“well worth a stay for at least one night” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
A Country Christmas
Ranked #49 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
North Carolina USA
“well worth a stay for at least one night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

My husband has a sales conference this January in Nashville Tennessee as I had never been to Nashville, I flew out to meet him on his last day and we stayed one night in the Gaylord Orpry land Hotel .
We spent the first afternoon just wandering around the Hotel. The Hotel is massive, gorgeous and well worth a stay for at least one night. There is a conservatory in the hotel and shops and fountains waterfalls, a river and a wonderful indoor pool and very toasty outdoor hot tub. We walked all over the hotel and then changed into swim suits and spent a few hours in the outdoor hot tub and heated in door pool. It was awesome to be outside in 40 degree weather and feel hot. For the most part we had the hot tub and pool to ourselves.
That evening we stayed to watch the water fountain show. It was reminiscent of a mini Bellagio. We were hungry or we could have stayed longer. Really enjoyed the hotel and if we come back to Nashville we will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,679)
Canfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Room was ok. Not the draw however.
The grounds are. Saw two shows.
Great dinner at Old Hickory but very Co$$$tly.
Too much night noise in curtyards. Our room overlooked Ctyard. Paid extra to not sleep. Would go back but would check out what groups are booked and avoid rowdy crowds next time. College activity planners like to drink and stay out later than I like to drink and stay out late hence, sleep deprivation at a price.

• Liked — courtyards
  • Disliked — late night noise
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cookeville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

We stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel for Valentine's weekend. We booked the room through Hotels.com at $ 156.00 per night for a PREMIUM Atrium View room overlooking the fountains in the Delta Atrium. These rooms usually run $ 264.00 - $ 284.00. We had a very enjoyable weekend, in a very comfortable room.

We ate in the Water's Edge Marketplace Buffet Restaurant and at Paisano's Pizzaria & Vino. Both had excellent food. The staff that we came in contact with was all very helpfull and cordial.

We also take friends and relatives to the Gaylord Opryland just to view the Atrium Gardens. The Jack Daniel's Saloon is also a favorite place to eat.

During our stay here were, I believe 3-4 weddings, a fraternity social and a youth group also staying at the hotel. At no time did any of these groups interfere with our stay, due to the hotel being so large.

We experienced no problems during our stay and thouroughly enjoyed our stay. The Opryland Hotel is more than just a hotel, it is an experience, a sight to see. We will return.

Stayed February 2009
Nashville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

The gouging starts at the parking lot. 18 Dollars to park your car. Then there the 15 dollar a day Resort Fee that you pay for things that are not resort like in nature. The resturants are expensive and the food qualtiy is only about 50% of what it should be for the price. The service level is horrible and the room quality is below even holiday inn level. Want more details then read on.

So Here is what you're getting for your 15 dollar "resort fee".
Wireless internet. (Okay this should be free everywhere because its not difficult to maintain, but many hotels gouge you for this.)
A free 20 minutes worth of local calls. (Seriously I can't call local for more than 20 minutes. its 10 cents a minute after that.)
A free 20 minutes worth of toll-free calls. (Its TOLL FREE they're going to charge you 10 cents a minute after 20 minutes to call toll-free numbers.)
Access to the Fitness Center and spa. (This isn't included in the price? Access to the amenities of the hotel are not included in the price? I have not been to another hotel in the world where this is the case.)
A newspaper (Most hotels offer this as complimentary service.)
2 bottles of dasani water a day. (At the going rate for bottled water in the hotel, that is about all they can give you for 15 dollars.)
Shuttles. (Okay maybe this is worth something, but we didn't use it. I have no idea if you pay for the shuttles or not, but I would not assume they're free after the 15 dollars.)

We got 2 rooms for our group, and we needed them. So my experience is not limited to 1 unlucky room. The only good thing I can say about the rooms, is that they're somewhat clean. The matresses are the worst of the 10 hotels i've stayed in, in the last 3 months. The water pressure was weak, and the provided soaps and shampoos were not that nice for what the room cost. The TVs are tiny and have a fuzzy picture on every channel. Again worst 1 in 3 months. One of the TVs didn't even work with the remote at all, and was never fixed. You want to bring entertainment with you? Forget about it. The TVs have hookups but the remotes won't let you connect to anything you plug into the TV by design. This is below a holiday inn level room, for 3 times the price.

So how about the amenities. The wireless you get half a megabit. Anything under 1mb is not highspeed. The pool was freezing cold, the hot tub was broken. It has an arcade, but most the video games were working, but damaged in someway. The arcade had tons of those claw games, that are rigged so it is nearly impossible to win. These offered things like psps, wiis, ds. I was disgusted by the blatant greed. Even those machines were in disrepair. Honestly it was like being at a carnival.

