“Was Surprised How Much I Liked this Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1901 West End Avenue, Nashville, TN 37203   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #52 of 150 Hotels in Nashville
San Francisco, California
“Was Surprised How Much I Liked this Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

When I got there, I was a little uncertain abut my choice walking in since it seems just slightly on the funky side for a Courtyard. But I ended up really liking it. Very welcoming at reception. Rooms were comfortable, location was good since it was near my conference and Vanderbilt , staff was fantastic (I think Lisa was the person who really stood out), and they provided shuttle service around town. Nice little restaurant sort of thing downstairs. I was afraid noise would be an issue since I a sensitive to it, but not a problem at all. If I was visiting Nashville in order to see the music, I probably would have chosen to stay closer to downtown, but this place was a great choice if you need to be in the West End area. Would be happy to come back if my plans called for it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Clearwater, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Stayed 5 nights during the 2014 CMA Musicfest. Our first positive experience was with Lisa as a lobby ambassador over the phone. I called to ask for a "quiet" room and to inquire about airport transportation. I had a pleasant conversation with her and she assured me that she knew just where to put us. We checked in with Gary, and while I wasn't sure about not having a balcony, he guaranteed me that I would be happy with my room and he was certainly right. Excellent diplomacy. Checkout was with Michael, who went out of his way to correct a billing error, schedule our taxi, and also store our luggage for a few hours. Three cheers to these front door personnel!!

Although the hotel is close enough to downtown to walk, we mostly took the shuttle back and forth and had great personalized, reliable service (along with some rousing entertainment) especially from shuttle drivers, Bobby and Bubba (James).

Then there was housekeeping and maintenance. I left a note, asking for a couple of extra coffee packets each day and whenever Mary was our housekeeper, she made sure that we were taken care of. On a day when she wasn't there, my husband left the room in search of more coffee and ran into a maintenance worker, Calvin, who dropped what he was doing, went down and got coffee for us and brought it up himself! What service!

While these were the people that stood out for us during our visit, all of the hotel staff was pleasant and personable. Management here must be doing something right to have that many people so on board with customer service. Kudos!!!

Zero complaints about the room, the cleanliness, the elevator, the WiFi or anything else. Would definately recommend and would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: If you're after quiet - high floor, inside room, Tower 2. There's a bit of street noise, bu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the hotel. The hotel was conveniently located relative to the Vanderbilt Campus. However our most memorable experience was the helpfulness of the front desk. When we needed a battery, Lisa at the desk went out of her way to find one for us. When we needed scissors to wrap a present she was there for us again. We are pleased to offer our enthusiastic recommendation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Zsuzsa N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your kind recognition of Lisa. It means a lot for our associates when our guests take time to give them positive feedback, and it gives use the opportunity to celebrate our high performers. Lisa is sure our champion when it comes to making our guests feel special; she is a great example of the service we strive to provide.
Thank you again for your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon.
Gonzales, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is close to everything we wanted to see. It made everything easy to Find. The staff was great, especially the gal who helped serve the great breakfast in the mornings. She was a delight. I believe here name was Nicole. The rooms were clean and got cold like we like it. The towels were too thin for me. The first day we got cookies. Don't know if we just missed them the other days or they didn't have them. Plenty of parking. Comfortable beds. Not sure they were the cheapest or nicest hotel but they were nice enough for sure to recommend to someone. They are in the Vanderbilt area of town. There were not many restaurants in that area which was odd for a college area. Safe enough area to walk or run

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

I thought I'd break this review into sections to give the most accurate review of our recent stay.

1. First and foremost, the staff is wonderful! We especially found Lisa at the front desk to be especially kind and helpful in everything from restaurant recommendations to calling us a personal cab when the hotel transportation was late to pick us up for an appointment at Vanderbilt Hospital (the reason for our visit.). The valets were also kind and friendly, as well as the rest of the front desk staff.

-The check in was quick and efficient as was check-out. They offer luggage carts that you can take up to your room, so that helped with moving luggage around.

-They are in close proximity to Vanderbilt hospital, and offered a good discount when we scheduled through Vanderbilt. It is still an expensive hotel, but the staff made the experience nice.

-The room itself is on the smaller side, but comfortably slept two adults, and was pleasantly decorated. The bedding and pillows were very comfortable, so that is always a plus! The mini coffee maker in the room needs to be replaced however as it wasn't working properly. I also didn't like that there wasn't a fan in the bathroom to help ventilate the room after a shower. The AC unit worked well and kept the room comfortable.

