“Once is enough for me.” 3 of 5 stars

Visit like an insider
Top Rated
$65*
and up
Historic Tennessee - Southern Plantations and...
Ranked #11 of 260 things to do in Nashville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Arts and crafts, Leisure education
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson, is one of the largest and most visited presidential homes in the United States. Today, The Hermitage is a 1,120-acre National Historic Landmark with over 30 historic buildings,that welcomes some 180,000 annual visitors, including 30,000 schoolchildren, from all 50 states and many foreign countries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Tennessee, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Once is enough for me.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I was surprised how plain a presidents home of that era appears to me today when I know it was a grand place for it's time. This wasn't my cup of tea.

Arthur, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
“Beautiful restoration of an historical site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Ladies' Hermitage Association has developed this historic home and grounds since 1889 and they have done an excellent job. I came on the "Battle of New Orleans" Day which is Jan. 8 and the admission was free. The mansion is absolutely beautiful and the grounds are very well kept and the signage provides an excellent self-guided tour. A highlight of the day was meeting Andrew and Rachel Jackson as they strolled the grounds!
The only problem I encountered was the very large crowd that day made the tour through the mansion a little rushed. There was a wreath laying ceremony at the Jacksons' tomb which was very well done with the National Anthem sung by an active military woman and taps played by a Vietnam veteran. Author Jon Meacham, writer of Andrew Jackson, American Lion and the new Thomas Jefferson biography spoke at the ceremony. The orientation film in the Visitor Center was good also. The museum had lots of authentic pieces and the store had a wide variety of items. They were out of the Hermitage Guidebook, and I ordered it from their website after I got home. It contains really nice photos and a brief history of Jackson, his family and The Hermitage.

Visited January 2013
Atlanta
8 attraction reviews
“Entertaining & Educational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Loved our visit to The Hermitage. Learned a lot and had fun. Spring for the horse drawn carriage ride that takes you out to what were the plantation grounds.

Visited November 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
9 attraction reviews
“The Hermitage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Every city I visit, I try to tour an old home. Lucky me!! The Hermitage was only 20 minutes from our downtown hotel. The tour starts in the museum and is self guided with a headset. I wish I'd spent more time in there, but we were on a schedule. I was equipped with a map of the grounds with numbered points that corresponded with numbered files to listen to on the headset. That was perfect. The house was amazing, the tour inside was great. The garden was mostly cleared since it was fall but I can only imagine how beautiful it is in the spring and summer. Since we ran out of time, I didn't get to see the rest of the grounds. Will I go again? Yes!

Visited November 2012
Fairport, New York
24 attraction reviews
“Must See in Nashville area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed The Hermitage. There is interesting movie about Jackson and his rise from military career to President. The audio headsets, included with price of tour, were a nice amenity. I find it more relaxing, sometimes, to listen to narrative than read the extensive signage. I particularly enjoyed the audio bits about Andrew's wife Rachel. The tour of the house itself was done by guides. There are extensive grounds and a garden to explore, which would have been better on a less rainy day than what we experienced. There is an informative little museum in the Visitor Center. Highly recommend.

Visited January 2013