The resturants are like the rooms, over priced and under delivered. First of all 3 dollars for dasani water. Atleast give me something I couldn't get out of a vending machine for a dollar. 20 dollars for a buffet, that you should only pay 10 dollars for. 25 dollars for a pizza you could buy for 2 dollars at the grocery. 10 dollars for a hamburger that could have came from mcdonalds. The oldhickory is good, but Ruths Chris is better for the same money. There are many good resturants in Nashville for less money. I suggest you eat somewhere else.

If you're staying in Nashville, don't stay here. It is not worth the price, and does this area a disservice. Nashville is not an expensive city by any means but after staying here you would be lucky to have any money left to see the sights, which are really far away from this hotel.

I am horribly dissapointed with my stay and would only come back again if the room were free and I only payed parking and resort fee. That 33 dollars is about what these rooms were wroth. Not only would I not recommend this hotel to a friend, I would not even recommend this hotel to a terrorist.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Greer, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2009

My husband and I arrived at the hotel for our honeymoon and were greeted by a very polite gentleman that even offered to bring "something special" up to the room in celebration of our honeymoon. The gift basket arrived with all sorts of goodies, but the goodies were also covered in lotion. My husband had to wipe down all the food in the basket before I even touched it. Nice thought though. The next morning, we met Holly at the conceirge desk and she was super helpful by giving us directions to some local attrations and even pulling up menus and various restaurants there we were interested in trying.
The quality of the room was OK. The weekend before we had spent the night in Pigeon Forge on the way to Nashville and actually stayed in a nicer room that was 1/3 the cost of The Gaylord. Overall the experience was nice, just be prepared to spend lots of money on food in the hotel and parking.
Also, if you are interested in spending most of your time in downtown Nashville the hotel is about a 20 minute drive.

• Liked — hotel atmosphere and customer service
  • Disliked — food expense and average quality of rooms
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

Stayed at the Gaylord Opryland for a convention in Feb 09. Rooms are basic - mine had a dirty floor with what looked like gum stuck on the carpet by the work desk. Furniture was a bit battered but looked OK. Bed was comfortable but small (I had a 2 double bedded room - no kings available I was told). Bed has very flimsy blanket - no comfy amenities here - I had to take the blanket off the second bed to say warm. Very small and dark closet and very small vanity/dressing and bathroom areas - I'm a petite woman and I was banging elbows constantly.

For those reviewers who complain of no coffee in the rooms - there *IS* a coffeemaker in the room but it is hidden underneath the second vanity sink and I never recieved refills of the coffee once I used it up despite leaving the coffee maker and used wrappers in plain site for maids to notice. Room did have a refrigerator which was nice. The "resort fee" charged daily included 2 bottles of water so stick them in the frig and use them. I did get replacements of the water so I wondered why no replacements for the coffee?! In room safe is too small to accommodate a laptop - something I like to keep locked up when not in the room.

Benefits - the "outside" of the resort is quiet unique - most rooms face into a glass dome covered area with plants, water features and restaurants. You'll feel like you are in a "Biosphere" with pumped in air, a glass roof and tons of plants and waterfalls all inside this huge resort. There are four main lodging areas: Cascades, Delta, Garden Conservatory and Magnolia. I recommend a room facing into the covered greenery of Cascades, Garden Conservatory or Delta. Rooms in Magnolia are close to the convention area but are lacking a view into the covered gardens - they look out into the outdoor pool area which was cold and closed during my stay. A few rooms seem to jut way out into parking lots and these are a must to avoid.

Also - bring your wallet and expect to spend a lot of $$$ at this resort. Everything is overpriced. I did not get a chance to do this, but some colleagues walked to the nearby mall and ate for much more reasonable rates. I think they believe they have you held captive and so can charge riduculous prices.

It was nice to wander the garden paths running between the convention area and my room. Negative of this - lots of mileage to cover to get to the convention area and back - pack COMFORTABLE shoes! Also - the rooms can be loud because you are facing outward into a dome covered general area with restaurants, waterfalls, music and clubs!

Overall - it was a unique environment. Restaurants were just OK and overpriced. Rooms just OK. Fine for a convention but we even noticed many "clubs" and resaurants were closed or did not have live music as advertised so even the entertainment options post-meeting were a bit limited.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
New Providence, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

The Gaylord Opryland feels like the Tennessee version of the "Truman Show". It is an artificial setting, very convenient for conventions and other large venues. But unless you are drawn to this location by a corporate event, why would you go here? It is expensive and you see nothing of the city. I would rather select a downtown hotel, within walking distance of the great music bars. And if you really want an all-inclusive resort, then go to Disneyland, where at least you can enjoy fun attractions!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!