“Fantastic get-away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 151 Hotels in Nashville
Marietta, Ga
“Fantastic get-away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We had seen the hotel on "Extreme Christmas" on the Travel Channel a few years back and decided we had to go - we had a wonderful, relaxing time - just fun wandering the property, seeing the decorations. A nice way to kick off our Christmas season this year.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,824)
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

Birthday suprise from my boyfriend. A quick weekend getaway. We did not want to leave, the hotel is beyond anything you can imagine. A mini town within the hotel, beautiful gardens, waterfalls and streams throughout. Very romantic and relaxing. Room was clean, all staff was welcoming and friendly at front desk. This place is pricey though, plan to spend a lot of money especially if you plan on eating there. One thing I was unhappy about was the daily parking fee. Many people come to visit without staying, in which I can understand a parking fee, but for those who have already paid so much to stay I find this unneccesary. The parking lots were always were full and required a lot of walking, which wasn't the best when you had luggage. Overall as long as you have the cash, this place is well worth every penny :)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Huntsville
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Opryland is beautiful and offers plenty to do, but I never, ever want to go there again. I've said it before, but this last trip has sent me over the edge. We go annually to see the Rockettes and/or Ice, both of which are spectacular. Next year we will sleep somewhere else and drive over to the Grand Ole Opry House, which is very do-able with its convenient and expansive parking. It is not necessary to stay in the hotel to enjoy its many attractions.

If you do stay at Opryland expect a beautiful, lush hotel. Also expect to see very little of it, because it is sooo dimly lit you can hardly see, well anything at all. Of course you are never really looking at anything but a map anyway, because the property is so large and sprawling that you will never know exactly where you are, and it will never be where you need to be. And wear comfortable shoes for this purpose too. Which means don't dress up in this luxury hotel.

Which brings up a whole other point: food. Cascades is the place to eat; it's the only convenient place in the whole hotel, and the only one with consistently good food (not my first trip and we have eaten at them all). Expect your service to be sub-par. On this particular trip, at Cascades we had our children's chicken fingers dropped on the floor by wait staff (no replacements) and a tea spilled onto my husband during our hour-and-a-half long lunch due to slow service. At the Hickory House we paid over $250 for a meal that was mediocre at best with service that was "over-trying." The staff was fawning all over us, but they never really "did" anything. We had 5 people sitting at a 6 person table, thankfully, because we never had a single dish cleared throughout the meal: the 6th seat became a clearinghouse station for the pileup of dishes we accumulated. For that kind of bill (3 on our table were kids meals) I'd expect a tad better service.

The check in and check out process was lengthy. At Christmas time, a very busy time of year, they had training staff working who clearly needed much more training. The girl who checked us in could not work the credit card machine and had to call for backup help and messed up the transaction so bad she had to call our bank to straighten it all out before she could get us cleared back up to check in. (By the way, the room was already pre-paid for, how she managed to do all of this, I will never understand.) The valet service was way overcrowded. The baggage was forever getting up to our room. I had quicker service at Disney World.

Really, for the price I paid here, I felt like I should have been in Disney World, or at least on a fancy vacation, but not in just a nice hotel in Nashville. Next time we will make our magical memories by staying at a chain hotel down the street--probably with a free breakfast--and driving over to see the entertainment. Or maybe we will pay for a luxury hotel --but I know of a better one downtown that has the best service and the most delicious restaurant I've ever experienced. Not sure which it will be, but it won't be Opryland.

