“Great alternative to the Gaylord!” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Ole Opry Package
Ranked #26 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern US
“Great alternative to the Gaylord!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Thank goodness I stayed at this Hyatt Place rather than the monstrosity that is the Gaylord across the "street." The Hyatt Place provides much better value without all the countrified tackiness that the Gaylord banks on. Plus you won't walk 10 miles to your room.

The HP shuttle will take you to the Gaylord if you must go due to a convention like I had, and all of the shuttle drivers were pleasant and helpful. The front desk attendants were also helpful and they gave me the "best room in the house" (at least by my standards, which is the top floor, end of the hall). It was quiet, even more so due to my room location! Comfy bed, nice desk area, clean property, nice little pool out back, plenty of parking. Parents will be glad to see there is a putt putt and go cart facility behind the hotel. (And a good Thai place too right by the go-carts).

Breakfast is typical of other Hyatt Place properties - probably the weakest spot for them as a whole. If you see my other reviews you'll see I am a Hyatt Place fan and continue to be after staying in this great property. If I have to attend another convention at the Gaylord I will be sure NOT to stay there and will come back to this Hyatt Place!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I love the Hyatt Place concept, but this property falls short of the brand identity. The kiosks to do self-check in and check out were covered up and not working. Both beds in our room appeared to have been inhabited by 600-pound people for weeks, with sinkholes right in the middle. Even the sheets on the bed were so rough that they felt itchy. Breakfast was not nearly as nice as what I've seen in other Hyatt Place properties. This places needs a redo.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed two nights at this hotel while visiting the Grand Ole Opry. The hotel is easily accessible, being a short distanace from I-40 on "Music Valley Drive" just off the Briley Parkway. There was ample parking available in front of the hotel entrance. There are a few more hotels in the same general area, but I made my decision to stay here based on current reviews and prices of the surrounding hotels. I made my reservations using the hyatt.com website, and promptly received an email confirmation. Check-in was simple and easier than any hotel I have ever stayed. There is a kiosk near the front door that guests can use for check-in and check-out. I didn't use it for check-in, but I did for check-out. I told the person at the desk my name, and she gave me my room keys. There was no paperwork, and no duplication of the same stuff that I already entered during the reservation process on their website, like you usually get at other hotels. Lobby was nice, elevators were fine. My double-bed room was spacious, although the the beds seemed to be only full size, not queen size. Beds slept ok, room was furnished with iron/board, hair dryer, several small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. There was free wireless internet access in my room. The hotel seems to be somewhat older, but they have kept it updated well.

I asked about entertainment / attractions in the area, and they gave me a sheet of discount coupons to use at the local shops,(although there are not many shops) along with a brief discussion about what was available in the area. The hotel also offers complimentary shuttle transportation to the Gaylord Opryland Resort for touring, and the Grand Ole Opry. Using the complimentary shuttle to the Gaylord Opryland Resort will save you $18.95 parking fee at the resort. Hyatt shuttle service will come back and pick you up when you're ready. I used the shuttle service to tour the Opryland resort for a few hours, but drove my own car to the Grand Ole Opry, since parking is free at the Opry. The Gaylord Opryland Resort is certainly worth a tour. It'll take you about 3 or 4 hours to tour it, if you eat while you are there. They have several restaurants, many shops, and even a boat ride inside that dome covered botanical garden resort. The Grand Ole Opry is one of the best entertaining shows I have experienced. It's hard to imagine that this entire area was under water from the flood of 2010. They have done an unbelievable job of restoration.

I paid about $79.00 per night for my room. Compared to $200 - $300 at the Gaylord Resort, I would say this was a reasonably good value. The Hyatt Place hotel had some kind of continental breakfast, but I wanted eggs and bacon, so I opted for the McDonald's at the end of the street on my way out. I used the kiosk to check-out. That was fast and simple. Everyone at the hotel, and the whole area, was friendly and courteous. If traveling in that area again, I would certainly consider staying at the Hyatt Place again, although the rates would still have to be competitive.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Bottom Line: This hotel is very nice and comfortable, and I would consider staying here again; however I would try to get something closer to downtown Nashville if possible.

In November, my girlfriend and I decided to take a trip to Nashville. We booked accommodation at the Hyatt Place Nashville / Opryland. We phoned from the airport, and their shuttle service came to pick us up. The driver was very friendly and talkative!

When we arrived in our room, we found the hotel to be very nice, comfortable and updated recently. The rooms are large and there was plenty of space for us.

The downside of the hotel was that it was located well away from downtown Nashville. The city itself was about a 15 - 20 minute drive. This did not make going into downtown a very pleasurable experience, as it would be better to walk out your front door and be in the action.

Also, the neighbourhood of the hotel didn't offer much in terms of entertainment and attractions. There was Opryland itself; however that was closed due to floods. Other than that there were a few restaurant, but one would certainly not choose to spend time in this area.

So while the hotel itself was very nice, it is located quite far from the downtown area with many of the attractions. We had a good stay here, but next time we would prefer to stay closer to downtown.

Did you find this review to be helpful? If so, please click "YES" beside, "Was this review helpful?" Thanks!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

This was a great place to stay and we would definitely go back. 24 hour food service, a Starbucks in the lobby, a bar with 1/2 price happy hour, plus a nice large pool. And it's within walking distance of several restaurants and entertainment. Also, nice rooms that separate the sleeping area from the rest of the room, which includes a kitchen area with sink and frig.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is a great place to stay. The rooms are large with a separate sitting area. There is a desk and small refrigerator.The furnishings in the room looked new. The carpets were clean. There was a nice long marble vanity and a desk. We loved the TV.

The lobby was nice and the staff were very nice and helpful. We spent around $100 per night and it was well worth.

If I have any complaint at all, it is about the size of the bathroom. It could have been a little bit larger. But still, with the vanity being outside the bathroom, it serves the purpose.

The hotel has a nice fresh smell. In Nashville, since the flood, this was important. I didn't realize how important it was to me until we visited the Gaylord Opryland Hotel. They have spent $150,000,000 in renovations and yet, it still has a musty smell. Besides that, the rooms are twice the price and not anywhere nearly as nice as the Hyatt Place rooms.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We visited Nashville with two granddaughters, ages 11 and 14 and stayed 3 nights. The room was very large and accomodated the 4 of us very well. There was a small water leak on the carpet in front of the refrigerator and maintenance came within 15 minutes of our call about it. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the lobby, pool and room was very clean. The only problem was that the area reserved for breakfast in the morning is very small and it was too crowded and they were unable to keep the food replenished fast enough to prevent running out of most things. You can order (and pay extra) for hot food, i.e. scrambled eggs, waffles. All in all a nice place to stay with yummy cheesecake available.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Nashville/Opryland? Share your experiences!