“Better than I expected” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Memphis, Tennessee
“Better than I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was in Nashville for business but didn't want to bother with staying downtown, so I decided to stay here because of the reviews and recent remodel. I often use Tripadvisor and have learned to read between the lines with reviews. Honestly, I don't even look at the best/worst reviews. This hotel was very nice. The room was clean and comfortable. The bed was good, not great, but not bad. I would say the only actual negative was that the shower water pressure was a bit lacking. However, that seems to be a common issue in today's world. Got to conserve water and all that. Thanks for a good experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GWEN363, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Business Traveler and Valued Guest:

Thank you for your recent stay and for reviewing our hotel.

Prior to your visit we had installed new mattresses in 1/2 our newly remodeled hotel. We have the other half ordered and will be here in the next few weeks. We have received very positive feedback about the new ones and hope you will return to try them out some day.

Thanks again for the review, and hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The service was outstanding and the hotel looks great! New and Clean Rooms and close to the airport!! Anytime I'm in Nashville this is the hotel I will stayed at!! The front desk people are very helpful and the breakfast is outstanding!!
If you are staying close to the airport stay at this hotel, it's worth it!!

Room Tip: 3rd floor is towards the back side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GWEN363, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you so much for choosing our hotel for your stay in Nashville and for writing a review on our Comfort Suites Airport.

We look forward to seeing you again!
Raceland, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I recently surprised my wife with an anniversary trip to Nashville. (I had to send her to the spa the day before so I could pack her up and hide the suitcases in the attic without her knowing, but, what can I say?...Husband of the Year, I guess!) Anyway, the trip was meant to be half vacation from raising 3 kids and my wife working tirelessly on her Master's, and half scouting trip, as we're considering moving our family to Murfreesboro. After reading several Tripadvisor reviews of hotels in and around Nashville and Murfreesboro, I decided on this hotel. It had everything I was looking for: (primarily) Good price for the amenities, good location (near, but not in the middle of the craziness of downtown), cool updated vibe, and a very big tub.

Here's a run-down of different aspects of the hotel and room. For reference, we stayed in Rm 209 (first room on the right off the elevator):

Remodel -- Hotel was recently remodeled, which was pretty evident, given the property looked well-established, but the inside had an overly clean and updated feel to it. Personally, I might have gone for either much brighter, or much softer lighting in the hallways, and maybe more of a softer paint color on the walls in the hallways, but I didn't sleep in the hallway and the room didn't cost $300/night, so there are some things a person can very easily deal with. Black, Red, and White theme was pretty cool, and my wife really liked the "rock'n'roll" vibe that another Tripadvisor review alluded to.

Staff -- Many reviews have talked about the staff. They're probably right, but I tend to keep to myself at hotels, and don't necessarily WANT someone in my face all the time asking me how things are going and seeing if they can do anything extra for me. I plan my own activities, and make my own dinner reservations, so I rarely need to ask help of the staff. All I need is a fresh set of towels, my bed made, and a pleasant check-in and check-out experience, and I leave a happy customer. For me, staff was pleasantly invisible, room was clean, and breakfast was abundant. Good by me.

