“THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Chicago, Illinois
“THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

These people are liars. I Paid over 300.00 a night to be given a partial room with a bed that folded out from a couch. They refused to honor my resevation that I prepaid over three months in advance for a king room. My fiance was devastated. I will never again stay at this terrible resort that has become no more than a cheap hillbilly motel!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Gaylord_VOC, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience at Gaylord Opryland, obviously we take this very seriously and sincerely apologize that your stay was below expectations. A member of our staff will follow up with you directly to discuss your issues. If you have any questions about our reservation policies please e-mail our team at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com and we will reply immediately.

Gaylord Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,875)
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

Took mini vacation (2 days / 2 nights) for Gaylord Opryland Christmas Package. Hotel is phenomenal - tastefully decorated for Christmas. Inside gardens is a botanical destination in itself. Attended Louise Mandrell Dinner Show -- very good show and food was excellent. Radio City Rockettes performance was at Grand Ole Opry. Hotel had shuttle to Opry House which was nice and convenient. Rockettes show was great. Very entertaining. Might not appeal to teens, but in addition to dance routines has a good Christmas theme for kids. Also has nice focus on Jesus and very unique nativity scene as finale. Opryland also has very inspiring water show 3 times each night in one of the lobbies which has great focus on Jesus as the reason for the season. If you're not into the Christian aspect of Christmas, you won't be offended by the Rockettes or Opryland's focus, but you will appreciate it if you want some Christian theme in with the holidays. There are plenty of shops and offerings of Christmas ornaments and other holiday "artifacts." Hotel's restaurants are nice - had dinner at the Mexican one (Solario) -- food was good and value was good for a resort hotel. "Ice" is the story of "Santa Claus is coming to Town" carved in ice sculptures. They give you a parka to go through it, but dress warmly as well. Overall, Opryland Hotel is very nice place to stay and Christmas package offers fun and enjoyment for a mini vacation / splurge for the holidays.

Nice place to stay with

• Stayed December 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

I recently took my mother to Gaylord for the "Country Christmas" experience at Gaylord Opryland. We planned this before the hotel re-opened and expected a fabulous trip. We were less than satisfied with the entertainment and what we received versus what we paid.

Now, I considered the package deal a great price for what was included and being at a "resort." I would not consider this a resort. I am a traveler and I have stayed at some fabulous locations around the world. This was a bargain price I thought, but your do truly get what you pay for.

The room was clean and nice, but not "resort" quality, simply a nice room at any average Hilton or chain hotel you may visit. Our package included our room, tickets to the Louis Mandrell Christmas show, tickets to the river boat cruise, tickets to the Rockettes, tickets to ICE!, the Hall of Trees and Treasures of the Holidays shopping and craft fair. Plain and simple: Louis Mandrell was HORRIBLE. It is time for her to hang it up. The food was okay, but not amazing. And, you have no options- they bring you a plate and that's it. The show was something I could have skipped. The music was good, but the dancing was atrocious. The River Boat's show was excellent. Tim Watson was very entertaining, but he will not be returning next year and that's a shame. The food on the boat- not so good. It was severed completely family style. I was was 3rd from last to have the food past to me, and there was none left. The portions given to the table were way to small to feed 10 people. And, there was a worm in someone's salad, and the waiter so "ok, I'll get you another." No apology, nothing.

The Rockettes were amazing as was the Grand Ole' Opry house and the ICE show. The Hall of Trees left a lot to be desired, and Treasure for the Holiday Fair was a joke.

The shuttles are was overpriced: $40 for a round trip to and from the airport per person. Just get a cab, you will save a ton of money. The food was overpriced, selection of places to eat limited and prices for individual events are way overpriced as well. The advertising is misleading, and I would never recommend this place or event to anyone. If you want to go to Nashville, just pick a hotel downtown.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
We greatly appreciate your feedback about your stay at Gaylord Opryland. We are sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with the promotional holiday package that you purchased. We take great pride in providing our customers with unique, quality experiences and apologize that you were disappointed with the value of entertainment and accommodations. However, we are glad to note that you enjoyed some of our signature entertainment events such as the Rockettes, the Opry, ICE!, and the General Jackson show. We take your feedback seriously and will follow up with our team to be sure that we continue to offer the memorable experiences for which we are known. If you have any other details you would like to share please e-mail our staff at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com.

atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

Just reopened, stayed here to do a college visit at Vanderbilt with my wife and two daughters, 17 and 12. Hotel is beautiful, hadn't been there in many years. Most all has been re-done since the floods. I paid almost $250 just for the hotel room when you add the self parking fee and resort fee, way too much in my opinion. Check in was smooth, bellman helped us to the room, long trek, only to find someone in the room. They were 88% occupancy that night, how can you check us into an occupied room? Trekked all the way back to desk and informed them of the problem. Asked for an upgrade for the trouble since they weren't full and she said garden view room would be another $80. Asked her to check with the manager and she left for a few minutes and upgraded us at no extra charge, very nice.

Room was empty this time, very large junior suite, big sitting area and windows overlooking atrium gardens. Great beds, clean room. Wandered the hotel, had a couple thousand Beta Club middle school students there, needless to say very chaotic. Met a couple on the elevator on their anniversary and she was almost in tears that they had picked that night to stay. Couldn't use the pool because of way too many bodies of Beta kids. Hey, I have kids, they like to have fun, so we went back to the room with a disappointed daughter.

Went to dinner at the Mexican restaurant, grumpy manager quoted 35 minutes, waited over an hour. People were walking out left and right after they were seated. Group next to us waited 90 minutes after placing their order to get food. Ours arrived much quicker, but waitress forgot the tortillas with our fajitas and food sat there on table for a long time before anyone came by to see how we were. Not a good job of pacing, quoting wait times and service. Food was good overall though. Great fresh guacamole made tableside. Paid about $80 but didn't want to leave the hotel, so we paid a bit more than we would have liked.

Good sleep quality beds, clean bath. Auto check out did not work because they did not take a card imprint on check in, strange, never had this happen. Hotel is gorgeous, Christmas decorations are wonderful. They just re-opened so I can accept some jitters, but they really were not ready for crowds yet, training needed for sure. Hopefully this will all improve soon.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

My family chose to visit the hotel over the Thanksgiving weekend. We hoped enjoy the beautiful lights and shows including ICE, SNOW, and the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes show like so many others!

I have visited the resort in Nashville three times, and three weeks ago, the Gaylord Texan, for business. In the past, service has always been impeccable. I’m very sorry I cannot say the same for the visit this past weekend with my family.

We checked in on Friday. As expected, it was incredibly crowded. We visited the pool in the Cascades. It was very nice and relaxing after spending hours on the road.

We had dinner reservations Friday evening. Even so, we encountered a two and a half hour long wait for our food to be served at the Cascades restaurant, not to mention a $180 bill (for 2 adults and one child). We would have gone elsewhere, however, lines at the quick pick-up food restaurants for burgers and pizza had hour-long waits and valet was taking 2 hours to retrieve your parked car if we wanted to go off-site. TIP: You will need to make dinner reservations in advance to go to the restaurants on-site!

If you choose to visit during this holiday season, I would suggest taking plenty of snacks and drinks for your room, especially when traveling with small children.

On Saturday, we ordered lunch from room-service which was supposed to have a 30-minute or less guarantee, food did not come for over an hour. Although the food should have been free, they did not credit our bill.

The Rockettes Christmas Spectacular was an incredible show! Unfortunately, my family returned to our hotel room, and the door to our room wide open with no housekeeper in sight. The room had been cleaned, but the housekeeper failed to close our door. I alerted the front desk, I received a brief and insincere apology.

Sunday morning, we awoke and prepared for checkout. I went to make coffee in the room, only to find no cups, no coffee, and a dirty coffee pot from the day previous. This usually wouldn’t be a big deal, but it seemed to correspond to the theme of our vacation.

My husband and daughter were excited to leave and stated, "I feel like we are trapped and can't get what we want or need without having to wait or pay!" I called valet to have the car ready just as we were leaving. I was told I needed to bring my ticket to the valet office because the driveway was full and they couldn’t get my car in advance (just the opposite of what we were told when we parked initially and paid a valet charge of $28/day). We waited another hour for our car.

