“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Hilton Nashville Downtown
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   121 4th Ave S, Nashville, TN 37201   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
HHonors Weekend Save Now!
Ranked #27 of 150 Hotels in Nashville
Flowery Branch, Georgia, United States
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Of all the Hilton Hotels i've stayed in, this was by far the most disappointing. Usually no matter where you stay your likely to have a couple things that dont go the way you like. Well this time there were more that didnt than did. It started right after check in which was smooth and cordial. No wait, lots of teeth and smiles etc.....But, when we got to the room, the bell hop tried to let us in our room and the keys refused to work. So after several tries, off he goes to get the problem fixed. We waited patiently untill he got back and wala, the key works. He apologises etc, we tip and thank him and he's off. We unpacked and read a couple of the adverts in the room as to what was close by. The location is actually great! Only a block or so off Broadway where you can eat, drink and listen to the bands at the Honkey Tonks. Really great stuff! So, we head out and grab a bite and a few beers here and there, just kind of getting the feel of the area. After about two hours we head back to the room to rest and freashen up for the nights festivities. Well, when we tried our key, again it wouldnt work. Tried the second key and no go. So, I go back down to the lobby, and after waiting in line about 15 minutes explain the situation to the desk clerk. For some reason they found it hard to believe. I had to explain it to the manager again and they did the check on the credit card and said that was the problem. It didnt go through, would I like to try another one? I then explained that we didnt use a card, that we had paid cash. After showing a photo ID they made two more keys, apologised and said they would have security meet me at my door to make sure the keys worked. When I got to the room, they didnt work yet again. So, figuring security should be here any minute, we waited. And waited..... no security. Tired of going up and down the elevator and explaining the situation several times I called the 800 number. Went through the senario yet again on the phone. They said they would have a person at the door in 5 minutes. 10 minutes later I'm fuming so my girlfriend says she'll go down to the lobby. Soon as she leaves, my cell rings and it the desk asking what my problem was???? So, they send "engineering" to fix the problem. They got there quick and explained to me that I was using the keys wrong. Showed me how to use them properly, and they didnt work. Turned out they only work about one out of twenty tries. You gotta hold your tongue right. Anyway, we got in and went out again a hour or so later. After a good night of Honkey Tonkin we headed back to our room wondering if we should just stop at the desk on the way in and ask them to open our door. Naaa, we can do this! We did too, after about 15 minutes of trying the door miraciously clicked and we were allowed entrance! The room was nice and spacious. The bed was comfortable. We were a little concerned when we first got to our room about noise because or neighbors had a yappy dog that was threatening to claw its way through their door to eat us alive as we waited to gain entrance to our room. But we were surprised, it was very quiet. Even street noise was mininal. We slept well and awakened refreshed. Thats when the power went out. We thought it was the sleep timer that turned the TV off at first. Then after checking lamps etc we figured the powers off. Did they turn us off because our card didnt work??? Hummm.... Then after about 20 minutes as we pondered a cold shower in the dark, this horrendous buzzer/alarm starts squaking! Several revolutions later the voice announces that the power is out and that they are working on the problem and will let us know when they get it fixed. About 30 minutes later the lamp came on so we jumped up and showered, packed and checked out! I think I might give them another chance as I dont believe that the chances are very likely to have so much negative crap happen twice in a row. But my overall rating of Hilton is on the decline due to the little things. I've come to expect certain things when paying higher prices. I expect a newspaper at the door in the morning. I expect a continental breakfast in the morning. I dont expect to have to pay 11.95 per day for internet access. We are Gold level members but you have to be like double diamonds with a platnum chaser or something to get it for free. Also, 28.00 a night to park is a bit pricey and everybodys got their hand out at every turn too. I'd rather stay at an Embassy Suites. The rooms are just as nice, they give you free internet, they have that great managers happy hour every night where you drink for free for a couple hours, a newspaper and breakfast! Maybe I wont give them another shot after all.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rwvw415, General Manager at Hilton Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Mike M,

We sincerely apologize for your less than stellar experience with us. I assure you that your challenges were extremely unusual. The power outage was not exclusive to the hotel. Over 800 Nashville Electric Service customers, including 100+ downtown businesses, experienced an interruption in service that morning. The alarms you heard were due to our emergency generators kicking in. Although the outage was beyond our control, we regret that our guests were affected. We are undergoing a renovation this year that includes the integration of a new lock system. We expect this new technology to eliminate key problems that hotels often encounter. I realize this does not change your past experience, but it is something we are addressing. I have also spoken to our front desk / security team about the importance of a timely response. Mike, we do appreciate your comments and hope for the opportunity to show you a better level of service. If your travel plans bring you back to Nashville, please contact me in advance so we can discuss ways to better serve you.

