“Gaylord Country Christmas” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Gaylord Country Christmas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Hotel is as beautiful as it always was, they did a great job with repairs after the floods. I miss the Cascades rotating-bar but love the hotel. It is my place to go "veg" when I need a break. Still pricey but it IS a resort.

If you go for Country Christmas be prepared to sit in traffic just to get to the front doors and check in. It took me 1 hour. I valet parked to save some time but that is a steep cost just to not sit in more traffic. Not sure what happened, I've been to the hotel many times in the past and during Country Christmas and never saw traffic at a stand still like that before.

YES, I would recommend going, it is a beautiful, relaxing place. Just be prepared in case traffic is bad.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,682)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

We chose to pay the big money and stay at the Opryland Resort during our Christmas Vacation to Nashville. It was a great palce to stay!! My wife and two Teenagers LOVED the place! My teens loved the fact that there were so many great places to take pictures. We enjoyed the river boat ride, and had really good food at the Old Hickory. We wanted to try Solarios and the Italian place, but didnt have time. We enjoyed the Shuttles that brought us to the Rockettes, and the Snow! and ICE! exhibits were really fun! I can not remember the last time I stayed at a Hotel and slept as good as when I am in my own bed, but I sleeped soooo good during my stay! we had two queen beds, so there were plenty of room, and the beds were just perfect when it comes to comfort! I ALMOST pulled back the sheets to see what brand the mattress was so I would know what to buy in the future. :)
It is a resort, and there are fees...parking and etc, but we already planned on the cost so it wasnt a shock to see the final bill.
We stayed two nights in a Hotel closer to downtown after leaving the Opryland, and boy, did we ever miss the Opryland!!! We got super spoiled!
Thanks to all of the "Stars" at the Opryland for helping to make our Vacation a great one!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Owensboro, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

Thank goodness my family only planned to spend one night at this "resort". We stopped here on our way home from Chattanooga and I wish we had kept on driving. It took us almost 3 hours to even get in the parking lot. Half way up the drive my mother got out and walked the rest of the way to go ahead and get us checked in. Cars were going everywhere and we finally got through and unloaded our bags so we could spend another hour looking for a parking spot. They let us park for free in the employee parking lot (normally it's $18 a day to park) since it had been such a nightmare to get checked in, but it probably would have been closer to park across the road at the McDonald's. (Someone backed into my dad's truck on top of all this and didn't leave a note!) It was the weekend after Thanksgiving and it was so crowded you could hardly move. We didn't want to get back out into that traffic so we had to eat on site. There aren't many choices and they all are expensive. If you have little ones, make sure you take some snacks. There isn't much they will like. We ate at a burger place and had to stand in line for over an hour to just get waited on. Everything was so crowded that we ended up going back to the room. Our room was very nice, but we were supposed to have a roll away bed in our room since we had 5 people staying in it. When it didn't show up we called to check on it and were told that fire code doesn't allow roll away beds. Their suggestion was for someone to sleep on the floor. It seems a bitmuch to suggest someone sleep on the floor of a $300. a night room. It might have been quieter sleeping on the floor, since the sounds from the people at the bars and wandering around the grounds continued for well into the night. Needless to stay we will not be going back here ever again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

