“Visit but stay somewhere else.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Huntsville, Alabama
“Visit but stay somewhere else.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

First let me say that the Opryland Hotel is beautiful and has recovered nicely from the flood. I am sure it is a wonderful place to go for a convention and therein lies the problem. The hotel is a big box convention location. If you are expecting service that would equate with the prices they charge you are at the wrong hotel. On my recent stay I was told at check in that there were no suites left with a balcony. Even though I had called before hand to request a balcony they were first come, first serve. Fine, except that I called on my cell phone and reservations said there were in fact balcony rooms available. I asked again and was told that they were looking at a different computer and were mistaken in reservations. A different compuler? Really? I told them that I felt perhaps I was not being told the truth because I had booked at a reduced rate. I travel a lot and most hotels that charge $400 a night and up for a suite would at least have called the suite to check that we were happy or sent us breakfast or drink coupons or something. We have not even received the follow up servey that they assured us was very important to them.
Bottom line, for the same money stay at a the Hermitage or the Hilton and visit the Opryland Hotel for a few hours and enjoy it.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,874)
Bolivar, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Recently, I stayed at the Opryland hotel in Nashville, Tn. As I was checking in, a bell hop had retrieved my bags. When I spoke to him, I realized it was the same Gentleman that had helped me on my previous stays. He was very friendly and helpful as always. We spoke about the recent changes. He asked how my family was too. It was wonderful to see a friendly face that I was familiar with. The entire staff were just as nice and helpful.
While there, we were under a Tornado warning. The staff handled the situation quickly and effieciently, without any panic.
The Old Hickory Steakhouse was a dream! The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The filet was so tender it melted in your mouth. I was able to use a butter knife to cut it. The cheesecake, oh my, was "oh my!" Wonderful!!
Thank you for such a safe and comfortable stay!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
GaylordOpryland, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, March 8, 2011
bakertwin,

Thank you for recognizing our staff! Our culinary team is remarkable! We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again if your travels take you back to Nashville.
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

This hotel is unlike any other we've been in, and we've been all. The interior is awesome. It has several huge, high areas which are filled with trees, plants, dancing fountains, waterfalls, and its own river. 9 1/2 acres of the hotel are covered by a glass dome, so sunlight streams in during the day and stars twinkle through at night. Being inside the hotel was like being in the jungle in Costa Rica. It was incredibly gorgeous.

We found the people extremely friendly and helpful and the beds (at least in our room) excellent. Our room wasn't one of the fancy ones overlooking the plants, but it was quite adequate. We ate in two of the restaurants and enjoyed our meals. Also, the Grand Ole Opry was actually on the grounds of the hotel, and they shuttled us there.

Be aware: the hotel is pricey. You get what you pay for, and it's an incredible place, but it comes at a price. There is also an extra daily fee which we felt was unfair (see below). Several of the restaurants are expensive. Also, be ready to walk a lot. The hotel is huge. Be aware that the hotel is 9 miles from Nashville. They run shuttles, but you have to buy tickets.

We took the Nashviile tour, the Hermitage/Belle Mead tour, and the Grayline Trolley Tour, all of which we recommend. One of our tour bus drivers, Ray James, was actually a working musician and sang his own music while driving. See the singing tourbus driver on YouTube! We loved seeing the Grand Ole Opry and walking around to Nashville honey tonks and listening to the music. We ate at Jack's and Ribby's downtown---both good. We would have visited the Wildhorse Saloon, run by the hotel downstown, but it was closed.

Suggestions for hotel management: Roll that daily $15 "resort fee" into the room rate or eliminate it. The hotel is expensive enough that we should be able to use the pool without paying that fee. Also, we would have liked something to do in the hotel at night. There are no activities. A few of the restaurants had live music starting at 8, but you have to be in there eating then. There is a nightclub, but many of us are not nightclubbers. They should have something scheduled every night, even bingo---at one resort we enjoy, they have bingo, with a great caller, and the guests win a few bucks, and everyone has a ball. The other place also has horseraces with wooden horses. How about some music not confined to the restauants? Movies? Something?