Ray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Gibsonton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a convention over Easter weekend. This hotel went above and beyond our expectations of a hotel. THEY ARE PET FRIENDLY. We had both our dogs and cat on this trip. all were welcome. the hotel is in walking distances to everything downtown or a horse carrage ride away. The room we had was a sutie and we had more than enough room for the 3 of us and the pets. Just like being at home with a sitting area when friends and family came up to the room. the rooms are very quite you do not hear whats going on out side or he person next door. Not even the dogs next door do you hear. I will stay here again on our next trip up there. One of the best Hiltons I stayed at all over the world. The Staff was excellant too. The bellman were great carring our things to the room (2 carts). everyone was great with the animals too. Roomservice was fast and great food. We had cookies and milk upon arrival waiting in our room. Very nice after a long road trip up there. I can't say anything bad about this hotel at all. One of the Best.

Room Tip: Make sure you try the pulled pork sandwich on room service. We were even on the side with the main s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the downtown Hilton for 5 nights in March. First of all, as others have posted, the location is fabulous. We walked everywhere. Also, I think this was the quietest hotel we have ever stayed in. We felt like the only guests there. Everyone was friendly and helpful from the concierge, to the valet, to the wait staff in the restaurant. I highly recommend Nashville, and I highly recommend the Hilton.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bedford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

nice location! was there on family vacation. was dissappointed that there was no pool and interenet cost 11.95 per day! breakfast very pricey. ive stayed at hotels that are much cheaper, clean rooms, continental breakfast, and free wireless internet. the room was nice and clean. but i would stay elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: the room we stayed in was great. king suite with pull out sofa.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We've been here for two days and the best thing about the hotel is the location, everything else is pretty mediocre. If you are looking for something that is high end or the 'old' Hilton name...look somewhere else.

If you do stay, the rooms are pretty nice bit very small with significant wear. The beds are comfortable and the windows are nice and bright.

The restaurant that serves the in-room dining is 'horrendous'...the food is terrible and service on the phone was terrible. I spoke to 3 people who could barely understand or speak English and when the did, it was with rude attitude.

Good location, not a great hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
rwvw415, General Manager at Hilton Nashville Downtown, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear n00n807,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and the room’s bedding. We are undergoing a renovation later this year and I think you will be impressed with our updated décor and amenities. I regret that your experience with room service was not as enjoyable. I have passed your comments onto our Food and Beverage Director and he has assured me that he will address them with our room service staff.

Ray
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Hilton for one night. As Hilton gold we recivied an upgrade to a king suit in the 6th floor ( windows facing the hall of fame). The room was wonderful (although a bit "signs of age" here and there). The bed was real comfy and the sheets were beautiful. Also the bathroom product were great. In the afternoon till evening there was music from the lobby, heard in the room - we actually liked it. The Lobby and atrium is nothing but amazing!
When booking a room be aware that some of the rooms face inward to the lobby and while walking in the corridor you can see right through them.
We had the continental breakfast, which means: pasteries, chees, cold cuts, fresh fruit (great!) yogurt (you get the picture - no eggs) and fresh O.J and good coffe.
The hotel is realy near Broadway and 2nd st were there are a lot places to eat bar food and to hear live music. Walking distance to state Capitol.
When leaving At noon the valet parking was realy crowded and hectic.
Overall we realy enjoyed our stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Walking distance to Country Music Hall of Fame, Ryman Auditorium and of course lower Broadway and the "honky tonks". Full service hotel so if you want something you can get it. Breakfast was spendy and the service was slow. Sports bar was great and the food was above average.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Nashville Downtown? Share your experiences!