“Lovely hotel, but disappointing post-stay customer service” 2 of 5 stars

4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1808 West End, Nashville, TN 37203   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #9 of 150 Hotels in Nashville
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, but disappointing post-stay customer service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at the Hutton Hotel for a couple of nights and really enjoyed it. The room was stylish and comfortable and the hotel pretty well located within 20mins walk of Broadway / Country Music Hall of Fame etc.. The atmosphere was relaxed and the staff were really friendly. Some silly people in the room next-door kept us awake very late one night with a party, but security came straight away to quieten them down. Sadly, my complaint is that I was really let down by customer service *after* our stay.

Sorry, this is necessarily long-winded...

As I was in the lobby checking out of the Hutton, I noticed my iPhone was missing. I went back to the room and it wasn't there. Then I worked out that I had most likely lost it in the hotel's 1808 Grille the previous night - I used it there and hadn't left the building since. We left contact details with staff at the front desk and Grille, but unfortunately we had to leave quickly as we had to catch a plane back to the UK. So a couple of days later, I used the Hutton's web form (as no direct email address was available) to ask if the staff at the 1808 Grille would mind checking for my iPhone around the couches where we sat on the last night of our stay. I received no reply, so 2 days later I wrote a private message to the Hutton's Facebook site. I got a nice reply from an executive assistant, who said she would contact the bar staff and let me know the outcome. I had to write 2 further times - 2 days later, and after 6 days - before I got a further reply. The same executive assistant wrote to say she had already written to ask me to use email instead of Facebook. However, I could find no email address for the assistant, nor for the hotel (which had led me to Facebook in the first place). I quickly responded to explain this, and included my own email address so they could contact me directly to solve things. Understandably, I wanted to avoid making a lengthy transatlantic phonecall. The next day, having had no further reply, I wrote again on Facebook (only option!) one last time - I have not had a reply. I have since bought myself a new iPhone at considerable cost.

Of course I accept that I can't have a hotel full of staff running round looking for my phone when I was the one who had been careless in losing it. However, we all sometimes have a bit of bad luck, and given that I was confident the phone was still in the building I would have really appreciated a better level of customer care following the loss of my property. A simple 'sorry, we looked and couldn't find your phone' would have been fine. Based on this experience, I won't be recommending the hotel to anyone, and I certainly won't be returning. Customer service doesn't end the minute a guest walks out the front door, if the hotel hopes for return visits and good reviews on sites like this.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Just returned from a trip to Nashville and loved our stay at the Hutton. The location of the hotel is convenient to downtown, shopping areas, as well as both Universities. Make sure to take advantage of the hotel's house car that will drop you off anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the hotel and pick you up. Rooms have a modern luxury feel that doesn't disappoint. The bathrooms are very nicely done in marble and clear glass. Our room did not have a bathtub, just a big shower so make sure you ask if you're in need of a bathtub.
There is also a wine reception every evening in the lobby from 5-6pm where they offer free wine. Overall, our stay was fabulous and would stay at the Hutton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Was in Nashville recently and stayed at the Hutton Hotel. Suite was first class with 2 tv's and large area room to work. Bedroom very nice, and bathroom (2 sinks) was very nice and Shower is best I have ever seen with electronic controls and shower head above on ceiling was awesome. Good workout facility but could use more space and more treadmills, only 2 for all the guests. Centrally located and great bar and dinning room. The Staff was very helpful and pleasant. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in the rooms above the 10th floor for good view of the city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband & I wed on the night before Christmas eve so we can never get away to celebrate our anniversary due to Holiday plains each year. So I decided on our 10 year anniversary we would try a "Staycation" @ the Hutton being that we could not get away. WHAT A BLAST WE HAD! Loved every moment & this fine boutique hotel. From the moment we checked in!
MS. Laura Cunningham our concierge was so helpful & booked us a reservations @ the restaurant "Midtown Cafe" that night & it to was delightful. The Hutton Hotel made our anniversary a memorable one & we can't wait to come back even though we live in Nashville!

Room Tip: "Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at Hutton Hotel for a business trip. I travel to Nashville often for business and as a result I have had lots of opportunity to stay in area hotels. I have found this to be the most comfortable hotel I have stayed in while in Nashville. I love the decor found in the lobby and the rooms have an art deco feel as well. The staff is incredible and the restaurant has great food--not what you expect in a hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel was nice but in my opinion a bit pricey. The rooms were a little small but nicely decorated. They have coffee bars on every level that are a nice perk. The bathrooms were spacious and nicely done but they had no tub - according to the desk there were only two rooms in the hotel with tubs. Also they have a complimentary car that you can take anywhere within a 3 mile radius which may help with parking bit bu the time you tip have spent as much as a cab. Restaurant on site was delicious as well. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Front Desk Staff - good. Colby was excellent. It seemed like others at the front desk (who were very nice), had much less experience.

Rooms - Two bedroom suite was a MAJOR disappointment. Basically, it's 2 regularl rooms with a very small living area that does not lend itself to entertaining.

HVAC - although you can set the thermostat to your desired temperature, at 67 degrees its warm during the night and at 66 degrees, it's cold and the air blows directly on the bed no matter how many times I adjusted the direction of the vents.

Bathrooms - basically nice, but the shower in the master bedroom of the 2 bedroom suite has a poorly thought out stone corner that sticks out and puts you in jeoparday of injuring yourself while showering.

Housekeeping - Inconsistent. Turndown service only 1 of the 3 nights we stayed there. One day, they didn't make up one of the rooms even though we had adjoining rooms and the door between then was wide open. One day I came back to my room to find my personal dirty laundry (which was left loosely folded on the desk), refolded and stacked on my bed. That was a new one on me, (and I'm a seasoned traveler.) Skittles were on the floor in one of our rooms (near the bed) from the previous guest. That's sorta gross. Dirty wine glasses were never removed from the room from our first night. The paper wrapper from the bar of hotel soap (from the previous guest) was found on the floor in the shower upon arrival.

Location was good. I'd check out other hotels before clamoring to stay at the Hutton again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hutton Hotel? Share your experiences!