“The Downhill Ride @ The Hilton Suites, Nashville” 1 of 5 stars

Hilton Nashville Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   121 4th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37201   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HHonors Weekend Save Now!
Ranked #22 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
the Hamptons, NY & Bucks County
“The Downhill Ride @ The Hilton Suites, Nashville”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel since it opened. It was great then and for the next several years. We stay for 7-8 days and have more than often eaten most meals in the hotel grille (formerly Eddie George's)
Times have changed. The last 2-3 years the hotel has lost its' glamor and sparkle, only this year they finally changed the chair and sofa bed in the suites. The staff is not as friendly, nor is the hotel guest friendly.The hotel gives nothing in the way of competitive perks or amenities. They charge twice the price for parking oversized vehicles in someone else's facility. There are no more complimentary breakfasts and what they offer has been scaled down this year to what you would expect from a lesser motel chain, but at a four star price.I was checked out of my room in mid-stay unbeknownst to me.
When I asked to have my room made up I was told it is vacant,that I ahd checked out. They then proceeded to treat me as a trespasser, sending security to verify my identity...it was me. The experience was not pleasant and there were no apologies forthcoming. Last year (or so) when a friends toilet didn't work they got free nights. The only nicety came from the second shift maid, she said I'm sorry we goofed. Well I could go on about the cost cutting, like the welcoming candy bowl has disappeared, the courtesy evening drink is long gone, the friendly hospitable atmosphere gone as well. The food is terrible(except the burgers) and the drinks are skimpy. Location is excellent, but there are better hotels just as close to the convention center offering more value for the dollar. Like free internet, free real breakfast, etc.
There should be fewer stars on this one.When conveying my thoughts to the general manager in an e-mail he answered by claiming all was right and wonderful and the feeling that I must be out of step. I am just a customer who has traveled all my life and do know the difference between what they should offer and what this hotel delivers. The management refuses to recognize the fact that most of the dealers who stayed here, no longer honor this hotel with their business. We are just the customer, our opinions do not count.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything since they changed..attitude
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
RayNashvilleTN, General Manager at Hilton Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, March 18, 2009
I responded to this author with a personal letter prior to the posting of his review on TripAdvisor.

We were designated a full-service Hilton property in 2004. Upon dropping the “Suites” from our name, we were required to cease our complimentary breakfast program.

I regret that the reviewer does not feel our hotel is as nice as it once was. We hear numerous compliments from our long-term, repeat guests regarding our continuous upgrades. In the past two years, we have spent millions of dollars on new flat screen televisions and upgraded bedding, linen and furniture for each of our guest suites. Additionally, we will begin a multi-million dollar lobby renovation in March 2009.

In our nine years of operation, we have gained many loyal guests who often remark on our great customer service, which is what keeps them coming back. I’m sorry he feels that he did not have the same experience.

The Hilton Nashville Downtown employs an award-winning culinary team, known for their menu creativity and use of only the freshest ingredients.

Our attached parking garage is managed by a third-party company. Their rates in Nashville are on par with the rates offered in other cities of the same size. In fact, the rates for the Hilton garage are lower than most other hotel garages in Nashville.

I appreciate the author’s letters and this review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Myrtle Beach, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

EXCELLENT HOTEL & EXCELLENT STAFF!!! My wife and I stayed here on 12/22 for our Honeymoon and enjoyed everything about this Hotel. We stayed in a King Suite and took advantage of the Romance Package. Mr Clark (Director of Rooms) was the best of the best. They do not get any better that this guy. We ate dinner at the Palms (Adjacent to the Hotel) EXCELLENT! We ate Breakfast in the Hotel Lobby EXCELLENT!!! It was 20 Degrees out and we went swimming in the indoor pool EXCELLENT!!! The only problem with the room itself was that wall paper was peeling in plain site that should have been corrected before we arrived. But overall the stay here was the best.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Wall Paper peeling in room
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

Hotel was overbooked. The manager provided us a complementary room at the Lowes (also a nice hotel). They provided us personal transportation to and from Downtown as well as brought us back the following day to check in at the Hilton. Beds are very nice.
Hotel was very clean four star all the way!!

• Liked — Rooms are suites quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2008

I stayed at the Hilton Nashville Downtown for three nights in October for a business trip. There were a lot of activities going on at the same time & the hotel was full, but service was still very good. The hotel lobby is spacious with a beautiful staircase. Behind the front desk, there is a business center with free services - fax, printer & two computers with internet access. Wi-Fi access in your rooms is @ $12 per day, so it's worth it to use the business center, unless you need the internet for long periods of time.