Room -- We stayed in a whirlpool suite, which had a couch, coffee table, desk, lamp, dresser, and TV in the first part of the room, then had the sink and bathroom dividing that part from the side of the room with the bed, another desk, another dresser, another TV, 2 night stands, and a closet. Closet had ironing board, and pretty self-explanatory iron. TVs both had HDMI inputs, which allowed us to hook up our laptop to watch Netflix and a Redbox movie (since HBO's evening schedule is pretty horrible). Neat little single-cup coffee maker was convenient and easy to use. Water in bathroom got as hot as you could stand (which my wife loved). We were also pleasantly surprised to see there was a separate shower in the bathroom, in addition to the jetted whirlpool tub. I had assumed all along that there would be, but there's no mention of one anywhere on the hotel website, in any reviews, or in any photos. At the risk of getting very personal, the whirlpool tub was more than large enough to fit two people, and we were able to angle the TV in the room with the couch so that we could leave the bathroom door open while relaxing in the tub and watching a movie, drinking champagne, and eating chocolates. (I highly recommend that romantic little relaxation choice.) Let's be honest, though...a tub like that is not meant for getting clean...that's what the shower's for. The shower was tucked into the corner of the relatively small (cozy) bathroom, and was probably not made to fit two people. I am 5'11", 190 lbs., and my wife is about 5'4", 130 lbs. We squeezed into the shower together (again, sorry if this is too much information, but it's information I would have appreciated reading before booking), and while we didn't have much wiggle room, we made it work, and the small space just made us cozy-up to each other a little more, which is why a married couple would shower together, anyway, so it worked out great in the end. Over to the bed, it was a little hit and miss with me. Before getting married, I was a "2 soft pillows and a mattress that sinks to the floor" kind of sleeper, which my wife was a "1 sturdy pillow and a concrete block to sleep on" kind of sleeper. I've gotten accustomed to the firm mattress we now sleep on, and now sleep and breathe better at night. When I first got in the bed at the hotel, I thought i was sleeping on a heavenly cloud compared to our firm mattress at home. My wife didn't care for it too much, but it's not really something you actively notice while sleeping, because, well, you're sleeping! It was something, though, that by the end of the 3rd day of our vacation we started to feel in our backs, not getting the support we needed. It wasn't anything that caused us undue hardship, or anything, just an incredibly minor irritation. If you're just staying 1-3 nights, it's fine. There were also plenty of electrical outlets all over the room to charge our phones, cameras, and my wife's Kindle, so that was nice. Also, there was a nice size mini-fridge that held several bottles of water, mini bottles of Dr. Pepper, and leftovers from 2 meals. There was also a microwave in the room we used to heat those leftovers to eat while watching a movie.

Breakfast -- 2 Waffle Irons with choice of cinnamon or regular batter. Waffles were delicious. There were also buffet trays daily, one with either scrambled eggs or omelettes, another with either bacon or sausage, and another with biscuits. Some people have raved about the breakfast, others have mercilessly condemned it. Here's how I summed it up to my wife: I would have been disappointed if I had paid $10 for that breakfast. For a breakfast included in the price of the room, it was a fine step above simple cereal choices (which they also had, by the way) or a few baked goods (which they also, also had in the form of bagels, muffins, and a few pastries). There was also coffee, oatmeal, apple juice, orange juice, a few fruit selections, butter, jelly, and syrup. All in all, Breakfast = Good.

Other aspects people have complained about:

Elevator - Yes it's hot. Obviously not connected to any part of the A/C system. If you sleep in the elevator, seek help immediately. If you are like the rest of us and only ride in the elevator for a maximum of 45 seconds, it's incredibly bearable.

Room Divider - Some have complained that the rooms are not well-divided. I say to those people, spend 3x as much at a larger hotel and stop complaining about this very well-valued one.

Pool - Don't know...we had a much more private tub to relax in.

Overcrowded Breakfast area - If you stay at hotels regularly, you'll agree that the breakfast area for this size and price hotel was fairly standard.

Airplane Noises from nearby Airport - First of all, the word "Airport" is in the name of the Hotel...that should be your first clue. Secondly, it was the 4th morning of our stay before we even noticed a single airplane sound. We were on the 2nd floor, and I'm assuming the people who have the most complaints would be on the top floor. I'm also assuming some people are just never happy.

As an overall rating, I'm going to go ahead and give this place a 5-dot (or whatever the Tripadvisor rating system is meant to symbolize) rating. My first instinct was to give the place a 4, because it was great, but wasn't the Gaylord Opryland. Since, though, I have three kids, the oldest in private school, and won't be able to afford to stay at the Gaylord Opryland anytime soon, I want to keep the Tripadvisor rating as high as I can. I was glad to let my wife know that we were staying at the (at the time) #15 rated hotel in Nashville out of nearly 150 places. It definitely deserves a higher rating because of the amenities and location you get for the price of the room. All in all, I feel I made the right choice for our particular needs, and we will likely stay here again when we bring the 3 boys up in a couple years to check out the area they will probably grow up in.

Room Tip: Room 209 was a solid room assignment with a whirlpool tub for 2, a separate shower, and little-to-no...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GWEN363, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Mr. Matherne:

You sure know how to write a review!

