Nashville Tennessee. I appreciate the fact that there are no "boutiques" as it keeps the cost of staying there to a minmum, and there is a huge mall about 5 miles away.
**********************************************

5. No robe in the room?

Again, WAAAAAAAAH!! you were so inconvenienced because a robe wasnt in the room that you let it ruin your stay? Does your mommy still wipe your butt for you too?

6. Too much noise?

Uhm...let's see...college football weekend,, drunk people, partying in a hotel...

Were you never young once?
****************************************************

7. No breakfast in room yet there was a coffee maker?

Be glad there was a coffee maker, I've stayed inmuch more expensive hotels that didnt have coffee makers in the room, much less "breakfast". If you want "free breakfast", then stay somewhere else, the HP has a full service restaurant on site that offers a breakfast menu as well as room serivce.

8. The internet sucks...

I'll give you that, but not to the point where it ruined my life, get over yourself and go on.
**********************************************************

9. The carpet is stained...

Is your house totally spotless? No spots on your carpets? Not every room can be hardcore cleaned every day.
******************************************

10. They have an airport shuttle, but not a downtown shuttle...

I don't know what to say about that one, other than if you want downtown, stay downtown, I've stayed in a lot of places and not one of them has ever offered a "down town shuttle".
That's why they have these things called "taxis"...just in case you dont know how they work...you make a phone call, tell the person on the other end of the phone where you are, and where you want to go, you then hang up the phone, go outside and wait for a vehicle, sometimes a car, sometimes a van, and sometimes, if you are one of those people that think the world revolves around them, then a limo, anyway, you get in the vehicle, tell the driver where you want to go...are you starting to see how this works?
************************************************

11. Last night a bulb blew out in the bathroom...

It really did happen to me, last night and it is the end of the world for me. I don't know how I made it through the night knowing I had a blown light bulb. I'm stressed over this, I made need life long therapy after this...What am I to do? Should I cover my head and cower in the closet like a frightened child? Should I call corporate hq and complain? Should I call the entire hotel management team and demand that I be compensated for the incovenience of having a light bulb out?

Absolutley not, I am going to stare into the mirror and chant "candy man" 3 times...j/k, I'm going to stand in front of the mirror and admire my youthful good looks in the lower light...but...then again, perhaps it's the lower light that is allowing me to have these "youthful good looks" lol..

OMG!! What to do...Here's is how I will handle the situation, since I am here for another night, i will inform the front desk that there is a blown bulb in the bathroom, and there is no hurry to change it for me, as there are 4 more lights that are still working...

See how that works...make the best of a situation, think about how lucky and fortunate you are that you can enjoy these types of "luxuries", then, think about people that really do have major crises going on in their lives.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
********************************************************************

The Hotel Preston prides itself on it's appearance, staff and quality of the services it provides, it is clean, affordable, comfortable, close to the airport and shopping, not too far from down town and close to a lot of activites.
Don't let the negative comments sway you, as they are all very minor situations that weren't rectified.
Would I recommend the HP?.......In a New York Minute.

Would I stay here again?.........In a New york heartbeat.

What would i change about the HP if I could?

For starters, I would improve the internet, that is a "must do".

I would get a better cable lineup.

I would install handrails in a majority of the rooms to make them a little safe as far as climbing in and out of the bath tubs, as some people do have mobility issues, that don't require a total ada complaint room.
************************************
All in all, my stay here at the HP(of which I am only on my first morning, which means I am writing this in my room and not a week after I get home), has been above and beyond any expectations that I had.

So, with that being said, I am planning my next "escape", and it will be at the Hotel Preston, as I would highly recommend this hotel to family, friends and yes, even foes, because everybody deserves agreat stay in a great hotel.

I am in no way, shape nor form affiliated in any way to the Hotel Preston, it's corporation or any of it's corporate entities.
I'm just a normal guy that appreciates a great hotel and it's staff, and with the Hotel Preston, you have that.

Room Tip: Don't sweat the small stuff, there are no problems so great that there isn't a solution.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

A colleague and I stayed here as it was close to the airport with a shuttle. I wanted to love it, and it was very charming, but there were just a few things that need to be addressed in the hotel.

First, the whole hotel smells like stale cigarette smoke, from the hallways to the elevators to the rooms.

Second, some of the furniture was battered and had water stains. Some pieces just need to be replaced.

Finally, the hair dryer is supposedly in a black bag hanging in the dark closet next to the bathroom. I only found this out when I was checking out the next morning. In fact, I had even looked in the closet but apparently didn't see it because it was dark. A note pointing the guest toward the hair dryer might be helpful.

The hotel is also next to the airport. While I didn't hear airplane noise at night, it was VERY loud in the morning when planes began to take off and land.

On a positive note, the bed was exceptionally comfortable and I enjoyed the whimsy of the decor and appointments. The bathroom in general was fantastic...sparkling clean, high-end faucets, and an amazing shower.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fayetteville, AR, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Hotel Preston is one of the funkiest ever seen! The public spaces are bright reds and pinks combined to a style that could be called "Brothel Nuevo". The room, though large and reasonably clean, was decorated in reds and blacks of poor quality. It seemed that nearly every aspect of this hotel shouts, "cheap, cheap!" especially the red leopard velour in the elevators. In spite of the cheap and tacky appearance of the Preston, the front desk staff provides good service, particularly David at check in.

Incredibly, Priceline rates the Preston 3.5 star. Perhaps that's on their scale for hourly hotels. Since the room lacked even a hair dryer, 1.5 star is more appropriate.

• Stayed November 2012
Hotel-Preston09, Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that our hotel was not what you expected. We do provide hair dryers in all our rooms. I am sorry that your room did not have one. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you will consider coming back to stay with us again.

Monique
Facilities Manager
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

An older hotel remodeled as a low cost W hotel vibe. Bed was comfortable, linens were clean, easy airport access, friendly staff. I would definitely stay there again. My only two complaints would be that I could easily hear my neighbors in the room next door. And the heater/air conditioner was one of those old under window units. It worked fine, but was really noisy....

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We left our car last weekend and stayed when we came in from our recent trip. Room was very large and clean. Bed was comfortable. Then it sounded as if someone was going to come thru the ceiling over and over. Lots of loud laughing finally called front desk since it was late of the noise and was told it was a university debate team that had a hard day and he was sorry and thy were monitoring them. Gee we had a hard day too guess not important to this person. I told him since I could hear them one floor down I did not think it would be too hard to correct the issue. Again I was told it was hard to monitor what happens inside the room.

We also went to the restaurant twice and both times no one to greet you, we just seated ourselves. Food was good and reasonable but don't expect a wait staff. They need to staff restaurant better.

They do have a 24 hour shuttle and we used it a couple of times and it was great.

Will think twice though before booking here again for sure, sleep is not overrated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel-Preston09, General Manager at Hotel Preston, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear DentonTraveler,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We hope everyone gets a good night of sleep while staying with us at the Hotel Preston. We will have to be better at monitoring noise complaints.

Thanks,
Steven Hoida

Been to Hotel Preston? Share your experiences!