Mansfield, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband had a short conference at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in November and I decided to go along as I had heard great things about the hotel. The hotel was amazing, very large but easy to manuever around as they have signs with directions posted everywhere. It is like a little indoor city with beautiful greenery, flowers, waterfalls, pathways, bridges, restaurants, bars, shopping . . . you name it the hotel had it. Although ours did not, many of the hotel rooms had little balconies overlooking the atrium area. We enjoyed some amazing sushi at the Wasabi Restaurant, drinks and entertainment at Jack Daniels. Many of the guests ventured to the downtown bars to listen to the country music artists, unfortunately we didn't have enough time to enjoy that, but heard really great things from others. The resort was 90% decorated for Christmas, so that was an added bonus, spectacular outdoor lighting and the biggest indoor Christmas tree I've ever seen. Although it was a short trip, it will be one I remember for years to come.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Powell, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We had never stayed at the Gaylord Opryland property before. We arrived at 2:45 PM on Sat Dec 31 for our New Years Eve check-in. What a nightmare! The hotel was SOLD OUT. It appears that everyone (hundreds to possible more than 1,000 new guests) arrive at the same time. I dont think anyone was celebrating NYE anywhere else. They were all here (so were the fans attending the Music City bowl game). Coming off Briley parkway you have to make the decision to either be in the Check-in/Hotel lane or Self Park lane - the attendants that are out on the access road ask the question - "Are you an overnight guest?" They dont ask you if you are checking in. So we went into Self-Park which is $18.00 per day by the way. Then found our way to the Guest Check-in/lobby. Surprisingly, check-in was handled in an expediant manner. I completed check-in within 5 minutes. We were given a map with our room number already generated on it and we made our way through the maze of gorgeous atriums and found our room in the Magnolia section - tastefully decorated and operating room clean. I was then faced with the dilemma of how to get all our luggage from the car out in the Self Park lot - which seemed to be a day's trek. Armed with my room card I moved the car from Self Park to the Magnolia entrance. Keep in mind that this was Sat New Years Eve - dont expect any help from luggage/bell service at any entry point other than the primary hotel check-in spot. I hand carried (no luggage carts available) to our room making 5 trips. Then relocated our vehicle to the Self Park lot. On a holiday weekend, dont expect any primo spots. I parked about 600 yards away from the nearest hotel entry point. It gets that bad. Lets chat about restaurants. Most of them, actually all of them will take your breath away when you check out the menu prices. I expect to pay these prices at J Alexanders (well actually lower at J Alexander's and other fine dining establishments) but everyone food venue at Gaylord Opryland is priced staggeringly high. We ate at Jack Daniel's once and it wasnt as expensive as some of the others. We also ate at Fuse Sports Club and the Irish Pub over in the Magnolia section. Also ate at Staxx (hamburgers) in the Delta Atrium area. Our catered breakfast buffet was very satisfactory in the Governor's ballroom on New Years morning. Yes, one could go off-site for some meals, Cracker Barrel, Shoney's and a few others are about a 700 yard hike across McGavock Pike (to the north). The Opry land Mall would be even a worse hike because of all the flood related construction and no restaurants are open there as of this writing. Bring breakfast food snacks as well as others so that you may snack in the room. But, beware, there is only a fridge. There is NO microwave. Beware of the $16.00 per person resort fee as well as the $18/daily Self Park fee. There is no getting around it. This may appear to be a negative review. But we are frequent cruisers and partake of the some of the best restaurants wherever we go. Every hotel staff member we encountered went out of their way to be courteous. Will we come back? Yes! In fact, we booked for next year same time - now that we know the ropes and know what to expect. This property is beyond beautiful - especially at the Christmas holidays - and on New Years Day, the NYE crowd and the football fans were gone!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
st clair michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

we stayed in this hotel with four kids on new years eve. They and many other kids we met were all ready to go for a swim when we discovered the ONLY indoor pool in this huge hotel was closed . I know they had a health issue, but I guess i just assumed that the pools they showed in the brochure were available for the kids , when indeed they were outside and it was Janurary.
This really put a downer in our evening , and I heard from many others the same. It would have been so nice to have had a back up pool for the kids. For 250 dollars a nite , there was little else included for them to do.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I was so excited to have the opportunity to stay at Gaylord Opryland during my recent trip to the South. This was my first stay since the great flood and of course Gaylord's came through with flying colors. Check in was prompt, pleasant, and professional. My bags were delivered promptly to my room and the bellman was excellent (provided us some great suggestions for our downtown visit). The room was beautiful and exceptionally clean! The beds were very comfortable. There is not a bad view anywhere in the hotel - it is beautiful! We ate at the FUSE sports bar while being entertained by an excellent band (Lucas Hoge.) The food was a great value (one appetizer filled three of us up)! Parking was easy (and relatively close to our room). By far and away - the QUALITY of everything stands out. Personnel, rooms, food, entertainment - everything. Gaylord knows how to do it right. I recommend their hotels to EVERYONE with enthusiasm. A great value. Do NOT pass this up!

Room Tip: Reserve your room early. If you have not been here - ask the reservationist for suggestions on room...