“Great hotel if you're attending a convention here” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$50 Nightly Credit
Ranked #44 of 150 hotels in Nashville
San Francisco, California
“Great hotel if you're attending a convention here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I haven't stayed at the Opryland Hotel in probably 20 years. While it's still a beautiful hotel and the service is fine, it definitely seems much more corporate in how it's run. It's a great place to stay if you're attending a convention onsite and it's beautiful to walk around in the different atriums. There's a sports bar and some restaurants in the resort. There are shuttles to the Broadway area of downtown which is good for nightlife. There's also an airport shuttle bus so you probably don't really need a car. I think the bus is $30 each way but a rental car will cost a lot more than that and a taxi is only slightly cheaper. There's a spa (didn't use it) and shopping in the hotel. There's an outlet mall called Opry Mills with restaurants and a movie theater next door as well as the Grand Ole Opry theater. I have to admit the hotel and area was much more charming 20 years ago before they tore down the theme park. At the hotel, they would turn down your bed at night and leave a Goo Goo cluster on your pillow (as I recall) and there was a harp player in the Cascades atrium. That being said, the rooms are well appointed, comfortable and quiet. I would stay here again if there was a conference to attend. I'm not sure I'd be back in Nashville otherwise, especially in summer.

Room Tip: Facing one of the inner atriums is awesome.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

4,258 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,371)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Massive disappointment doesn't begin to express my feelings after convincing my company to blow over a thousand dollars for two rooms for 3 nights. In addition to the hotel placing me literally as far as possible from the convention they knew I was coming to attend, there was exactly one point of entry to reach the room which involved going up and down stairs each time, circling the escalators which don't reach the first floor. The service access door (2 doors away from my room, was closed exactly once in the four days I was there, turning the nice painted, carpeted hall instead into linoleum and cinder blocks. The humidity never fell below 70% in the room...much less the conservatory. The bathtub drain was rusted, the window, which led to a view of the back side of plants, was covered in condensation drop marks, never cleaned while I was there. The center of the hotel which I was forced to trek across for every meeting of the convention was completely shut down for 8 hours for a two hour event in the afternoon, leading to 7 extra flights of required stairs each direction. The food within the resort, excepting a small desert or drink was beyond the per dorm allowed for by my company's travel policies. I was greeted by their personnel exactly 4 times in 4 days, twice by the same valet on the last day.
All in all, I was exceptionally disappointed. Had I paid personally instead of my company, I would have absolutely left and demanded my entire cost be returned to me. The were no apologies for any of the shortcomings.

Extremely disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013
Fountain Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I am just going to update the property since our last stay. We decided to stay at Opryland the last night we were in Nashville and give it a second chance since it is now a Marriott property.

When checking in to the hotel, expect a long wait to get to valet for parking, my suggestion is that you self-park. Still costly at $20 for a 24 hour period. Expect a very long wait to simply check-in. I waited in line for right at an hour to check-in. The gentleman behind me had to get out of line and go to baggage storage as he couldn't wait any longer as he had a meeting and dinner to get to at the hotel. When you finally get to the front desk to check-in, there was no apology for the long wait, it seemed like it was just the way it is. Depending on where your room is located, it could be a very long walk.

The hotel is beautiful and if you want a nice view pay extra for a room with a small balcony overlooking the atrium. Once you are in tucked in to your room and the hotel, you aren't going to want to try and leave. So you will want to have dinner at one of the restaurants on property and they can be quite expensive. We wanted a bottle of wine to enjoy on our balcony. My husband spent 45 minutes wandering the hotel looking for a store to buy a bottle, or simply to buy 2 glasses to bring to the room. He finally found a bottle in the pizzeria and the resort fee they tacked on was ridiculous.

This is our second stay and I don't need to do it again, which is to bad since we are Marriott rewards members.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The staff are very nice here, but that's about the only thing this hotel has going for it. The restaurants are WAY over priced, the signage throughout the hotel is confusing and the rooms aren't very comfortable. I feel like the atrium is an over indulged take on a kahunaville. This is definitely NOT my kind of hotel, reminds me of being trapped on a really big expensive terrible cruise ship.

• Stayed April 2013
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

In addition to it's fantastic proximity to the Grand Old Opry & Downtown Nashville, it has a huge selection of restaurants, shops, attractions, etc. on property. I loved it!
My room was amazing, with a little balcony overlooking the interior, quiet, super clean and the bathroom was very updated.
I stayed here during a conference, and I must say it's the best I've experienced for not having a car. I could enjoy everything from the sports bar to fantastic sushi. I highly recommend

Room Tip: Tip: Ask for an interior room, you won't regret it!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Walbridge, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Check in was slow, but after we were in our room, the rest of the stay was nice. The room was clean, staff very friendly and helpful. Our only complaint is that there was 1 place to get coffee in the morning and the lines were ridiculously long.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
ALTOONA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Be prepared to walk and walk and walk. Find a good map if you are there for meetings. If you are just there for pleasure roam and enjoy. Shuttle service gets you where you want to go.

Room Tip: Amazing views from every window. Get a balcony and enjoy
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!