We have stopped at the Opryland Hotel many times and visited to look thru but have never been able to stay there. It is a beautiful place and they have done a great job getting it redone after the flood. However, we were disappointed in our stay. We went during an extremely busy time, they had Ice and Snow going on. We were in line for an hour just to try to get to a parking area to go register for our stay. We asked one of the people directing traffic where to go park, they told us to park in the overflow lot. That cost $10.00 but just for that time only if we left we would have to pay again. They also told us that a bus would be shuttling people to the hotel with their luggage and bags. We paid and parked but didn't see a bus so we started to gather our bags and walk to the hotel lobby. We walked and walked. Our 7yr old was so tired! When we finally got to registration there was a really long line to register. My daughter and I found a restroom and then headed back. The line was alot better then. I had paid for our room in advance and they said they would be adding another $100 on my debit card in case anything happened to cover the costs and would put it back once we checked out. They never told me this when I was making reservations. They gave us our map and told us how to get to our room. 1st time we have ever had to have a map to find our room in a hotel. We had to walk and walk and walk some more. By the time we got to our room we were needing a break. We then needed to find out about the bus so we could get the rest of our things. We headed to the entrance they told us to go to and asked a lady about it. She wasn't sure but said we will get you on a bus and went and made a phone call to find out where we needed to be. This was the best thing about our stay here, she took us in the hotel's vehicle to our van and let us load the rest of our stuff and took us to the entrance closest to our room. THANK YOU!!!!! We then headed for our room and got lost. Our room was basic like you would find in any other hotel. Our daughter thought it would be fancier. Which honestly we have stayed in hotels with fancier rooms for ALOT less.Now what do we do about food. The restaurants were so full if you didn't have a reservation you weren't gonna eat for a long time. Room service was just as expensive $15.00 for a cheeseburger then add tax, $3.00 delivery charge and a 21% gratuity fee. For a person where money is no object and can spend as much as they want its great but for some of us it didn't work out so well. So unless we wanted to pay again for parking (which should be free to those staying there!) we had to walk to a place to eat. The restaurants are all on the other side of the street in front of the main entrance to Opryland. We walked to Cracker Barrel and had a great meal and server. She even sent us a to go box with extra biscuits for our daughter and a to go cup of our drinks. We then made our hike back to the hotel and ended up lost again trying to get to our room. We were exhausted! After a nights sleep on hard beds we ate our biscuits in our room because going somewhere would have been a really long walk again. Our daughter wanted to swim so we got ready and went to find the pool, which when making reservations was told we would be close to it. Not so much. We again had to walk and walk go down the elevator walk some more and go down the elevator again. Once we got to the pool it was the 2nd best thing about our trip. The pool was clean and nice size. The hot tub however was outside so when anyone went in our out the cold air came in and you would freeze so we went to the other end of the pool to try to stay warm. They should have a double door there so not to let the cold air in. We stayed there for about an hour. Good supply of towels in locker room. Now back on our long journey to our room. We had tickets to a Garth Brooks concert so we went ahead and got ready then made our long walk to the parking lot. When we returned that night we went back to the same lot because we were leaving in the morning and could not see having to pay $15.00 more to park for a few more hours. In the morning we could not find a cart so my husband made three trips to our van to load then came back and we all left with the last of our stuff. Check out could be done over the phone which was nice since we didn't have to make that walk back to the lobby and then to our van. Normally we spend alot of time looking around inside but because of all the walking we had to do just to get in and out and around we didn't do any of that this time. I have asthma and a problem with my knee and the walking we had to do did not help at all. But now our daughter can say we have stayed at Opryland Hotel but will never again. We have actually stayed at nicer places for less cost and will continue to that in the future.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Blytheville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

My son and I stayed two nights so that we could visit family in the area. This was my first time back several years. The service from everyone was outstanding. I would especially compliment Adam at the front desk who made our stay even better by taking care of a minor problem immediately.

The food at the Old Hickory Steakhouse was so, so delicious. And the service was among the best we've ever had anywhere. We were there about an hour before they closed on Monday, Dec. 27, but we never felt rushed. In fact, they encouraged us to relax and take our time and enjoy our meal--which we did.

I believe the server was Tony, and he made our experience one that was well worth the price of the delicious food and wine.

Expensive? Yes. I can only afford to stay there on special occasions or at a work-related conference. But it was worth it!

We not only had a great time--but more importantly, we left with a Christmas memory that we will enjoy the rest of our lives. My only regret is that my daughter and son-in-law were unable to join us. But there's always next year! ;-)

• Stayed December 2010
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

very expensive, but GREAT experience....only wish we could have afforded to stay longer

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Hello, My name is Linda Pruitt, I stayed in Room 5357 Magnolia Wing this past December and really loved my visit, this was my 4th year straight and I would go today if I possibly could, I go with two of my friends Kathy Harvey and Carol Priore, for past two years we got lucky and stayed in the same room and was suppose to " or we were told " we would be in our old room this past year but some thing happened and we got 5357, we did stay in 5353 on the Magnolia Wing and that is our favorite room in the whole hotel, We love to set on the balcony and watch the water show and everyone walking around enjoying them selfs',, We surely love this hotel and it was restored beautiful, very elegant. We will be back next Nov,Dec and hope to get our old room back again 5353, so keep that in mind for the Harvey Group of 3,,, Hope this review is helpful and look forward to spending part of the Holidays with you all at the end of the year, Linda Pruitt

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!