“great hotel in nashville” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hermitage Hotel

You added Hermitage Hotel to your Saves list
Hermitage Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   231 Sixth Ave N, Nashville, TN 37219 (Downtown Nashville)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Baltimore, Maryland
“great hotel in nashville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

This is a beautiful hotel and we really enjoyed staying here. Nice room with comfortable beds and a great bathroom with a fantastic shower! I would recommend this without hesitation. Very nice staff. The TV did not have pay-per-view movies like many hotels have, however there was a DVD player so we went to Blockbuster nearby and rented movies.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

From the moment we arrived at The Hermitage, reality far exceeded our expectations. This historic property has an exquisite lobby with a breathtaking stained glass ceiling. From the valet to the front desk manager to the bellman , we were greeted with gracious, helpful and welcoming hospitality. Our incredibly spacious room was beautifully decorated and had an amazing view of the capitol building. The oversized bathroom was marble with a seperate shower, deep bathtub, 2 sinks and a closed off toilet area. The room was kept immaculate by the invisible housekeeping staff who we never saw in the 4 days we were at the hotel but their presence was certainly appreciated. The turn down service in the evening included fresh robes, bottled water and special non- chocolate delights which were so appreciated since I am allergic to chocolate. Every electronic amenity including wireless internet, cable tv, and a dvd player were in the room as was a mini bar/refrigerator.The newspaper of our choice was delivered to our door every morning. Downstairs, right outside the elevators there was complimentary coffee/tea and muffins every morning and in the same spot at teatime, there would be fresh lemonade, sparkling cider and fresh cookies. The 2 on site restaurants are the Capitol Grill and The Oak Bar. I had an informal lunch in the Oak Bar which was delicious. On the 4th of July, when all the downtown restaurants were overcrowded with people, we enjoyed an wonderful dinner in the elegant Capitol Grill.
It was very easy to walk to the local restaurants and tourist bars/attractions that are located in the downtown area from The Hermitage. There is a totally adequate gym on the premises, as well as a full service spa. As a critical New Yorker, I can honestly say that I have nothing negative to say about this hotel and I would return in a heartbeat. The Hermitage was truly a treasure to discover.

• Liked — The oversized beautiful room which was a calming retreat from the busy city.
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2007

My husband and I stayed 3 nights ending December 31. The hotel was decorated beautifully for the holidays. The room was very clean. All staff (valet, bellhop, front desk, restaurant, gift shop, bar) were extremely polite and helpful. We loved the fitness room. The view from the treadmills is great. The only complaint we had is that were charged an additional $9.00 on our credit card. We didn't know what the charge was when our statement arrived so we called the hotel. They told us $9.00 worth of food/snacks had been taken from our room the day we checked out. We told the hotel that we had not consumed any of the in-room snacks during our stay. We told them we wouldn't spend over $1100.00 for 3 nights and then try to rip them off for $9.00. They told us no problem and credited the charge. We received a call later that an employee had removed the items from the room and said that the guests (us) had drank/eaten them. Hope they got rid of the employee responsible.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — None of the staff could tell us much about the hotel's history, no books in gift shop
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2007

Stayed here during the CMA Music Festival and had high expectations. The hotel lobby is beautiful and very english in its styling. The superior room we had was very spacious and the bathroom was superb with king size bath and separate shower cubicle.

Had a very pleasant Sunday bruch at the Capital Grill which included unlimited top-ups for Bucks Fizz which hit the spot perfectly.

Overall, whilst a very nice hotel it seemed to slightly lack the wow factor although difficult to pinpoint exactly why. The hotel bar was dark and gloomy and the morning tea /coffee was often cold. Maybe we were expecting too much and possibly our expectations were increased by the high charges during CMA.