Rooms were clean with updated bathrooms & Crabtree & Evelyn products (shower cap, otion, shampoo, conditioner & mouthwash). Room service was efficient & arrived in less than 30 minutes, as promised. I am told that all of the rooms are suites. Mine (room 420) had a living room area with a pull out sofa, desk, chair & flat screen TV. The bathroom had a nice sized granite counter & the shower has the newer curved shower curtain rod that gives more space in the shower. The bedroom had a king bed, two night stands & a flat screen TV. The bedroom seemed a bit small, considering that this was a suite, but it was not cramped.

The windows in both rooms looked out on the Country Music Hall of Fame across fromt he hotel. Walls seemed to be well insulated because I hardly heard the people in adjacent rooms & the hotel was pretty full. The only complaint about noise was the lady in the lobby playing the saxaphone in the evenings. It was loud enough to sound like it was coming through speakers in my room.

The hotel is in an excellent location; I don't think you could find a better one. It is across the street from the Country Music Hall of Fame and in walking distance to the football stadium, as well as the hockey arena. There are also many restaurants & bars within a few blocks. I didn't have an opportunity to do any sight seeing on this trip, but would definitely stay here again if I return to Nashville for pleasure.

• Liked — Location, location, location!
  • Disliked — Bedroom was small in the suite
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

From the time we drove up to the time we left --all went perfect. Valet parking & baggage taken care of immediatly, check-in smooth. Suite was cozy, and extremely clean, no smells, with nice view of downtown (Rm 216). Everything looked new. Booked for a concert at Ryman Opry, one-block away. I have to say, I have stayed at alot of hotels, but this was the best. Breakfast good, a bit pricey, but nicely served with homemade omelets.

Only negative was a call early after had coffee delivered to see how service was, but really was a reminder to put tray outside door. Sort of interfers with relaxing time, but caller was very friendly. Interesting place to hang out and people watch. Great places to walk and visit nearby. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Location, clean rooms, friendlly staff, atmosphere
  • Disliked — Morning call to see how our room service was
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

OK, so it's a Hilton - that means nothing special and out of the ordinary, right?
Well sort of, yes, but it also means the service is pretty good, the rooms are comfy and clean, the facilities are good and it's probably in a pretty good location.

All of these are true of the Downtown Hilton in Nashville - great, friendly service and all the facilities you expect.
The room (they're all suites) was certainly comfortable enough, but the decor was old fashioned and a complete lack of natural light (the rooms look over the atrium in a slightly odd block of flast kind of way) was a bit depressing. But, the 'country' button on the radio made up for somewhat and and, to be honest, anyone who comes to Nashville to stay in their hotel room for much other than sleeping has come to the wrong place. Get a shower, get dressed and get out to a bar to hear some country music.

And that's what makes the Downtown Hilton great - right next to Broadway and the most concentrated patch of outstanding country music on the planet. Bars, restaurant's, clubs, shops are all 30 seconds walk away. And that's pretty cool.

If you're in the middle of Nashville, this is the place to be staying. Don't expect boutique vibe, don't expect the funkiest room you've ever stayed in. But do expect decent Hilton service, a good bar (the Sports Bar, not the lobby bar!) and the best location in Nashville.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The lack of daylight in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

I don't see how anyone could not give this hotel a 5 rating! My husband had a business trip and me and my baby girl tagged along. The hotel is wonderfully clean and very customer service oriented. The staff is super friendly and the valet team was wonderful.

The housekeeping staff speaks English well enough to actually communicate with you, which is more than I can say for any other hotel I've ever stayed at.

The bed had luxury linens, with a down comforter, and was heavenly to sleep in.

They only had double beds available when we booked the room but we requested a King and they were able to honor that request. I was impressed. The lobby is beautiful with a definite "wow" factor to it.
Its more of a business hotel but I liked that because it was QUIET!

The only negative thing I could say is that they kind of stick it to you on the incidental charges. Parking is $20/day, they charge for wi-fi, and there is no breakfast provided. But what do you expect? Its the Hilton, not the Holiday Inn!

Overall, I was impressed and would stay here again and recommend it to my family and friends.

• Liked — The room seperate from the living area
  • Disliked — All the extra charges for incidentals that are normally included at other hotels
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Nashville Downtown? Share your experiences!