“Pass on by.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #146 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
East Tennessee
“Pass on by.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is for the Family Inn off of Stewarts Ferry Rd off I40 in the Nashville area. Dirty, poorly maintained, in ill repair. Don't stay here. The water wouldn't adjust in the shower, which dripped all the time. Luckily it was on hot and not cold. Ice machine broken. No remote for TV in room. Looks like a lot of fulltime residents. It was late and I was getting desperate for a place to stay. Carpet was terrible and walls were stained. If I looked up transient hotel or crack hotel, this is what I would expect to see. The young lady at the front desk was very nice and nobody bothered us, which I didn't expect them to, but no amount of savings was worth staying there. Won't be staying there again. The door didn't even have a dead bolt type lock so I wedged a chair under it when we went to bed. Don't stay here unless you are homeless, as it is one step above being homeless.

Room Tip: Stay at the Lebanon exit a few miles east of this exit or pick another of the 3 or 4 hotels at this...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
familyinnnashville, Webmaster at Family Inns of America Nashville, responded to this review, September 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your comments. We’re involved in a continuous improvement process and are always working to make this hotel even better than ever before. I sincerely apologize to you that we didn’t completely meet your needs in this case, but I want you to know that we’ve improved and changed in many ways since your stay. I hope you’ll try us again soon to see that for yourself.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Memphis, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed in this hotel on 6/8/12, at first the A/C didn't work, the room smelled bad, no ice bucket, the soap was so small it took a magnifying glass to see it. The commode stopped up and never cleared, I opened the refreigerator and it smelled like fish and took 5 minutes to clear the smell. No ice bucket in the room, They have no internet or breakfast and charge more than the ones that do have both. The room was suppose to be no smoking but it certainly smelled. The best part of the whole thing was the afternoon and evening desk clerk was friendly and tried hard to correct the problem. The morning mgr could have cared less about any of it and I don't care if they do have several degrees decency is decency and the best thing that could happen to this hotel is to demolish it and start over if it is going to charge these prices.,It is a dump and hopefully I won't have to stay here again even out of desperation.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel is you want a good smelling room and a clean place to stay it is a dump...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

I’m very sorry that this experience wasn’t a pleasant one for you. Your comments have been very helpful to us in our continuous improvement process. We’re now much better than before, and it’s thanks to feedback like yours that we’re meeting guest needs better than ever. I hope you visit again soon to see for yourself how we’re improving.

Hermitage, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed 3 weeks in 3 different rooms at this place. 1st room air conditioner not working. 2nd room we got eaten up by bed bugs. 3rd room, even though Terminex inspected and found no bed bugs, we found two big enough to see and was told by manager, debra, that another room would be available and we could get bed bug covers for the mattress before getting the room. A week later we are told we can not stay because of our dog even though we were there 3 weeks and everyone in the ofc saw our dog and we were not told when we checked-in that there were dog restrictions. Bad communication, gm very rude and needs more training and to learn to speak better english.... have wittnesses that said they had bed bugs also...was told there were 3 exterminating co. working on it...we needed a place for 2 months but i guess our money wasn't good enough...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We must strongly reject any suggestion that was ever an insect problem at this hotel. We take great pride in this property and have recently made many changes and improvement, however. I apologize that you received bad service and didn’t enjoy the experience and can promise we are now a much nice place than ever before. I hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

My Fiancée and I arrived back from a trip and waiting to get into our new place. We rented a week but clearly stated that we would only be staying until the house was done. The manager, a young girl, stated that we would need to talk to the owner about the refund as they do not offer them. This was very strange as it is a common practice by all hotels to process payment on the nights stayed. We took the room as we were exhausted.
The room was in a word "gross"! The furniture was a mess and half of the lights did not work. The shower was so nasty that I had to clean it before we used it. We had to ask for towels and when I asked for an extra pillow I was told that I could not have one because people steal them all the time. The room next to us had an adjoining door that had newspaper shoved in the cracks. The window was duck taped and the bed was disgusting (we removed the top cover and used our travel blankets).
Around 1am we started hearing a baby crying next door. This lasted for over an hour. I went up to the office to complain and see if there was another room we could move to. I was told that there was a room and the end of the building like ours and checked it out. It was a smoking room and reeked of marijuana and was just as filthy. By the time I made it back to the room the crying had stopped and we just wanted sleep. The next day we asked about getting our money back and was told that they do not give refunds even for nights that had not been stayed yet. I said I wanted to speak to the owner and was told that he was not there but they would call him and let me know. The next night the crying started again and I had had enough and asked to be moved. The owner was there and moved us to a slightly better room but still gross. The following afternoon we checked out and I said that I wanted to remainder of the week put back on my card. The girl tells me that she cannot do that and doesn’t even know how. She tells me the owner states that he is going to mail us a check. We are still waiting.
STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!! A hangout for drugs, prostitutes and others. They should shut it down!!!

Room Tip: Bring your own sheets and Lysol. The rooms are gross
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I’m very sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. So many people are satisfied, and I apologize that you weren’t among them. We’re involved in a continuous improvement process and are now much better than at the time of your stay in many ways. I hope you will visit again and see how things are different.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

That place is nasty. We tried three different rooms because they refused to give me a refund. The first room the key wouldn't work I'm the door. So my son got impatient and pushed on the door opened, the beds weren't even made. Be to over protective I was nor staying in that room. The other room smelled of smoke and the ac didn't work. The next
room had a dirty towle in the floor so the manager offered to clean the room. She did. The only thing good I can say the people was nice.

• Stayed August 2011
tamarazz30, General Manager at Family Inns of America Nashville, responded to this review, August 27, 2011
Thank for letting everyone know that our staff is committed to great customer satisfaction. We work hard beyond the call of duty to ensure our customers are satisfied. We will not rest until all your concerns are resolved on the spot. Our customers know we are friendly , flexible and committed to their comfort
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

The place is being remodeled all the bad eggs gone. Cheapest rate on the block good value- large beds and amenities for a single bed rate. Highly recommended

Room Tip: The rooms are going fast so calll ahead
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

We need a place for a couple of days.until we got our home remoded. All we people running up and down stairs we paid for our dogs stay and that was a rip off. The manager had the never to walk up in our room while I was in the bed.talking about the dogs had to go.these people are liers, and money hungry people. It would have been bad if some changeing clothes. Bed bugs, old rundown furntiure, nasty carpet. We left with quickness.i would not advice anyone to stay at family inn.

• Stayed March 2011
Dear Guest,

Your unpleasant experience troubles me. While I can assure you there has never been an insect problem at this hotel, I want you to know that we have made many changes and improvements and are involved in a process of continuous improvement. I hope you will stay with us again to see how we’re better than ever before.

Hotel Manager

Been to Family Inns of America Nashville? Share your experiences!