We would consider staying there next time although might try the Hilton next time.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

We decided to stay one night in order to attend a theatre performance. Very good reception, excellent room with a nice view of the Capitol. A spacious bathroom with a really large bath - very rare indeed these days.
Pre theatre dinner at the Capitol Grill was of a high standard and the staff knew (without us mentioning it) that we wished to finish dinner by 7pm. Only negative factors were the rather jarring piped music and other diners who did not respect the dress code.
Early morning coffee was promply served when ordered and well presented. A very smooth check out with efficient valet parking

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Louisville, Ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

Wow!! I am so happy to report nothing but wonderful things from Hermitage Hotel. I booked this hotel a year in advance for fan fair 2007 and from the moment we arrived which was in pouring rain they catered to our every need. As we checked in they had complimentary Champagne, water, coffee, muffins in morning. What impressed me the most was when we went to go out for lunch it was still lightly raining and as we walked out the main doors the door man handed us his umbrella and then ran to our room and got a second umbrella. How nice is that! Everyone is so nice in Nashville. Our last night we were so tired from walking we just wanted pizza so they brought us coupons for pizza places to order for us! What a savings! Only sticker shock was valet parking 21.00 plus tax and room was $299.00 tax was about 48.00 My bill was $775.00 for two nights because I had 4 cars total with different friends coming by. Overall I am still voting this #1

• Liked — microfiber bath robes ,slippers, comfortable bed!
  • Disliked — high valet parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Memphis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

Having recently stayed at several boutique hotels, the Hermitage provided service superior to my recent experiences.

Service: The front desk clerk was neither disingenuously fawning nor maddeningly cool and aloof, but she was so intent on finishing her spiel about the hotel's amenities that she did not stop to acknowledge my question to her and I had to repeat myself after she finished. The TV reception was poor, and maintenance came quickly and made the necessary repairs, albeit after 2 trips. The bartender in the Pub was efficient but not particularly friendly. Turndown service was impeccable, with replenished toiletries and new music playing in the CD player (supplementing the CD already in the room). When I called down from the fitness center, guest services looked up jazz radio stations on the internet, and even called back up to the fitness center when she found another station using a different website.
Unfortunately, the hotel, after I checked out with confirmed billing, billed me the same rate (i.e. double billed) and then only credited the bill minus $4, effectively billing me $4 for what I did not know. When I filled out the internet survey and complained the hotel called and said the charge was for the mini-bar. I advised hotel accounting that I never used the mini-bar and that I was irritated that they would bill me those charges after I had early check out with a confirmed invoice. The assistant guest services manager called and left a message on my office phone to ensure that my complaint was addressed. I called her back and left a message. No return call. Called again. Front desk acknowleged that they had given the message that I returned her call. Now, more than a week later, manager has still not returned my 2 calls.

Amenities: The fitness center was small but well equipped with treadmills, eliptical trainer and a bike. Also had weight machines and free weights. Beautiful view of the legislative plaza from the huge arched windows in the fitness center. It was a nice touch that the refrigerator in the alcove outside the fitness center was stocked with bottled water with glasses and sliced lemons and limes.

Rooms: The rooms are cavernous by boutique hotel standards. The bathroom was very large with double sink, a stand up shower, whirlpool tub, and separate toilet. The bed was very comfortable. The chairs were uncomfortable and did not have ottomans. I had to use the desk chair for an ottoman. Lastly, it was very strange that the room had no coffee maker. I called down about 9 PM looking for a local coffee/tea shop, and was advised that every coffee place downtown had closed at 6 or 7. Of course the hotel said I could come to the restaurant or Pub, but I did not want to go for just coffee or tea.

Food: Had a wonderful burger (purported the best burger in Nashville) at the Pub. Bar was out of a local beer, which was disappointing. Nice flat panel large screen TV so I did get to watch MLB.

Closing note: The lobby is grand but not my cup of tea architecturally. A lot of wasted space with sitting areas strewn around with no focal point (like a bar or putting the front desk in the middle of the room). The Pub and restaurant are downstairs in a cramped lower level. In my opinion the lobby is not welcoming but more like the ticket counter at the airport.

• Liked — bed and bath
  • Disliked — No real "wow" factor in huge lobby; cramped restaurant level
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hermitage Hotel? Share your experiences!