As the manager of Comfort Suites Airport I want to begin by thanking you for taking the time to extensively showcase your 4 nt, 5 day experience and thoughts.

We are glad you enjoyed your Anniversary and whirlpool suite stay, our service and accommodations.

We take great pride in providing guests with clean, comfortable rooms and great customer service - all at affordable prices.

As you mentioned, our breakfast area is standard size for a 94 suite hotel. That said, we do want to let folks know in an ongoing effort to meet and exceed expectations - we are about to add seating for another 14 people.

Thank you again. Hopefully we will see you and the whole family again in the very near future.
Maple Grove, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights during a recent trip to Nashville. The hotel is convenient to the Grand Ole Opry, to downtown, and to Fontenal. Our room was clean. We had two double beds and a sofa bed. Since we were relatively new to the city, we asked for advice and basic directions to places several times. We always found the staff very helpful and friendly. We were very impressed with every contact we had with Joe. Breakfast was the standard Comfort Inn fare, but what made this breakfast stand out was the cleanliness of the area, upkeep of the buffet, and the overall management of breakfast. A few more tables and chairs would have been nice (area was crowded), but that really wasn't a problem. After visiting several Comfort Suites around the country this summer, I can say that this location is top-notch.

• Stayed July 2013
GWEN363, General Manager at Comfort Suites Airport, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Cancun2234:
Thank you for choosing Comfort Suites Airport for your stay in Nashville, TN.

Thank you also for taking the time to review our hotel and for your compliments.

Our staff and management take great pride in offering guests the most for their money - from clean cleans - to helpful and courteous service. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and wanted to let you know we are about to add additional breakfast seating in the near future when we update to new tables and chairs in the dining area before the end of 2013.

We hope to see you again soon.
Goshen, KY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here for two nights because it was close to the airport---about five minutes away. Nice rooms were newly decorated with new furniture, carpet, granite sink counter tops, two flat screen TVs with one bedroom and another area with couch, coffee table, desk and TV. The two rooms have an opening between them with no door but it wasn't a problem for me to dress while son watched TV because of divider wall. Sink area is separate from toilet/tub area. Free breakfast each morning included protein choices each day (egg, ham one morning) and eggs and bacon on the second morning. Both days you could get muffins, gravy/biscuits, multiple cereal choices, yogurt, fresh fruit (apples, oranges), waffles made fresh with waffle maker, apple and orange juice, coffee. This is not a 5 star but for the money, it definitely rates four stars from me.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear Denise of Goshen, KY:

We appreciate your 4 star rating of Comfort Suites Airport.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest and to have the opportunity to provide you with a great breakfast, convenient location and spacious, newly remodeled 2 double bed suite with 2 42" tvs.

Thank you for taking time to let others and us know about your experience and we look forward to being able to serve you again.
Gray, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Nice hotel and clean. Only negative part was the bed. You could feel the springs from the bed move with you, and hear them!! Very uncomfortable bed. Stayed one night, wont go back just because of the bed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dave from Gray, TN:

Thank you for your recent stay at Comfort Suites Nashville Airport.

We appreciate you letting us know about the helpful service provided by the hotel staff and the clean and convenient accommodations encountered.

Great news - we are in the process of ordering new mattresses for all rooms with 2 double beds. Although most all king mattresses were replaced as part of the recent renovation - not all mattresses could be done at once. Before December 31 we will have new mattresses in all rooms and hope to get a second chance to prove we can be your home away from home when in Nashville!
TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for two nights in April, 2013. I had stayed there also in April of 2012, and the improvements made to the foyer and rooms during this time are very nice. The rooms now have a modern look with mostly new furnishings even though the hotel itself is not new. It was very clean and the staff were all very helpful. This hotel is in a great location on the east side of Nashville with easy access to the interstate without being too close. The breakfast was about average for a Comfort Suites. Good value overall.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Whodo:

Thank you for being a regular guest of our Comfort Suites Airport.

We are glad you enjoy our great location, clean rooms and helpful staff.

The employees and management of Comfort Suites are proud of the modern new look the owners have succeeded in providing our guests. We strive to be the best we can for all our guests in every way.

Hope to see you again in April 2014, or sooner if you have the chance.

Been to Comfort Suites Airport? Share your experiences!