“Opryland Hotel - sounds like a treat, but beware!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
A Country Christmas
Ranked #49 of 149 Hotels in Nashville
Sharpsburg, GA
“Opryland Hotel - sounds like a treat, but beware!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I will begin by saying that this was the third time I have stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel; though there were a few minor errors the last time I stayed, everything was worked out comfortably and quickly. This time, however, I am angry that my reservations were not accurate. As a gift to my parents, my husband and I took my parents to Nashville (to see the Emancipation Proclamation exhibit and visit relatives). Early January, I booked two rooms by phone - 1 handicap accessible, king bed, atrium view and 1 regular, king bed, atrium view. I thought that by speaking with someone, no errors would be made. Joe, the person in reservations I spoke with, went over my reservation twice on the phone. However when we arrived mid-February, I had to wait at the front desk for more than 15 minutes only to be told that there were no more handicap accessible rooms available. (I was not waiting in line - I was waiting at the desk, talking with a front desk clerk. She left the desk twice for a length of time and returned with a manager.)

My dad is paralyzed on one side, so he needs the accessibility options. After two lengthy waits, the manager agreed to discount both rooms (what amounted to one free night for my parents' room) and move my parents to a handicap accessible room "first thing in the morning." They were to call me the next morning. We awoke at a leisurely time, ate breakfast, and prepared to visit the Hermitage. I had yet to hear from the hotel staff about my parents' room, so I called the front desk. I spoke with Bobbie who assured me they would move my parents to a king bed, handicap accessible, atrium view room. My parents repacked their bags and left them inside their door as requested by Bobbie. As we neared the Hermitage, I received another call from someone who sounded surprised that I had already spoken to someone about the room. When we arrived back at the hotel, we picked up new key cards to my parents' new room. It was handicapped accessible, though there were two queen beds and a terrible atrium view (only restaurant and people). Again, they were not given the room which I reserved for them. I returned to my room and called the front desk, only to be told that there were no more king bed, handicapped accessible rooms available and an, "I'm sorry." That evening when we returned from dinner, there was a message from Sarah to call her. I tried to call her and she was gone for the evening. The person answering said she would leave Sarah a message that I had returned her call. I didn't hear anything else from Sarah during the rest of our stay or since we have returned home.

I am aghast that a hotel would treat handicap people in this manner - it's both dangerous and disrespectful. My dad could have fallen without the handrails. Also, he was unable to take a "real" shower the next morning before we left the hotel.

On a positive note, the hotel is lovely as ever and clean; and the staff (except for reservations) are friendly, polite, and seem to genuinely care.

From now on, I will recommend that people stay at The Hermitage Hotel downtown. We ate lunch there on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and service. We also were wowed by the hotel in general! We'll be staying there during our next visit to Nashville!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cascades area. The atrium views are lovely, though only from the 3rd floor up. If y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,663)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

This is a must if visiting Nashville. A HUGE property ( over 2100 rooms) and you may feel you need a map to find your room. Very good selection of restaurants and the best room service dining in the state - without question.

Building maintained to a high standard, often has 5000 people milling around when busy but you would never really notice. Great staff all who seemed happy at their work, with nothing a problem to them. One of the best hotels in the USA !

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
indianapolis, indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous weekend at the Gaylord Opryland resort! The resort is beautiful... The atriums with all the plants and flowers, the rooms themselves, the lobby with a gorgeous glass centerpiece. All of the employees were kind and helpful, especially since the hotel was super busy with conventions. There are so many restaurants to choose from at the hotel. We ate lunch at the Irish pub, great fish and chips and a delicious beet salad. We had an amazing dinner at The Old Hickory Steakhouse, the salmon was perfectly cooked and seasoned so well, and my husband thought his filet was perfect.

You could spend your whole vacation just exploring the hotel and it's shops, but we did venture out and there is a fantastic mall just a quick walk away. The Grand Old Opry House is also just a 5 minute walk, and a must do when you are there.

We will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Crossville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We had another good year at Opryland. This is my third year staying here for a convention and I love it. The hotel is huge, the first year I was lost most of the time. Now I know to ask for a room in the Delta wing so I'm close to everything I need. The staff is constantly helpful and the rooms (though not the biggest) are alway nice. If you don't mind spending a few more dollars the rooms overlooking the gardens make you feel like your in a tropical destination. No need to leave the hotel for meals, they have a number of good too excelent restaurants ranging from simple coffee shops to five star dinning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Roswell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My family stayed here for 2 nights and we all had a wonderful time. There is something for everyone at this hotel. We all loved exploring the various gardens. My kids had a great time at the indoor pool which is very large and offers a nice towel service. I would bring cover ups for walking thorugh the hotel because it can be a long walk from your room. The fitness center is very well appointed and features several of each main type of cardio machine along with large weight machines and free weights. There are also medicine balls, a jump rope, steps, and mats. If you are an avid gym buff you will find everything you need here for a good workout. They have a wonderful gelato place inside the hotel and you can enjoy your treat on one of the many garden benches. There is also a lot of shopping both inside the hotel and next door at the outlet mall which is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. I would definitely recommend self parking even though it is a long walk because you will wait awhile for them to bring your car around if you do valet. The breakfast at Cascades is my only complaint. For a huge resort this was seriously lacking and is the only restaurant in the hotel to offer a sit down breakfast. The buffet was very small and only offered the basic choices. They really should include items such as yogurt and cereal. I would recommend Marche near downtown Nashville if you are looking for a good breakfast/brunch place. Their croissant french toast is out of this world! It is also a yuppy haven for those of us who need a quick fix of this after being in Nashville for awhile (you will know what I mean when you visit :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor do not have a balcony. I wish we had one because it would've been nice to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Mega-sized hotel and convention centre. However big, the service was impeccable with both room service and solving a few minor hickups calling the "consider-it-done" line during my stay was effecient and to the point.

Not exactly the place for a romantic outing, but for a conference hotel it delivered unusually good service, large rooms and everything delivered to high standard.

Room Tip: There are three or four distinctly different styled areas of the hotel, as it has been expanded over...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

First visit to Nashville with my husband & three children, (15, 14, & 9). My parents and my sister with her son's, (16 & 18) met us there. We were only there from Friday to Sunday. Needed more time to see the entire resort because it is so big. We loved all of the gardens that surrounded you every where you went. So many things to do while never leaving the resort. One of the best features was being able to let our older children go adventure on thier own. Security was great and the game room was conviently located in first floor close to resturants & checkin. Keep an eye out for specials.. Even when you are about to check in. I happened to look and saw an Anniversary special while we were cking in. It was for any room type and it was to stay o e night & get second night free. Just so happen my parents Anniversary was week prior. I did have to call the reservation number for the change in package but we saved $280.! That payed for everyone to go to the Grand Ole Opry. The tickets were only between $28 to $35 and shuttle took us there and back for free. Get the show details eary when you arrive so you can decide if the artist you like will be there Friday or Sat so you can pick best show for you. We had a garden view with terrace and it was perfect for our family. Beautiful view!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!