The staff was courteous and very apologetic, however, with the prices you will pay to stay at the resort, it did not meet up to the expectations. I would suggest staying off-site and touring the hotel for the beautiful lights and activities. I would not suggest eating dinner there again!

I will not choose to take my family there again for the Christmas season.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at Gaylord Opryland, we appreciate you taking the time to review your stay and provide feedback for our team. We apologize that the hotel did not live up to your expectations following our grand re-opening of the resort. We are glad that our team was able to reach you personally following your stay to correct the aforementioned issues and make it right.

As you are probably familiar, Opryland suffered devastating floods in May and we have worked nearly around the clock to get the property re-opened as soon as possible. Following our opening on November 15th, Opryland experienced unprecedented support from our loyal guests and local visitors; that support meant more visitors than in our 34-year history. We had opportunities to provide flawless service given the record-setting number of guests and visitors in the hotel during Thanksgiving weekend and we thank you for highlighting areas we can improve in your review. We sincerely look forward to seeing you again at Gaylord Opryland.

Lincolnton, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I am happy that the hotel recovered after the flood and was able to hire back the majority of its employees. And I wish I could give it a better review solely for that reason. I was there for "A Country Christmas", so that's what I'm basing my review on.

The positives: the staff was nice; housekeeping excellent, our room in the Garden Conservatory was very clean.

The hotel was massive and crowded...there was a three hour waiting list at restaurants for dinner and the lines were out the doors at the more casual places. Food was very expensive. I would recommend packing snacks, and soft drinks if you want them. My aunt paid over $10.00 for a plain ham sandwich. Sales tax in Tennessee is 10%. I've been to true luxury hotels (i.e. the Beau Rivage in Mississippi) with much more affordable dining.

Louise Mandrell's dinner show was fun (and I'm not a country fan), but the food was weird and terrible. If you are not from the South, please don't think this is an example of fine Southern cuisine. Glad I had cheese crackers back in the room. The food was much better on the General Jackson Showboat, though cold unsweetened tea and water were the only drinks available without an extra charge. A ridiculously high extra charge. Tim Watson's show was great. He won't be back next year, so I'd skip the General Jackson after he's gone. ICE! was incredible and fun for all ages - it is really something to see. Bring gloves - it's cold in there. Had to skip the Hall of Trees due to lack of time. Treasures for the Holidays was a small craft show with a lot of beautiful gift options. The Rockettes were beautiful and their live navtivity was breathtaking.

I realize my review seems focused on money. I just want people to be aware of how expensive this place really is; be prepared to use your bankroll. I'm not tight and don't mind splurging...just hate to be taken advantage of. Since I was on a tour bus, I didn't even encounter the parking fees that other reviews have mentioned. Also, there is a lot of walking and a lot of stairs. If anyone has trouble with strenous walking for health reasons, I would consider staying somewhere else. I did enjoy myself, but mostly because of being there with family. I can think of a number of other hotels in the same price range or less where I would rather spend my vacation.

• Stayed November 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide highlights of your experience at the Gaylord Opryland Resort, we apologize for any part of the stay that was below your expectations. Our team was pleased to hear that our STARs were friendly, your room was clean, and that the housekeeping service was thorough. Louise Mandrell is a valued member of the Gaylord family and we are glad you enjoyed the dinner show during your visit. If you have any specific questions for our team or would like a personal follow-up please e-mail us at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

The hotel was excessively overpriced from a cup of coffee to a hamburger. The room service was understaffed and rooms were not available cleaned until well after 3 pm each day. Not to mention the advance payment of $28 a day for valet parking with a 2hr watinting period for your car each time you wished to go out. Alot of hype but no product. Do not gey suckered in by the name. Stay at a local hotel and book your show...alot easier to manage and enjoy than to waste your money staying at the hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Gaylord Opryland Resort. We appreciate your feedback and apologize that your stay was below your expectations. After discussing with our team following the November holidays we understand there were some opportunities with valet parking and we have worked to rectify the situation. If you have any further questions, please contact our team at VoiceOfTheCustomer@GaylordHotels.com.

Gaylord Hotels

Been to Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!