I will begin by saying that this was the third time I have stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel; though there were a few minor errors the last time I stayed, everything was worked out comfortably and quickly. This time, however, I am angry that my reservations were not accurate. As a gift to my parents, my husband and I took my parents to Nashville (to see the Emancipation Proclamation exhibit and visit relatives). Early January, I booked two rooms by phone - 1 handicap accessible, king bed, atrium view and 1 regular, king bed, atrium view. I thought that by speaking with someone, no errors would be made. Joe, the person in reservations I spoke with, went over my reservation twice on the phone. However when we arrived mid-February, I had to wait at the front desk for more than 15 minutes only to be told that there were no more handicap accessible rooms available. (I was not waiting in line - I was waiting at the desk, talking with a front desk clerk. She left the desk twice for a length of time and returned with a manager.)
My dad is paralyzed on one side, so he needs the accessibility options. After two lengthy waits, the manager agreed to discount both rooms (what amounted to one free night for my parents' room) and move my parents to a handicap accessible room "first thing in the morning." They were to call me the next morning. We awoke at a leisurely time, ate breakfast, and prepared to visit the Hermitage. I had yet to hear from the hotel staff about my parents' room, so I called the front desk. I spoke with Bobbie who assured me they would move my parents to a king bed, handicap accessible, atrium view room. My parents repacked their bags and left them inside their door as requested by Bobbie. As we neared the Hermitage, I received another call from someone who sounded surprised that I had already spoken to someone about the room. When we arrived back at the hotel, we picked up new key cards to my parents' new room. It was handicapped accessible, though there were two queen beds and a terrible atrium view (only restaurant and people). Again, they were not given the room which I reserved for them. I returned to my room and called the front desk, only to be told that there were no more king bed, handicapped accessible rooms available and an, "I'm sorry." That evening when we returned from dinner, there was a message from Sarah to call her. I tried to call her and she was gone for the evening. The person answering said she would leave Sarah a message that I had returned her call. I didn't hear anything else from Sarah during the rest of our stay or since we have returned home.
I am aghast that a hotel would treat handicap people in this manner - it's both dangerous and disrespectful. My dad could have fallen without the handrails. Also, he was unable to take a "real" shower the next morning before we left the hotel.
On a positive note, the hotel is lovely as ever and clean; and the staff (except for reservations) are friendly, polite, and seem to genuinely care.
From now on, I will recommend that people stay at The Hermitage Hotel downtown. We ate lunch there on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and service. We also were wowed by the hotel in general! We'll be staying there during our next visit to Nashville!!
- Also Known As:
- Gaylord Opryland Hotel Nashville
- The Opryland Hotel
- Opryland Hotel Nashville
- Gaylord Opryland Resort
- Gaylord Opryland Hotel
- Gaylord Opryland
- Gaylord Opryland Hotel Packages
- Nashville Gaylord Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center, located at 2800 Opryland Drive in Nashville, Tenn., is the flagship property of Gaylord Hotels and is part of the Marriott portfolio of brands. The newly-renovated resort features 2,881 rooms and more than 600,000 square feet of meeting, convention and exhibit space. The property is best known for its signature glass roofs and nine acres of lavish indoor gardens and waterfalls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Tingo, Travelocity and HotelsClick so you can book your Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.