All in all I have to say that I was extremely impresswed with this unique and beautiful hotel and would enthusiasitially recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardone15,

Thank you for recommending us! Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center has a very talented horticulture team that takes great pride in our landscapes.

Your suggestions have been shared with our Special Events & Entertainment team as this group continually searches for ways to enhance our entertainment options.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

This was my second experience staying at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Hotel and I can't even begin to put into words how exceptional this place is. It is like being at a tropical resort. Everything you need is right there at your fingertips. No need to even leave once you have checked in!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
maymay80,

Thank you for posting your review! We hope you will return to Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center so we may continue to exceed your expectations!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

What a fantastic Resort! A must see and a must stay!

BacaJM,

Thank you for your review!
Millington, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I was just wanting a place to stay while touring Nashville. We never left the Hotel. I have covered 48 countries and have seen the Leaning tower of Pisa, the sisteen chapel, the Eifel Tower and just about everything else noteworthy. Nothing exceeds the awe of the Opry Land Hotel. You could spend an entire vacation in the Hotel itself. GREAT staff and resturaunts that are far better than the 4 Seasons. The experience was immense. Dont forget to get the couples massages at the spa and partake of one of many 5 star resturaunts. The waterfall in the middle of the garden was impressive as well. This Hotel is an understated bargain. I will return! Better than Disney!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NavyChief_55,

WOW! Thank you for your review of Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center! I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the tranquility of Relache Spa!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I must say I was a bit reluctant to attend our conference at the Gaylord after hearing some of the reviews and difficulties people experienced. I was so pleasantly surprised when the Gaylord exceeded my expectations with friendly service, delicious meals and really fun entertainment options on-site. The Gaylord is phenomenal and I will certainly return with family next time just for fun. My only caution is that prices for food and beverage are pretty steep and you need deep pockets. I availed myself of most of what they had to offer:

Solario - delicious Mexican food with a nice table-side guacamole presentation. Margarita was good but not really worth $10 each

Findley's Irish Pub - great atmosphere with live music and full bar and food

Jack Daniels Distillery - another fun atmosphere with small tables and bar area with live music and food

Fuse - super nightclub with great house DJ and live music. Lots of places to sit or stand and people-watch, I prefered to keep the feet on the dance floor! Would like it if they learned to do a last call instead of just turning up the lights at 2:00 am.

Old Hickory Steakhouse - conference provided lunches here and they were delicious, well-presented and very diligent wait staff

Cascade Falls - wonderful place to sit and enjoy a drink and watch people coming in while enjoying the rush of the waterfall

Ravello - Italian restaurant where the conference provided dinner in a private room and Salmon was fantastic, only to be outdone by the wait staff who couldn't be more friendly and helpful. Ebram from Egypt was a delight!

Definitely need good walking shoes as the facility is 57 acres and you will need to do plenty of walking to get to/from room and events. The atriums are amazingly beautiful and it is like being outdoors without the hassle of bad weather. Loved the pool and oversized outdoor hot tub, wish it was open later in the evenings.

My only criticism of the Gaylord facility itself was the lack of sound proofing in the rooms, you can literally hear EVERYTHING in the room next door. Finally there is a lack of communication between the Consider It Done, Concierge and Transportation services. I think the front desk needs to spend a moment explaining the methods of obtaining transportation to/from downtown and the airport. If you ask three different people you will get 3 different answers, this was almost a very big problem for us getting to the airport but worked out in the end. Concierge is very slow and I think they need one desk just for quick info questions and the remainder can be for people needing more in-depth assistance with ticket purchases, etc.

Overall it is a super destination and you really don't need to leave the Gaylord. Very friendly staff and extremely clean. Nice job with the renovations after the flood, they should be very proud.

matraveler4fun,

Thank you so much for recounting your experience on TripAdvisor! We truly appreciate your willingness to give us a chance! I have passed along your valuable feedback regarding transportation to ensure accurate information is shared in the future. We hope to see you and your family soon!

Been to Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!