“Entertaining & Educational” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$62*
and up
Historic Tennessee - Southern Plantations and...
Ranked #11 of 96 Attractions in Nashville
Type: Historic Sites, Museums, History Museums, Landmarks
Activities: Arts and crafts, Leisure education
More attraction details
Owner description: The Hermitage, Home of President Andrew Jackson, is one of the largest and most visited presidential homes in the United States. Today, The Hermitage is a 1,120-acre National Historic Landmark with over 30 historic buildings,that welcomes some 180,000 annual visitors, including 30,000 schoolchildren, from all 50 states and many foreign countries.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Atlanta
8 attraction reviews
“Entertaining & Educational”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Loved our visit to The Hermitage. Learned a lot and had fun. Spring for the horse drawn carriage ride that takes you out to what were the plantation grounds.

Visited November 2012

Little Rock, Arkansas
7 attraction reviews
“The Hermitage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Every city I visit, I try to tour an old home. Lucky me!! The Hermitage was only 20 minutes from our downtown hotel. The tour starts in the museum and is self guided with a headset. I wish I'd spent more time in there, but we were on a schedule. I was equipped with a map of the grounds with numbered points that corresponded with numbered files to listen to on the headset. That was perfect. The house was amazing, the tour inside was great. The garden was mostly cleared since it was fall but I can only imagine how beautiful it is in the spring and summer. Since we ran out of time, I didn't get to see the rest of the grounds. Will I go again? Yes!

Visited November 2012
Fairport, New York
24 attraction reviews
“Must See in Nashville area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed The Hermitage. There is interesting movie about Jackson and his rise from military career to President. The audio headsets, included with price of tour, were a nice amenity. I find it more relaxing, sometimes, to listen to narrative than read the extensive signage. I particularly enjoyed the audio bits about Andrew's wife Rachel. The tour of the house itself was done by guides. There are extensive grounds and a garden to explore, which would have been better on a less rainy day than what we experienced. There is an informative little museum in the Visitor Center. Highly recommend.

Visited January 2013
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
“Beautiful and historis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This place is full of history and it amazes me that the staff of the Hermitage have kept the place in such great shape. The thing I love the most about the plantation is it offers a self guided tour with audio (optional). They also have a carriage ride (for an additional cost) that takes out out back and shows you where the slaves used to reside. Though the homes are no longer standing, you can see the foundation. Pretty sobering! The exhibits are incredible and they almost make you feel like you've stepped back in time.

Visited June 2012
Deerfield, IL
13 attraction reviews
“A real sense of History”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was a gorgeous place, I especially liked the old hand-painted wallpapers which were very unusual. I would have liked to see more done with the grounds and with information and interpretation on the extensive grounds.

Visited December 2012