-The cleaning staff although friendly, needs major improvement. The shower/tub was filthy when we checked in, and there was mildew present. The bathroom floors also needed to be cleaned better too, and more toilet paper added to the restrooms.

-The staff at the front desk was very accommodating when we mentioned being there to visit Vanderbilt Hospital. They gave us a more quiet room away from the elevators so that it would be more quiet. Since it's an older building, it was still noisy, but that definitely helped though. The hotel is well-lot so if you are walking to the hotel at night from a restaurant, etc, it is visible and feels relatively safe.

-I disliked that for the price, no breakfast was included, when hotels nearby did offer that. We were very close to "The Row" however and dined there several times at Lisa's recommendations. It is a nice restaurant to visit if you're staying at this hotel.

-The hotel bus driver was awful. He was so late the first day that the staff wound up getting us a cab and later reimbursing us because we almost missed our appointment time at the hospital. (We called ahead to give them plenty of notice that we'd like to be picked up at the set time.) I did think the front desk staff handled that well and found that very polite of them to reimburse us for the cab fare with our receipt. | The other time we tried to use the hotel driving service, the driver drove much too quickly and made some very questionable driving moves like an illegal u-turn in the middle of a busy intersection, and speeding too quickly. When pulling into a restaurant parking lot, he almost hit another car. We did not feel safe using this service. The driver was polite, but not safe.

-The lighting in the bedroom is quite dim; some brighter bulbs would help.

-The view was quite nice; we were able to overlook part of downtown Nashville and watch a storm roll in.

-The elevators worked well and we didn't have to wait long to use them. I've previously stayed in other hotels where the elevators didn't work well, so I thought this was worth mentioning. I also liked that they had the safety exits clearly posted in case of emergency.

-Every single time we came downstairs, the staff would say hello, ask how our day was, and if we needed anything. I feel like this hotel has some of the most friendly staff around! Since this was our temporary "home away from home", we found that very nice, and really appreciated the hospitality!

Overall, this is a bit of an overpriced hotel that could use improvement in the cleanliness of some areas, but that aside, it was a pleasant stay. The staff made us feel very welcome, the hotel is located very close to a lot of attractions, including the hospital if you're a patient, and the room was comfortable. Their service was also very prompt at check in and check out. I could see older couples staying here or younger college kids, so I feel they're accommodating to every age range. If you do have a large family however, you may need a bigger room/suite since they do run smaller as the building is older.

• Stayed February 2014
Zsuzsa N, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Lydia
First and foremost thank you for staying at the Courtyard Nashville Vanderbilt. We appreciate your extensive review of our hotel. It does give a detailed prospective and we thank you for your time, as we believe only through our guest’s feedback we can truly understand the areas of opportunities for improvement.
I appreciate your kind feedback about the hospitality you have received from the entire team, especially Lisa at the front desk. She goes above and beyond to make sure our visitors enjoy their stay and get to experience Nashville to the fullest; we will be sure to recognize her.
I’m very sorry about the cleanliness issues you have described, be assured that we will take the appropriate corrective actions to avoid these issues from happening again.
In regards to the van service, I apologize that we were not able to provide the service to your expectations. Due to the high demand of using our van, it is difficult to provide scheduled time pick up service, therefore it’s based on-demand, and we can only estimate the time; however we will look into improving the time concern you have described.
The feedback of our van drivers has been extremely high, and we have never had any safety issue however I will definitely address your feedback and take additional, training on safe driving as safety of our guest’s is the utmost importance.
Once again, I appreciate your feedback and please feel free to contact the hotel directly if we can ever be of further assistance.
We are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My three friends and I stayed here for two nights this past weekend - what a great hotel! We would definitely stay here again. All of the employees we encountered had great service. The room was a perfect size. Having the shuttle and pool made the hotel even better!

Stay here ...especially with the beautiful renovation.

Room Tip: Pull out sofa could have been a bit more comfortable, but it is a pull out sofa.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel on a 3 day business trip to Nashville. Luckily I didn't need the provided earplugs, the room was quiet on Monday and Tuesday nights. The staff were very friendly and warm and the room seemed updated and clean. My only gripe was the lighting for the sink, it takes a while for the fluorescent fixture to 'warm up' and even then it's dark even for a guy. A lighted swing-arm mirror might be in order for this area. And the elevators are horribly slow. Apparently I had two gripes. Apart from those minor inconveniences, my stay was very pleasant.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Nashville Vanderbilt/West End? Share your experiences!