“The price was right, but the smell was ripe” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #67 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Gainesville, FL
“The price was right, but the smell was ripe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here for two nights while in Nashville for a football game. The hotel was in a decent location, close enough to be downtown after a quick drive. The customer service and cleanliness of the hotel left much to be desired.

- The front desk staff failed to greet or acknowledge us any time we walked through the lobby. We didn't get so much as a smile.

- The front desk has a sign that "fresh eggs and sausage are available upon request." Why wouldn't you post that in the breakfast area or was the sign really suggesting that I could ask for an egg at the front desk and get it any time? It seemed clear that they didn't want guests to request hot breakfast items, so they didn't put the sign in the breakfast area.

- The tile in the room's bathroom was totally inappropriate for flooring (maybe it was wall tile?). It was totally slick (even when dry). We only had two full-size towels, and we had to use one as a bathmat (as our room didn't have one), so we had to go to the front desk to have enough towels for both of us to shower.

- Our non-smoking room smelled horrible - a mixture of smoke and cleaning products? We opened the window most of the time we were in the room, but because the windows had no screens, we would eventually close them for safety. Now that I'm home, everything I brought (including my suitcase) smells like that room.

- Leaving the room in the morning, we noticed that someone had dropped a handful of Cheetos in the hallway, and we watched the maid walk past the mess several times (three?) without stopping to pick up the chips. it showed a real lack of pride in the hotel or in her job.

- The elevator had the same muddy footprints on Sunday (when I checked out) as it did on Friday upon check-in. How often are the halls and elevators cleaned?

- On the plus side, the breakfast did offer fresh fruit and yogurt (instead of only carb items), so that was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We arrived around 5 pm and no room was ready for us; the manager finally gave us a different one. As I walked down the hall towards it, there was still housekeeping staff cleaning rooms; the hallway had several housekeeping baskets in it. The carpet in the hallway is DISGUSTING and the room carpet wasn't much better. There was no smoke alarm in our room; just a loose wire hanging from the ceiling. The back door lock was missing. The next morning we found a hair in our bed, not ours. Gross gross gross. We chose not to eat the free breakfast; too afraid of cooties.

Husband liked the shower a lot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

The reviews about stains on the carpets are true, but everything else is clean. Clean beds- no bugs- I care more about than carpet- I can wear shoes. Decent place for the price. Area is older and surrounding community seems lower from socioeconomic perspective- but not scary or dangerous. Trip with hubby and three year old- clean and very affordable.

• Stayed September 2012
Madison
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

The hotel seems have undegone some recent upgrades, but they also appear to be cosmetic only. While it looked nice form a distance, there were a lot of issues closer up: stained carpet, heavy stench of smoke on second floor, missing door locks, doors and fire doors not closing all the way, and just a 'worn' appearance in general. But the rooms were nonetheless clean and the breakfast was good. The morning front desk person was much more personable. For the right price I would stay again if pasing through the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Apalachicola
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

There was makeup on each pillow case, urine stains on the sheet and between the headboard and the mattress nothing but tons of hair and cracker crumbs. I have never been so disguisted in all my life, O wish I could post the photos.

• Stayed August 2012
Anish P, General Manager at Sleep Inn Nashville, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I would like to start off by saying thank you for your feedback as your opinion is important to us. I want to deeply apologize for the issues that you encountered while staying at our hotel. I have addressed the issues with my housekeeping manager and staff. I can assure you that this problem has been resolved and will not happen again. I take pride in making sure that our rooms are in tip top shape cleanliness wise. To hear that is wasn't disappointed me. I would like for you to give us another chance if you are ever in the area again to see the improvements and corrections we have made. Again, i truly am sorry for your recent experience with us.
Antwerp, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We booked here for 2 nights mid july. Upon arrival there were those creepy guys at the parking lot at the backside of the hotel. We immediatly felt unsafe. Our room was on the first floor in a smelly hallway. Although we saw on the internet that rooms had been renovated... No a sign of that. Carpet full of stains, old furniture, dirty sheets!! We did not unpack at all. After we returned from dinner we had the unplaisant surprise that our roomdoor was open! We went to reception and they laughed and told us that may be the batteries inside the lock needed to be changed, but he couldn't do it. So we were moved to another room close to the back entrance. This room was even worse... Shower door was missing, furniture with staines on it, molt in shower,... But because the sheets seemed to be clean here, we decided to stay 1 night but to cancel the second one. The whole night we heared noises on the parking and guys were hanging arround all the time. I never felt more unsafe in my live!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Anish P, General Manager at Sleep Inn Nashville, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I would like to start off by saying thank you for your feedback as your opinion is important to us. I want to first and foremost apologize for any inconvenience that you encountered. I have reviewed the issues with the room with my housekeeping manager and I assure you that these problems have been resolved. I have also talked to my front desk clerk and explained that a situation as serious as a door not locking is no laughing matter. As far as the men that were in the back parking lot, they are weekly guest that have a contract with us through their company. I have talked to their boss to make sure that they are not perceived as a danger. I would like to invite you back to our hotel to see the changes and improvements we have made. Once again I deeply apologize for your experiences.
Medford, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here for 6 nights in April 2012. The room was clean and did not smell of any odor. The hotel staff was friendly, though some were a little more knowledgeable than others, but all were extremely friendly. Breakfast was appetizing for me only one day as they had boiled eggs. Besides fruit, it was breads, waffles and a few cereals. Not sure if this is regular, but i noticed state police using the hotel overnight for 4 out of the 6 nights i was there. It was actually kinda comforting knowing they were there. The hotel room was quiet and only on one of the nights was it actually pretty busy. I enjoyed the bar behind the hotel as it was an easy to relax and get a drink. Live music there just about every night, but prepared to come home smelling like an ash tray, even if you don't smoke.
My only small complaint was the back door did not shut all the way, making the key card useless. Hopefully they have it fixed by now.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the front hotel facing east...music from the bar might keep you up if the windows...